Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nebraska Senate overrides gov's veto, abolishes death penalty

///
    Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 01:54 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by daviddee; 08-26-2021 at 01:21 AM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddee View Post
    Agreed.

I have noticed many of these little victories lately.

We will see what happens with the sunset of the Patriot Act provisions...

Dr Pauls 2008 campaign planted the seed and I believe we are started to see the first harvest...
    I am surely hoping so.

Good to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    And those people will still rot in jail. This isn't the solution. The solutions are in the Bible.
    There have been countless people who were on death row and were then exonerated DECADES later after evidence came forward that cleared them of wrong doing.

But no, let's kill them instead on the off chance that they're guilty. Even if it comes out that they were innocent after the fact, they were probably thugs who deserved punishment anyways
    Last edited by NIU Students for Liberty; 05-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NIU Students for Liberty View Post
    There have been countless people who were on death row and were then exonerated DECADES later after evidence came forward that cleared them of wrong doing.

But no, let's kill them instead on the off chance that they're guilty. Even if it comes out that they were innocent after the fact, they were probably thugs who deserved punishment anyways
    or... let's fix our justice system, and not pretend like just because we're locking the innocent in cages rather than killing them, we're actually doing a good job. The Bible condemns nations that either kill the innocent or let those that should be executed live. Our justice system needs to be fixed so innocents aren't dying.

or... let's fix our justice system, and not pretend like just because we're locking the innocent in cages rather than killing them, we're actually doing a good job. The Bible condemns nations that either kill the innocent or let those that should be executed live. Our justice system needs to be fixed so innocents aren't dying.
    You admit the broken system risks innocent lives and consider 'fixing it' (yet not this way of fixing it - some way your pastor hasn't told you yet so you can't tell us yet) as an alternative course of action. Not as 'would be nice to do' or a 'let's not forget to do' but as a '$#@! those $#@!ers on death row and fix the justice system that $#@!ed them because BIBLE'.

BTW, nobody here - AFAIK - is pretending "we're actually doing a good job" WRT the justice system. What does your fairy tale book say about strawmen?

And if the jury had their lives and liberty in the balance, I would reconsider the issue.

There's going to be an epistemological divide here, seeing as my answer to this is "But what does the Bible say?"
    That we should round up all the gays and adulterers and have them executed? Are you ok with that? That some 15 year old kid gets killed for nothing more than being gay? Or that having an affair is punished the same way rape and murder are...although really just the women adulterers, weird how when a man and woman commit adultery they only ever seem to bring the woman to get stoned.

The funny thing is, when judgement time came, death was often not the verdict from God or Jesus. "He is without sin" and whatnot.

If we were all infallible beings, able to dispense judgement without error, sure...but then we wouldn't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by CT4Liberty View Post
    That we should round up all the gays and adulterers and have them executed? Are you ok with that? That some 15 year old kid gets killed for nothing more than being gay? Or that having an affair is punished the same way rape and murder are...although really just the women adulterers, weird how when a man and woman commit adultery they only ever seem to bring the woman to get stoned.

The funny thing is, when judgement time came, death was often not the verdict from God or Jesus. "He is without sin" and whatnot.

If we were all infallible beings, able to dispense judgement without error, sure...but then we wouldn't need to.
    Well, I'm a bit pre-modern but this is still a strawman.

First of all, both the man and the woman were executed for adultery. It may also have been possible for the victim to mitigate the punishment.

Second of all, nobody gets "rounded up" in Biblical law. In order for something like that to be punished, you have to have two witnesses. There isn't a proactive police force actively looking for people to punish. And absolutely nobody was punished for "being gay". Only actual witnessed acts were punished.

Third of all, the "he is without sin" bit is often misinterpreted, if it was even in the original at all (it most likely was not in the original manuscripts, see the footnote that is in most Bibles.)

Fourth of all, I understand the problem with sinful men intitiating judgment. There is a reason why the Hebrew Republic was so limited, two witnesses were needed to punish anything, and if the witnesses were proven to have lied, they could receive the same punishment that they wished upon the other person. Today I understand we have other types of evidence, so I'm not sure exactly how that would play in were a Christian theonomy to ever be instituted, but at the very least you would need the same amount of proof that was required then (if not more due to technological advances, I'm not sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    You admit the broken system risks innocent lives and consider 'fixing it' (yet not this way of fixing it - some way your pastor hasn't told you yet so you can't tell us yet) as an alternative course of action. Not as 'would be nice to do' or a 'let's not forget to do' but as a '$#@! those $#@!ers on death row and fix the justice system that $#@!ed them because BIBLE'.

BTW, nobody here - AFAIK - is pretending "we're actually doing a good job" WRT the justice system. What does your fairy tale book say about strawmen?

And if the jury had their lives and liberty in the balance, I would reconsider the issue.
    First of all, I don't listen to/agree with my pastor on political matters.

Second of all, I'm not saying forget them at all. But, if they're in prison, they're still being forgotten. The solution is that our entire system is corrupt and needs an overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nebraska lawmakers abolish the death penalty, narrowly overriding governor’s veto
    I am as jaded and cynical as they come, with regard to the political process.

But it's small victories like this that indicate at least some progress is possible and is being made.

And that every little bit of hell raising and awareness is making the difference.

Keep pushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Too bad.

Lots of criminals richly deserving of execution will keep breathing, and at enormous taxpayer expense.
    How many innocent people are you willing to see die, in order to get "justice"?
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    I would limit it, not abolish it. It needs stricter scrutiny.
    Did the thought ever cross anyones mind that they actually read the part of the constitution in which the death penalty applies to treason and they where just covering that ass.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Did the thought ever cross anyones mind that they actually read the part of the constitution in which the death penalty applies to treason and they where just covering that ass.
    LOL! #thread

Well, I'm a bit pre-modern but this is still a strawman.

First of all, both the man and the woman were executed for adultery. It may also have been possible for the victim to mitigate the punishment.

Second of all, nobody gets "rounded up" in Biblical law. In order for something like that to be punished, you have to have two witnesses. There isn't a proactive police force actively looking for people to punish. And absolutely nobody was punished for "being gay". Only actual witnessed acts were punished.

Third of all, the "he is without sin" bit is often misinterpreted, if it was even in the original at all (it most likely was not in the original manuscripts, see the footnote that is in most Bibles.)

Fourth of all, I understand the problem with sinful men intitiating judgment. There is a reason why the Hebrew Republic was so limited, two witnesses were needed to punish anything, and if the witnesses were proven to have lied, they could receive the same punishment that they wished upon the other person. Today I understand we have other types of evidence, so I'm not sure exactly how that would play in were a Christian theonomy to ever be instituted, but at the very least you would need the same amount of proof that was required then (if not more due to technological advances, I'm not sure.)
    I think your "what does it say in the Bible" thing really means... "how I interpret a book so that it promotes my agenda" then...

In the case of the "he who is without sin cast the first stone", the man was not brought up... only the woman.

Let continue to take this further... lets assume 2 guys are "caught being gay"... you're ok with them being put to death for that? Although, your interpretation of "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." meaning that only if they are caught in the act is interesting.

There are many other instances of the rejection of capital punishment in the New Testament, not just the "he who is without sin"...unless every instance of that in the bible is "misinterpreted"... like turning the other cheek, do not repay evil with evil, never avenge yourself - leave wrath to God, Vengeance is the Lords to repay, do not be overcome by evil...

Just to be clear, here are the things the Bible tells us should be punishable by death:
    Murder (Exodus 21:12-14; Leviticus 24:17,21)
    Attacking or cursing a parent (Exodus 21:15,17)
    Disobedience to parents (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
    Kidnapping (Exodus 21:16)
    Failure to confine a dangerous animal, resulting in death (Exodus 21:28-29)
    Witchcraft and sorcery (Exodus 22:18, Leviticus 20:27, Deuteronomy 13:5, 1 Samuel 28:9)
    Human sacrifice (Leviticus 20:2-5)
    Sex with an animal (Exodus 22:19, Leviticus 20:16)
    Doing work on the Sabbath (Exodus 31:14, 35:2, Numbers 15:32-36)
    Incest (Leviticus 18:6-18, 20:11-12,14,17,19-21)
    Adultery (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22)
    Homosexual acts (Leviticus 20:13)
    Prostitution by a priest's daughter (Leviticus 21:9)
    Blasphemy (Leviticus 24:14,16, 23)
    False prophecy (Deuteronomy 18:20)
    Perjury in capital cases (Deuteronomy 19:16-19)
    Refusing to obey a decision of a judge or priest (Deuteronomy 17:12)
    False claim of a woman's virginity at time of marriage (Deuteronomy 22:13-21)
    Sex between a woman pledged to be married and a man other than her betrothed (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)

Don't kill. The government hates competition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12