Thread: The Rise of Scientific Fundamentalism

The Rise of Scientific Fundamentalism

The Rise of Scientific Fundamentalism

By: Larry Malerba, DO

Contrary to the beliefs of some, science is not an impenetrable body of settled fact that must be defended at all costs in the name of truth. When science becomes a worldview—a philosophy of life, a metaphysical framework that explains existence—it is no longer science; it is scientism.

Anti-Holistic Conspiracy or Reality?

Contrary to the beliefs of some, science is not an impenetrable body of settled fact that must be defended at all costs in the name of truth. It is not a means by which to determine truth or to achieve absolute certainty. Neither is science a worldview. When science becomes a worldview—a philosophy of life, a metaphysical framework that explains existence—it is no longer science; it is scientism.

A series of recent events have something peculiar in common. There was a call for Dr Oz to be removed from his academic post at Columbia University. Measles hype triggered a spate of legislative efforts across the country designed to restrict freedom of vaccine choice. The FDA decided to conduct a regulatory review of the status of homeopathic medicines. And most recently, a rather odd series of articles appeared in the press downplaying the significance of Chipotle's move towards a GMO-free (genetically-modified organisms) menu.

The common thread is that these events were fueled by extremist elements within the scientific world whose intent is to control the narrative of what is and what is not considered to be acceptable or "real" science. These fundamentalist and corporate agitators, who act ostensibly in the name of science, can be likened to religious zealots who seek to impose their version of sacred scientific dogma upon the general public while at the same time prohibiting what they believe to be new heretical ideas from receiving a fair hearing.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Science: Extremists. Religious Zealots. Sacred Dogma.

Thomas Kuhn: The Structure Of Scientific Revolutions

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I think this simple image says it all.

Apart from that, I was taught that as a scientist your highest goal is to prove that your theory is WRONG. Not that your theory is right. People forget this as soon as the results of scientific research influences politics.
    "I am a bird"

But it's their theory and humans always end up with the same goal.... SELF.

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-.../dp/0374533555
    FJB

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I think this simple image says it all.

Apart from that, I was taught that as a scientist your highest goal is to prove that your theory is WRONG. Not that your theory is right. People forget this as soon as the results of scientific research influences politics.
    Yeah, I don't like that talking point because it poses science as some sort of selfless charitable venture in which everyone involved would sacrifice their lives for the truth in spite of their own interests. It's really just a talking point for the people who believe in that kind of thing, that science is some kind of fountain of truth in which no dogma can ever survive. Any system, no matter its intention, will be corrupted whether we realize it or not. The "every scientist tries to prove themselves wrong" line is really just a talking point of people who want us to trust in the authority of the scientific establishment and the talking heads who supposedly represent that mindset.

The veracity of scientists is really no more special than any other profession, so it's a bit harmful to attach this selfless altruistic mindset to science while casting a watchful eye toward every other profession and questioning everything that comes from their midst.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG