Thread: Yes, Rand Paul made a mistake in blaming the GOP for ISIS

Yes, Rand Paul made a mistake in blaming the GOP for ISIS

This week has been an object lesson for Rand Paul and his followers in framing the foreign policy debate. I would argue that Rand Paul made a tactical and political error in failing to frame his attack against President Obama and Hillary Clinton rather than the GOP. Here’s what I imagine Rand Paul’s advisers would coach him to say. Something along the lines of:

(In response to the ridiculous accusation from Lindsey Graham that Sen. Paul’s ideas helped ISIS grow.) I would say it’s exactly the opposite. ISIS exists and grew stronger because of Hillary Clinton and her lap dogs in our party who gave arms indiscriminately, and most of those arms were snatched up by ISIS. Hillary and her supporters also wanted to bomb Assad, which would have made ISIS’ job even easier. They created these people. ISIS is all over Libya because the same hawks in my party loved Hillary Clinton’s war in Libya, they just wanted more of it.
    More: http://iroots.org/2015/05/28/yes-ran...-gop-for-isis/
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    wow, you're a genius

like the time he said cheney went to war for profits
    or that he would nullify all executive orders
    etc
    etc
    etc

nothing new here
    big deal

definitely not deserving anything like an article devoted to it

This is not a response to what he said its a talking point that they would of pushed regardless, they were just waiting for momentum just like when he announced. He just needs to retaliate and he can make this a strength.

Rand is playing a game of chess, he knows what he is doing.

What do you do when you are trying to reel in a big fish? You yank on the fishing pole to get it closer, then slowly wind in, wind in, wind in, then you yank again, then wind in wind in wind in.

You have to change it up. He's been attacking Hillary for weeks. The media needs a different story to keep him in the news, they can't go on the same story over and over. But you can switch it back and forth. Having his opponents keep putting his name out there isn't a bad thing. People will wonder why he isn't listed in the polls.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by radiofriendly View Post
    This week has been an object lesson for Rand Paul and his followers in framing the foreign policy debate. I would argue that Rand Paul made a tactical and political error in failing to frame his attack against President Obama and Hillary Clinton rather than the GOP. Here’s what I imagine Rand Paul’s advisers would coach him to say. Something along the lines of:

The majority of GOP voters will NEVER support nation building.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

This was one of Rand's best weeks so far. He's not going to inspire support by towing the standard war party line.

He didn't blame the GOP. He only blamed certain of its treasonous members whose foreign policy runs against the grain of many decades Republican nonintervention. Part of Rand's job is to show conservative American voters that these hawks are neither traditional Republicans nor patriotic, but rather something quite different. I prefer to let Rand and his staff fill in the blanks.
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-28-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Rand should start calling the hawks out for being progressives. Making a contrast between him being a traditional Republican and them being progressives would resonate with average Republican voters.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldn't call Rand's attack a tactical error, I would call it getting the ugly stuff out of the way well before it can really hurt him. Sooner or later Frothy, ***** Lindsey or one of the other chicken-hawks would have starting whining about Rand being pro-terrorism, might as well bloody their noses while they are within punching distance.

It is also forcing everyone to have a discussion the GOP must have if it is to take back the White House. The American electorate will not vote for the GOP until they will admit their mistakes.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

So, these Neo-cons and other "republicans" can attack him with falsehoods and deride him with mean spirited remarks left and right yet he is supposed to not retaliate? There is nothng false about what he said and they won't stop incorrectly framing him as out of step with the party, an isolationist, a democrat, etc. no matter what he says because they hate what he stands for. He might as well fight back and hit em with some real truth. At least he will have facts to back up his claims.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

I think he needs to avoid the word "exists" when it comes to ISIS

He needs to stay away from that and focus instead on ISIS being strengthened by acquiring those weapons we sent. "Exists" is a tricky word. Rand Paul could have meant ISIS could have been eliminated by now if not for the strengthening with those weapons and the weakening of Asad, but his opponents are rephrasing what he said to mean "brought into existence" and then it makes Rand's comment look wrong to the viewers.

He never blamed the GOP> he blamed hawks

Jan2017

This week has been an object lesson for Rand Paul and his followers in framing the foreign policy debate.
    . . .
    pretty simple to get the blinders off John and Jane Q. Public . . . if the US media were to allow it, imho.

The US media is hardly covering how often Rand brings up Libya . . .
    the future implications now from the trash left behind by the O'Bomber administration - the global results are
    felt global - whether or not the US media tycoons want their USA audience to know.

Foreign entanglements . . . and . . . arming ISIL, John McCain . . .

What he said wasn't any different than what he said before. The only difference is his opponents got a quick soundbite so they can feign outrage.

The context was never "the GOP created ISIS" it was "Warhawks inadvertently strengthened ISIS to what it is today because of their careless foreign policy".

Maybe Rand should have been more careful about giving them a soundbite, but it was going to happen eventually. No matter how he worded it, he was going to be attacked for it.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Rand should start calling the hawks out for being progressives. Making a contrast between him being a traditional Republican and them being progressives would resonate with average Republican voters.
    That's a good idea; maybe you should send it on to his team (not joking). They seem pretty sharp so maybe they are heading in that direction anyway. Who knows...worth emailing him.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand's comments about ISIS this week make him stand out from the rest of the crowd.

All of the "attacks" made against him this week only work for voters who already believe that the US needs to be spreading it's influence everywhere.

What these attacks really do is they make clear the difference between Rand an the other republican candidates. The other candidates are want to spread the US's influence in the middle east with war, and the other candidates would rather continue doing the same bad foreign policy than admit that the foreign policy is bad.

If it turns out that a non-aggressive foreign policy doesn't have enough support in the Republican party, than they all probably correct that Rand really isn't that much of a Republican.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    The majority of GOP voters will NEVER support nation building.
    Are you accidentally leaving off the sarc tag?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    He never blamed the GOP> he blamed hawks
    Yep. It would be better not to use the word "hawks" though. It's too broad, and too many people, especially in the GOP, will think it applies to them. That's the problem with any generalization. People who were not included in the intent of the statement might take offense. For all we know, "hawks" was a substitute for "neocons", which has been demonized by the cultural Marxist neocons.

Probably best to stick with specific attacks on Graham and McCain, whom he was really talking about. Most of the GOP does not relate to Lindsey, and will not take offense. Talk about McCain with the Jihadists in Syria. Throw in secret Benghazi arms dealings. Group them with Hillary. Point out the poor ratings of Graham and McCain by every conservative organization.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.