Thread: 10 Dangerous Dishwashing Products To Avoid Altogether – Green Living

10 Dangerous Dishwashing Products To Avoid Altogether – Green Living

10 Dangerous Dishwashing Products To Avoid Altogether – Green Living

Written by Kirsten Hudson

When it comes to washing dishes, what could be wrong with a little soap? The thing is, most conventional dishwashing liquids, soaps and detergents aren’t just soap. They’re filled with toxic chemicals and unspecified substances that are harmful to your health and to the environment. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) recently released 10 low-scoring dish-cleaning products from its database of cleaners. Find out what makes these dishwashing products the worst of the worst.

1. Simple Green Naturals Dish Washing Liquid

This dishwashing liquid is anything but green. And, anything but natural. Simple Green Naturals Dish Washing Liquid contains two F-rated ingredients by the EWG: sodium borate and cocamide dea. Although sodium borate is a naturally-occurring mineral, it poses high concern for developmental, reproductive and endocrine disruption—meaning it messes with our hormones. Cocamide dea is a chemically-modified form of coconut oil used as a foaming agent. It’s also a possible carcinogen. Besides that, this soap also contains fragrance, which is an unspecified ingredient, and several ingredients that are toxic to aquatic life. (Not so great for a product that goes straight down the drain.) Overall, it earned an F from the EWG.

2. Ajax Dish Liquid With Bleach Alternative, Lime

The lime green color of this dish liquid isn’t coming from a lime—or anything natural. This soap derives its look from unspecified “colors”, which likely come from one or more synthetic colors identified by the EWG suspected of causing cancer. However, because the company doesn’t disclose the ingredients that make up its colors, it’s hard to say. Other non-specified ingredients in this dish liquid include that always dubious “fragrance”, or as the label on the dish liquid puts it “fresh fruit scent”, and preservatives. Other than that you’ll also find formaldehyde, methanol and a slew of other chemicals that are bad for your health and for the environment. Overall, this dish liquid earned an F from the EWG.

3. Clorox Commercial Solutions SOS Pot & Pan Detergent

You’d need to have one insanely crusty, burnt pan to want to pour this chemical-filled detergent in your dishwasher. (It still wouldn’t be worth it.) Of the ingredients that the EWG was able to identify (the company had poor ingredient disclosure), this detergent includes only F and C-rated ingredients. The F-rated ingredients include glycol ethers, grease-cutting compounds that can damage developmental and reproductive systems, and diethanolamine, which poses concern for cancer and kidney effects. Overall, this detergent earned an F from the EWG.

4. Palmolive Eco + Gel Dishwasher Detergent, Lemon Splash

Despite its cheery name, this detergent contains toxic chemicals, including chlorine bleach and silicate salts—the label even includes this information under a warning. The product’s label also warns against letting this product come in contact with mouth, eyes and skin. (Yet, somehow it’s safe to use on your dishes?) Overall, this product earned an F from the EWG for its mixture of harmful chemicals.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do you use?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    What do you use?
    Seventh Generation.

ETA:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Genera...quid+Detergent
    Last edited by donnay; 05-28-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

we use ecover dishwashing liquid, seventh generation dishwasher gel, and ecos laundry soap; we live pretty rural so its hard to find anything except joy lemon liquid we just order online once or twice a year.

ecover is great; I wash a lot of glass in homebrewing and its clean and streak free every time. Same goes for the 7th gen dishwasher gel; no residue and streak free even in my hard water. mrs breaks out from all kinds of laundry soap. she does great on ecos; and we only use about 1/4 cap per load.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 81CMJGcoLHL._SY355SX176_SY355_CR,0,0,176,355_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX176_SY355_CR,0,0,176,355_.jpg   zeusd1-SACU-4949985.jpg  
    Last edited by presence; 05-28-2015 at 10:07 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I ran out of Dawn one day and decided to grate up a bar of Kirks castile soap (in the Ninja) and dissolve it in water. Works like a charm and cheap. I also use baking soda on greasy or stuck on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I also use baking soda on greasy or stuck on stuff.
    My wife and I gave up shampoo and conditioner a few months ago. We just wash with hand fulll of baking soda, then rinse, and condition with a squirt of white vinegar, and rinse.

We have totally different hair types; both long hair. We both couldn't be happier with the results; clean, healthy, and easy to comb. I'm not as greasy as I was with shampoo and her scalp isn't as dry and flaky. We were both using a variety of "natural" hair care products.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    My wife and I gave up shampoo and conditioner a few months ago. We just wash with hand fulll of baking soda, then rinse, and condition with a squirt of white vinegar, and rinse.

We have totally different hair types; both long hair. We both couldn't be happier with the results; clean, healthy, and easy to comb. I'm not as greasy as I was with shampoo and her scalp isn't as dry and flaky. We were both using a variety of "natural" hair care products.
    Vinegar is great for your hair, make it shiny. Once a week, I put coconut oil on my hair and let it soak in for a couple of hours before I shower.

I'll have to try that.

We have been using finish powerball, as she thought it would be easy and help with hard water. I've found that is leaves some kind of residue. Put water in a "clean" glass, and there will be a bit of foaming. Probably not good. I have to rinse glasses before I use them.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I use Miracle II soap for everything. I put sesame seed oil on my hair and wash with backing soda. I smells realy good,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'll have to try that.

We have been using finish powerball, as she thought it would be easy and help with hard water. I've found that is leaves some kind of residue. Put water in a "clean" glass, and there will be a bit of foaming. Probably not good. I have to rinse glasses before I use them.
    We have hard water, too. I use baking soda, epsom salt, and a few drops of liquid castile soap in the soap dispenser and vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. I also spike lemon peels on the top rack, makes it smell good.