Thread: Volvo says ‘self-parking car accident’ happened because driver didn’t have ‘pedestria

Volvo says ‘self-parking car accident’ happened because driver didn’t have ‘pedestria

Volvo says horrible ‘self-parking car accident’ happened because driver didn’t have ‘pedestrian detection’

Last week, a gossip blog based in the Dominican Republic called Remolacha published a disturbing video of what it said was a “self-parking car accident.” A group of people stand in a garage watching and filming a grey Volvo XC60 that backs up, stops, and then accelerates toward the group. It smashes into two people, and causes the person filming the video with his phone to drop it and run. It is terrifying.

We reached out to Volvo for answers about what went wrong here, and the company’s response was also a bit disturbing. Volvo spokesperson Johan Larsson explained that the video is mislabeled. He said the car is not attempting to self-park. “It seems they are trying to demonstrate pedestrian detection and auto-braking,” said Larsson by email. “Unfortunately, there were some issues in the way the test was conducted.”

The main issue, said Larsson, is that it appears that the people who bought this Volvo did not pay for the “Pedestrian detection functionality,” which is a feature that costs more money.

“The Volvo XC60 comes with City Safety as a standard feature however this does not include the Pedestrian detection functionality,” said Larsson. The “City Safety system” kicks in when someone is in stop-and-go traffic, helping the driver avoid rear ending another car while driving slowly, or under 30 mph.

Keeping the car safe is included as a standard feature, but keeping pedestrians safe isn’t. “It appears as if the car in this video is not equipped with Pedestrian detection,” said Larsson. “This is sold as a separate package.”

The pedestrian detection feature, which works using a radar in the car’s grill and a camera located behind the windshield. has been around since the mid 2000s, and even started detecting cyclists in 2011, but it costs approximately $3,000, according to IEEE.

But even if it did have the feature, Larsson says the driver would have interfered with it by the way they were driving and “accelerating heavily towards the people in the video.” “The pedestrian detection would likely have been inactivated due to the driver inactivating it by intentionally and actively accelerating,” said Larsson. “Hence, the auto braking function is overrided by the driver and deactivated.”

Meanwhile, the people in the video seem to ignore their instincts and trust that the car assumed to be endowed with artificial intelligence knows not to hurt them. It is a sign of our incredible faith in the power of technology, but also, it’s a reminder that companies making AI-assisted vehicles need to make safety features standard and communicate clearly when they aren’t. According to the Dominican blog, the “two men hit were bruised but are ok.”

Even if you have paid for your car to detect and avoid hitting pedestrians, Larsson says, “Volvo Cars strongly recommends to never perform tests towards real humans.”
    http://fusion.net/story/139703/self-...ian-detection/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Either that or Volvo specializes in selling cars to people stupid enough to think that cheap assed computer chip is actually smarter than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I can park better than that. Seriously.
    "I am a bird"

It is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I can park better than that. Seriously.
    So can I and that's saying something...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Either that or Volvo specializes in selling cars to people stupid enough to think that cheap assed computer chip is actually smarter than they are.
    Uhm, the fact that they would stand in front of an unmanned car like that kinda implies that the chip might actually be smarter than they are; doesn't it?

See? That's what you get for not buying the 'Psychotic Computer Behavior Prevention Option'. They should have shelled out the extra $1200.

Or, they could have ripped the 'self-parking feature' out of the dashboard and thrown it in the woods, of course...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The car didn't have the feature installed and it would still have been overwritten by the driver speeding up, yet these idiots expected the car to just stop as they were accelerating? Epic moronic FAIL. That's when reading comprehension comes in handy. These morons are a danger to themselves. Where in the manual did they read the car would stop them from accelerating?

Quote Originally Posted by logikal View Post
    The car didn't have the feature installed and it would still have been overwritten by the driver speeding up, yet these idiots expected the car to just stop as they were accelerating? Epic moronic FAIL. That's when reading comprehension comes in handy. These morons are a danger to themselves. Where in the manual did they read the car would stop from accelerating?
    This is why we live in a world with 5 pages of legalese attached to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I actually laughed at the idiots....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I actually laughed at the idiots....
    Who's stupid enough to stand in front of a Volvo? And how much more stupid do you have to be to keep standing in front of it?

self-parking v. 101. Back to the drawing boards and the field test labs, it'll get better.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 05-27-2015 at 09:55 AM.

And that's the day that they learned that radar systems designed to detect large blocks of metal don't do a great job at detecting small blobs of flesh.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "We are going to sell you a self driving (parking) car that does not detect pedestrians by default."

Um. wat?

Whether "pedestrian detection" costs more or not, the idea of letting a computer drive a car that cannot see people is really really stupid. If they were going to sell this self parking car, it should be a no-brainer that selling it without the ability to detect pedestrians is really, extremely dumb.

Well, my grandfather told me that when cruise control was first introduced to the masses he and his friends thought it meant the car would steer itself. They didn't actully try to let it steer itself, but before using it they actually had that notion. These people/driver probably experienced the same kind of wake up call that my grandpa did way back when.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

I agree with Volvo's assessment.. I think they were testing the self stopping feature, and had nothing to do with parking.

The one guy sure seemed to have a lot of confidence until he went face first into the hood.

reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0AcyMFtMA