Thread: Rand Paul blasts PATRIOT Act Surveillance on Senate Floor During Last Minute Debate (VIDEO)

Rand Paul blasts PATRIOT Act Surveillance on Senate Floor During Last Minute Debate (VIDEO)

Rand Paul blasts PATRIOT Act Surveillance on Senate Floor During Last Minute Debate
    Section 215 is set to expire tonight.

Scott Shackford | May. 31, 2015 5:40 pm

"Get a warrant!"

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) took to the Senate floor Sunday afternoon as debate wrapped up to reiterate, very, very loudly, his opposition to renewing the mass data collection authorities of Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act. He had argue with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) over Senate procedures first to get permission to speak. McCain, for his part, argued that the increase in terrorism (he said the Middle East is literally burning) is proof that we need Section 215 "more than ever," despite the lack of evidence that the mass collection under Section 215 actually contributed in any successful efforts to halt terrorist attacks.

Paul noted that "the right to be left alone" is one of our most cherished of rights. And in response to senators like Dan Coats (R-Ind.) saying Americans had been deceived by surveillance opponents, Paul reminded the Senate floor and C-Span viewers, "The head of intelligence agency lied to the American people, and he still works there." And he also reminded the Senate that a federal court has already ruled that Section 215 doesn't actually authorize mass metadata collection about Americans. Paul's position: Want to get records about Americans suspsected of crimes? Get a warrant. Paul is tweeting out some quotes from his speech here.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/31/ra...ct-surveillanc

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    anyone care to still question Rands bonafides?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I watched it live. Rand was Awesome!!!

I'm watching live now.. I get the impression Rand is running out the clock till midnight when it expires? He's going to talk four more hours?

Fox has been showing short segments of Rand speaking and I thought that that was quite interesting.

What ticks me off, is it seems through the live stream right now; that everyone has left other than those speaking against.. What the hell do we pay these f'kers for? If you're called for a vote on something at 4:00 and there are arguments against it.... you better sit your ass down and expect a long night. I say it again.... just dump the Congress and Executive Branch .... It's just a bunch of welfare kings and queens.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.