Thread: Gender Wage Gap Bill in California Passes Senate Unanimously

Gender Wage Gap Bill in California Passes Senate Unanimously

Gender Wage Gap Bill Moves Along
    Thursday, May 28, 2015
    By Kelsey Brugger

A bill authored by Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson to close the gender wage gap passed off the Senate floor with a unanimous vote Tuesday. The California Fair Pay Act “would ensure that women are paid equally for work that is substantially similar to the work of their male colleagues, and do not face retaliation if they discuss or ask how much their male colleagues are paid,” Jackson’s office said. If signed into law, it would be the strongest piece of equal pay legislation in the country. The bill now heads to the Assembly.
    http://www.independent.com/news/2015...l-moves-along/

The Truth About the Gender Pay Gap

My response to State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson:

I am concerned about the gender wage gap bill being pushed through congress right now. I don't think it will be good for women at all, or anybody for that matter.

Not everybody gets paid the same to do the same work because people have varied levels of experience. So if a business owner hires a female who is less experienced to do work that is "substantially the same", they will be required to pay them the same as their more experienced male counterpart. This will make hiring a less experienced female for the position not very appealing, and so women who have less experience will have a difficult time finding employment. There is nothing barring hiring a less experience male and paying them less, and that is what businesses will do. And it won't be discriminatory against females, it will be a financially sound business decisions and a direct product of your bill. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and I'm afraid you are going to make finding work even more difficult for women when finding work is already difficult enough in these times.

Also consider that the data backing up the 'wage gap' is totally flawed. The real data shows that there are a lot of legitimate reasons why the general wage gap is large and why the true wage gap is probably closer to 2-3% and possibly completely non-existent when considering things like dangers on the job and mortality rates among workers.

Please also consider the following data presented by philosopher Stefan Molyneux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwZDRB3tZo
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why stop there? They deserve reparations for all the years they earned less. Plus interest.

Yep, the CA legislature must be in session, the PRC is sure on a roll today. C'mon folks drive some more citizens and businesses out of the state. Shrink that tax base, you know you can do it.

Lets see, we have the

Equal pay act
    lilly ledbetter fair pay act

What would an extra fair pay law going to achieve? Me thinks it is going to be a complete wash. Really good wage gap video in the link.

Man if i could underpay women, i'd hire just noting BUT women and make a fortune.

Where's the gender equality in family court bill Ca.?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Where's the gender equality in family court bill Ca.?
    Reported.
    FJB

MY question is, are they going to kill each other in that state before they fall into the ocean?
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As a single male who pays an excruciating amount of taxes because I am not married, and cannot become pregnant and get a judge to side with me in the custody fight so I can obtain tax breaks for the next 18 years, and at the rate I'm going, will never be able to file anyone who remotely qualifies as a dependent on my taxes, it's difficult for me to get terribly enthusiastic about this so-called 'gender equality.'

Men have always essentially been the providers in society, and if women truly want equal status, I'm all for it.

But you damned well had better be willing to wear the same chains I do as a single male.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

It's kind of interesting how men put up with being repeatedly targeted and abused through legislation, and yet don't respond to such attacks negatively in a political sense. A law such as this will guarantee a politician the woman vote, but will have barely any discernable impact as far as losing the votes of men. Are men just naturally self hating? Are they raised to accept unfair treatment as being what they deserve? I think it's an issue of self respect more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    MY question is, are they going to kill each other in that state before they fall into the ocean?

Just make it so no one can afford to live there. Sort of like how it is already.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    As a single male who pays an excruciating amount of taxes because I am not married, and cannot become pregnant and get a judge to side with me in the custody fight so I can obtain tax breaks for the next 18 years, and at the rate I'm going, will never be able to file anyone who remotely qualifies as a dependent on my taxes, it's difficult for me to get terribly enthusiastic about this so-called 'gender equality.'

Men have always essentially been the providers in society, and if women truly want equal status, I'm all for it.

But you damned well had better be willing to wear the same chains I do as a single male.

It's not always like that. When I got divorced from my ex I didn't go through the courts and got $150 a month child support. Daycare was $400 a month plus all the other expenses like medical care, etc. I was thrown into a near poverty situation. We don't have alimony in Texas. Not every woman benefits from divorce but yes many do take advantage of the laws now. Daycare is now twice what it cost back in the late 80s. I was trying to play fair but almost ended up in the poor house. The tax breaks weren't all that either. My ex was living quite well while we were eating beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Just make it so no one can afford to live there. Sort of like how it is already.
    I live in California. Cities and towns will increase employment costs to try to drive poor people out of their district into the next guy's district. Reducing crime rates and increasing property values. A lot of these really rich areas like to keep out the riff raff.

Illegals are of course, immune from this. But only if they don't try to move up the economic ladder, and keep themselves busy with farm work or cash only businesses, such as lawn care and plumbing services.

It's not always like that. When I got divorced from my ex I didn't go through the courts and got $150 a month child support. Daycare was $400 a month plus all the other expenses like medical care, etc. I was thrown into a near poverty situation. We don't have alimony in Texas. Not every woman benefits from divorce but yes many do take advantage of the laws now. Daycare is now twice what it cost back in the late 80s. I was trying to play fair but almost ended up in the poor house. The tax breaks weren't all that either. My ex was living quite well while we were eating beans.
    Would you rather be eating beans with your kids? Or eating steak by yourself? You got the better end of the deal hands down.
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 05-30-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    I live in California. Cities and towns will raise minimum wages to try to drive poor people out of their district into the next guy's district. Reducing crime rates and increasing property values. Illegals are of course, immune from this. But only if they don't try to move up the economic ladder, and keep themselves busy with farm work or cash only businesses, such as lawn care and plumbing services.

Would you rather be eating beans with your kids? Or eating steak by yourself? You got the better end of the deal hands down.
    Really? I would say the ex got off easy. It's one thing to demand that a man pay for his children and the exes living cost but it's totally fair to ask that the father pay atleast half of his children's expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Really? I would say the ex got off easy. It's one thing to demand that a man pay for his children and the exes living cost but it's totally fair to ask that the father pay atleast half of his children's expenses.
    Children he never gets to see? In my opinion, if a woman wants a man to help out financially, she's got to keep that man around. It's not fair for her to drive the man away and take his money to boot. In this situation the man is not getting a fair deal.

I refrained from saying this to CarleeBee since I don't know the circumstances of her divorce. It's entirely possibly (but statistically unlikely) that her husband simply abandoned her.

I live in California. Cities and towns will increase employment costs to try to drive poor people out of their district into the next guy's district. Reducing crime rates and increasing property values. A lot of these really rich areas like to keep out the riff raff.

Illegals are of course, immune from this. But only if they don't try to move up the economic ladder, and keep themselves busy with farm work or cash only businesses, such as lawn care and plumbing services.

He didn't want custody. He barely wanted his visitation...which had no restrictions. So he got exactly what he wanted. Very little interaction or responsibility. Not everyone is a good husband or dad. Yes, I would've done whatever I had to do to ensure my son wasn't raised by him and fortunately that wasn't an issue, but the years of struggle was not something I would wish on anyone. Not everyone's situation is the same, which was my point.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Children he never gets to see? In my opinion, if a woman wants a man to help out financially, she's got to keep that man around. It's not fair for her to drive the man away and take his money to boot. In this situation the man is not getting a fair deal.

I refrained from saying this to CarleeBee since I don't know the circumstances of her divorce. It's entirely possibly (but statistically unlikely) that her husband simply abandoned her.
    No he didn't abandon me. He beat the crap out of me. In front of our child. Specifically, he dragged me down the stairs and tried to put my head through a concrete floor and also kneed me in the face and broke my nose. So, sorry but I really didn't want to " keep him around".

He didn't want custody. He barely wanted his visitation...which had no restrictions. So he got exactly what he wanted. Very little interaction or responsibility. Not everyone is a good husband or dad. Yes, I would've done whatever I had to do to ensure my son wasn't raised by him and fortunately that wasn't an issue, but the years of struggle was not something I would wish on anyone. Not everyone's situation is the same, which was my point.
    Yeesh, well the way you tell it he did get off easy. You must feel like the Nazi guy at the end of Indiana Jones picking the wrong Holy Grail to drink out of. You have chosen...unwisely. How could someone take the step of having kids and starting a family and then just lose interest?

Yeesh, well the way you tell it he did get off easy. You must feel like the Nazi guy at the end of Indiana Jones picking the wrong Holy Grail to drink out of. You have chosen...unwisely. How could someone take the step of having kids and starting a family and then just lose interest?
    Sometimes people don't reveal who they really are until something triggers them. He didn't lose interest. He was just an $#@!. It happens. Life is not a fairy tale. If you've ever been around a narcissist you would know that. It certainly wasn't my intent to make an unwise choice. But it was my intent to make sure my son didn't have to be raised by one.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 05-30-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Sometimes people don't reveal who they really are until something triggers them. He didn't lose interest. He was just an $#@!. It happens. Life is not a fairy tale. If you've ever been around a narcissist you would know that. It certainly wasn't my intent to make an unwise choice. But it was my intent to make sure my son didn't have to be raised by one.
    My son and I are on the flip side of that coin, he is being forced by the "family courts" to be raised by a narcissistic mother and I am being forced to pay.

I've pulled a mortgage on my business just to fund the legal battle and there's no end in sight at this point.....

My post was facetious because no amount of legislation is going to reverse decades of propaganda against fathers, every case is different and domestic issues suck for all who are involved but there are a lot of fathers and children who are taken advantage of, disproportionately so.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    My son and I are on the flip side of that coin, he is being forced by the "family courts" to be raised by a narcissistic mother and I am being forced to pay.

I've pulled a mortgage on my business just to fund the legal battle and there's no end in sight at this point.....

My post was facetious because no amount of legislation is going to reverse decades of propaganda against fathers, every case is different and domestic issues suck for all who are involved but there are a lot of fathers and children who are taken advantage of, disproportionately so.
    I don't disagree with that.