Thread: FL-Woman calls suicide hotline for depressed B/F. Gets cops instead, who kill him

Exclamation FL-Woman calls suicide hotline for depressed B/F. Gets cops instead, who kill him

Man Threatens Suicide, Police Kill Him

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...kill-him.html#

Justin Way was in bed with a knife. His girlfriend called a non-emergency number to try to get him into a hospital. Minutes later, cops shot him dead.

On May 11, Justin Way was drinking and threatening to hurt himself. His father, George Way, said his son was a recovering alcoholic and had been alcohol-free for five weeks.

“He just lost his job, and he had a setback,” he said.

Way’s live-in girlfriend, Kaitlyn Christine Lyons, said she’d caught Justin drinking a bottle of vodka, which she took away from him to pour out. She said he was drunk, lying in their bed with a large knife, saying he would hurt himself with it. She called a non-emergency number in an attempt to get her boyfriend to a local St. Augustine, Florida, hospital for help—and told them she did not feel threatened.

“My brother has been Baker Acted three times because he was threatening to hurt himself so I figured that would happen with Justin,” said Lyons. Florida’s Baker Act allows the involuntary institutionalization of an individual, and it can be initiated by law enforcement officials.

“The only person Justin threatened was himself and I honestly don’t think he wanted to die.”

Minutes later, two St. Johns County Sheriff’s deputies, 26-year-old Jonas Carballosa and 32-year-old Kyle Braig, arrived at the home, armed with assault rifles, and told Kaitlyn to wait outside.

“I thought they were going into war,” she remembered thinking when she first saw the large guns. Within moments, Justin was shot dead.

George Way said the initial report he received from Detective Mike Smith detailed an incident wherein his officers said they were attacked by Justin with a knife. Way said Smith told him Justin had threatened Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn denies this.

Denise Way, Justin’s mom, said the detective relayed to her that “they told Justin to drop the knife and he didn’t—so they shot him because ‘That’s what we do.’”

Denise said Smith then told her about “this new trend in law enforcement now—it’s called suicide by cop.” She said Smith explained “suicide by cop” is when suicidal people provoke the police in an effort to end their own lives.

She said Smith wouldn’t tell her family where or how many times their son was shot.

Justin’s parents do not believe their son was a threat, because they think Justin was shot while still lying in bed.

“If Justin was coming after them with a knife, at 6-foot-4, wouldn’t there be blood splattered all over the room?” George said.

Way’s parents brought Justin’s mattress to the curb after his death. George says he believes there was a bullet dug out of the bed from a hole found in the middle of it. He also said the blood was contained entirely within the mattress, and that it did not hit the walls or the floor.

“The only person Justin threatened was himself and I honestly don’t think he wanted to die.”

In a phone interview with Commander Chuck Mulligan of the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, The Daily Beast asked if it was standard procedure to bring assault rifles, but not mental health professionals, to a scene where someone is suicidal.

“If the deputies feel that that is the appropriate weapon system to use, then yes,” said Mulligan.

If the deputies used tasers and one prong missed, Mulligan said, they might be left in a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.

“They were in a very tight space within a residence,” he said.

Mulligan added that the difference between an assault rifle and a handgun would not have affected the outcome in Justin Way’s case.

“Whether it’s a rifle or not, in many senses, is a non-issue,” he said. “A bullet comes out of a handgun, a bullet comes out of a rifle.”

This wasn’t the first time that law enforcement in the area had been involved in a fatal shooting. One of the two officers that went into Justin Way’s home, Kyle Braig, was involved in a fatal shooting with a knife-wielding man five months ago. A few days after Way was killed, another suicidal man was injured by St Johns County deputies.

On Facebook, Jonas Carballosa, the second deputy involved in the Justin Way shooting, once posted the following quote: “Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.”

Way’s parents said they do not ever want to call the police again—for anything.

Kaitlyn Lyons said she hopes the police rethink how guns are used in cases where people are calling about those who are suicidal or seeking help.

“I think they should come in using other things,” she said. “And I think they definitely need to figure out how to handle suicidal people.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I thought they were going into war,”
    They were.

‘That’s what we do.’”
    Yes, it is.

Waaaahhhhhh I just don't understand why people don't trust the police anymore... It must be the mundane's fault, it can't possibly be our fault.

https://apbweb.com/hard-keep-caring/

Obviously, the only reason for citizens to not trust the police is they just don't know any police...

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...-dont-know-any

I just....I just don't understand...

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/...used/24203533/

For some reason, they just don't respect us like they used to...

http://www.copblock.org/113762/nj-po...t-say-yes-sir/

Way’s parents said they do not ever want to call the police again—for anything.
    Why? You don't think they did the right thing? You don't think they followed procedure? You don't think they acted appropriately? I mean they obviously didn't do anything wrong. They're not even facing disciplinary action. You should be happy. Problem solved. Could you imagine the hellish consequences if one prong missed? OMG!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Why? You don't think they did the right thing? You don't think they followed procedure? You don't think they acted appropriately? I mean they obviously didn't do anything wrong. They're not even facing disciplinary action. You should be happy. Problem solved. Could you imagine the hellish consequences if one prong missed? OMG!

It's obviously not the cop's fault that they do not respect the police anymore. Clearly they were just not raised right by their parents. Cops can do no wrong. And if they do do wrong, they get exonerated anyway, so they obviously still did no wrong. That means there is no rational reason for mundanes to hate cops. It must be their fault. Or their parents fault. Or anybody's fault except for the cops, who are heros. Especially when they rape and kill innocents. Then they are especially heroic.

Always respond to a lone isolated drunk possessing a knife with an automatic rifles. Don't call in a professional negotiator/physiologist.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Suicide by cop.

"Call us toll free!"
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

A shame.

Cop happy calling mfers these days.

On another note, I wonder what it costs consumers for the mandatory requirement of constant mobile phone availability of the police.

Meh. Just a few dollars a year per customer, I'd imagine. Nothing to get worked up over.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, it's interesting that the family appears to have taken pointed steps to *avoid* this very scenario (calling the *non*emergency number, etc.) Perhaps they were beginning to wake up, even then.

Ms. Lyons, your loss is very unfortunate, and I hope you and the poor man's family will find healing.

Regrettably, only The Enemy wins in cases like this, a fact lost on (or ignored by) those pastors who held Worship the Glorious State services several weeks a year.

Lord, protect this young woman and the young man's family. May the eyes of many be opened to the horrific price paid because of State-worship, and may the hearts and minds of many turn again to You.
    Last edited by Cissy; 05-30-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    To protect and serve whom?
    They protect themselves at all costs.

They serve the "Just Us" system.

Regrettably, only The Enemy wins in cases like this, a fact lost on (or ignored by) those pastors who held Worship the Glorious State services several weeks a year.
    Honestly, if every church in the nation went back to only worshipping God in church, that would fix a lot of issues.

As for the actual story, yeah, I'm at a loss at this point.

It wasn't the police that killed this man, it was his mental illness. So sad.

This is what people actually think.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

What is the current "Suicide by Cop" score?

I always thought that the purpose of a suicide hotline was to prevent suicides from happening, instead of causing them to happen
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
    You know, it's interesting that the family appears to have taken pointed steps to *avoid* this very scenario (calling the *non*emergency number, etc.) Perhaps they were beginning to wake up, even then.

Ms. Lyons, your loss is very unfortunate, and I hope and the poor man's family will find healing.

Lord, protect this young woman and the young man's family. May the eyes of many be opened to the horrific price paid because of State-worship, and may the hearts and minds of many turn again to You.
    Amen and yes, this.

They actually tried to "not call cops".

But the whole stinking edifice of medical facism is intertwined with the police state.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Amen and yes, this.

They actually tried to "not call cops".

But the whole stinking edifice of medical facism is intertwined with the police state.
    When I worked the ambulance crew at the Navy hospital we'd use a mattress for nutjobs and OD's (PCP), seems as though Joe citizen who has nutjobs they care for would be wise to learn the technique...

I may have mis-read that story when I wrote the headline.

It seems, from other reports, that she did indeed call the cops, but at a "non-emergency" number.

Well, you got what you called for: heavily armed, state berserkers.

Murderers for money.
    FJB

Another quote to go along with "this is what we do."

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/28/eve...s-the-gun.html

One of the officers has sterns words for people who disrespect him.

On Facebook, Jonas Carballosa, the second deputy involved in the Justin Way shooting, once posted the following quote:

Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Another quote to go along with "this is what we do."

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/28/eve...s-the-gun.html
    Yup...