Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pagan Roots of the Trinity Doctrine

Pagan Roots of the Trinity Doctrine

Pagan Roots of the Trinity Doctrine

Posted

(© Ed Torrence 2002)

The Trinity doctrine is not unique to, nor original with, Christianity. It has deep Pagan roots, dating back to at least two centuries BC, and has been prominent in many Eastern religions ever since.

The Roman Catholic and Orthodox Church Councils (Western and Eastern churches) brought the Trinity doctrine into Christianity.

This occurred before there was a final split between the two over authority. Even those who voted the idea into Roman Catholic dogma declared it was a mystery that had to be accepted by faith. The theologians that wrote the Catholic Encyclopedia admit that there is no Old Testament indication of a triune God, and very little in the New Testament that can be construed that way. They also admit that it was a product of tradition that evolved over four centuries. The RCC gives equal credence to tradition and scripture. In this case tradition is almost the whole criteria for this dogma, aside from a few scriptures that are wrenched out of context and misinterpreted, trying to give the idea legitimacy.

The evolution of this doctrine within Christianity began with The Apostle’s Creed, progressed to the Nicene Creed, and finally culminated in the Athanasian Creed. Click on the links below to read more about them.

The Apostle’s Creed
    which was not written by the Apostles at all, but by the RCC. While this simple statement of faith had nothing to say about a Trinity, or even hint that Jesus was God, it laid the groundwork for further expansion, and was modified several times over the years.

The Nicene Creed
    established in 325 AD, was the next step. At the insistence of the Roman emperor, Constantine, and for the purpose of establishing unity between Christianity and Pagan beliefs, Jesus was declared to be coequal, coeternal, and consubstantial with God. This established, Constantine made Christianity the state religion of the Roman Empire. Before Constantine’s rule the Christians suffered much persecution at the hands of Rome.

The Athanasian Creed
    espouses the Trinitarian concepts of Athanasius, a fourth century theologian. The time of its original writing is not known, nor is its author. Most historians agree that it was probably composed in the fifth century, though some claim it may have been as late as the ninth century. Even the Catholic Encyclopedia is vague about its origin.

The Christian Church’s roots were originally from Judaism, which was, and still is, a monotheistic (One-God) religion. There is no belief in a polytheistic (Plural) God in the Old Testament. On the contrary, OT scriptures declare the singleness of God.

Isa. 43:10

Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 45:18

For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
    The Nicene and Athenian creeds are in direct denial of these scriptures as well as many others. First, they had to declare that Jesus was God, and that he was eternal–which also contradicts scripture.

Num. 23:19

God is not a man that he should lie, neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? Or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
    Jesus was a man; and he referred to himself as the Son of Man many times.

Psa. 2:7

I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
    Jesus was begotten, (born) at a point in time, according to the Jewish prophecies. The Athanasian Creed also states that Jesus was God incarnated. This contradicts scripture also, because God does not change.

Mal. 3:6

For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
    If there is no scriptural basis for the doctrine of a triune God, then from whence did this idea come?

Rome, the seat of emperors for the Roman Empire and the power base of political popes, was heavily influenced by the philosophy and paganism of the former Grecian Empire, which took in much more territory than the Roman Empire ever achieved. Greek literature, sociology, religion, and superstitions played a great part in the formation of Roman government, philosophy, and religion. Therefore, it is no wonder that the Romans incorporated much of their custom and culture into Christianity, just as the Jewish believers did in Jerusalem.

When the Apostle Paul was in Athens he observed, among the worshippers of many pagan gods, an altar to the Unknown God. He took advantage of their superstitions to preach to them of the one true God. Among these people were Epicureans and Stoics philosophers who were amazed at Paul’s preaching of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Up until the rule of Emperor Constantine, the Christians of the Roman Empire were persecuted. Constantine, however, in the early fourth century saw a chance to help restore the former glory of the Empire by bringing about religious unity. In exchange for the cooperation of the Roman Christian Bishops he made Christianity the official state religion. However, this came at great cost to the true gospel of Jesus Christ. From this time forward Christianity became a mixture of the Christian faith and Paganism.

One of the most common beliefs among Pagan cultures was in a trinity of gods. We find this among the Egyptians, Indians (of India), Japanese, Sumarians, Chaldeans, and of course, the Babylonians, to where historians trace the roots of trinitarism.

Church history shows a gradual assimilation of Pagan ideas into Christianity, brought about mostly by the Roman or Western Church, which became a political/religious extension of the Roman Empire. Foremost among the pagan ideas was the adoption of the trinity doctrine into the dogma of the church. Pagan holidays (holy days) were also incorporated into tradition by “Christianizing” them, thus we end up with Christmas being celebrated on Dec 25th; Easter, which combined the resurrection of Christ with the pagan goddess Ester, and Halloween combined with All Saint’s Day.

In time, the political power of the Roman Popes and the wealth they controlled exceeded that of the Emperors, and the Church became a Monarchy with power over kings and nations. Religious tolerance went out the door, and the Church embarked on crusades and inquisitions to purge out by ex-communication, torture, war, and murder, all those who disagreed with official Church doctrine or resisted the authority of the Pope. Christ-like behavior became a thing of the past, and Jesus’ teachings neglected and changed.

The Reformation, brought about by Martin Luther, threw off the yoke of the Papists and declared justification by faith instead of salvation by obeying the Roman church. However, the Pagan doctrines and traditions of Catholicism carried over into Protestantism and remain intact to this day.

The Trinity doctrine was by no means adopted unanimously by church leaders of the day. Bitter battles ensued, and three versions of the trinity debated, as well as the non-trinity belief, until the present one was adopted. It was a vote of men that established it, not revelation from God or scriptures. Christianity had rejected the God of Abraham, Moses, and Jesus, and replaced Him with a Pagan invention. [For further study read When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity During the Last Days of Rome.]

[Used with permission. “Rediscovering Original Christian Theology,” Pagan Roots of Trinity Doctrine by Ed Torrence © 2002]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When you care enough to fabricate and "borrow" the very best.

Stay tuned for what those goofy Paulinista pranksters manage to dream up next.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    My guess is the demonization of the two witnesses. And as their reward Satan will likely have them all exterminated for being Abrahamists if they don't convert to whatever form of Illuminism is mandatory.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    My guess is the demonization of the two witnesses. And as their reward Satan will likely have them all exterminated for being Abrahamists if they don't convert to whatever form of Illuminism is mandatory.
    I think that's the last cliffhanger episode show for the next season.

Trinitarian doctrine actually comes from the words of Jesus himself (there was no immediate Pauline influence on the Eastern Churches established by the apostles who met Jesus), but believe as you will.

WRT OT references to Christ-this occurs because Yeshua is of one essence with the Father and Holy Spirit (hence the plural pronouns used when God is quoted in the early chapters of Genesis).

You cite a lot of terrible sources, RT. I suggest coming up with better research methods.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-27-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Trinitarian doctrine actually comes from the words of Jesus himself (there was no immediate Pauline influence on the Eastern Churches established by the apostles who met Jesus), but believe as you will.
    Trinity is centuries older than Jesus. Check it out. Believe as you won't.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...37.3Jng9DSEwLI
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 05-27-2015 at 11:21 AM.

QUOTE=Ronin Truth;5880727]Trinity is centuries older than Jesus. Check it out. Believe as you won't.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...37.3Jng9DSEwLI[ QUOTE]

You really are an awful researcher. You disproved yourself. Congrats!
    One of the first sources in your link:

Christians did not borrow Trinity from the pagans!
    Trinity is truth!
    But these Anti-Trinitarians wrongly say Trinity is of Pagan origin:

1. Arians (Jehovah's Witnesses, Christadelphians, Unitarians, The Way International)
    2. Modalists (United Pentecostal Church, UPCI)
    3. Muslims (Islamic)
    4. Jews
    5. Note: No encyclopedia says Trinity is of pagan origin!)

"The fact that the church fathers never defend trinity against a charge of pagan influence is significant. If the source was so obviously pagan, then there would have been a huge outcry! But as it is, in all the discussion of trinity, those who opposed it didn't compare the Christian trinity with pagan trinities."
    MUCH more at the link, and pictures. http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-...an-reasons.htm
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An Appeal to Trinitarian Christians

Historical Background of the Trinity

The current mainstream teaching in Christianity is that God is a coequal, coeternal, one-substance trinity, and that Jesus Christ is God. This doctrine is considered by many as the cornerstone of Christianity, but where did this doctrine come from? The historical record is overwhelming that the church of the first three centuries did not worship God as a coequal, coeternal, consubstantial, one-substance three in one mysterious godhead. The early church worshipped one God and believed in a subordinate Son. The trinity originated with Babylon, and was passed on to most of the world's religions. This polytheistic (believing in more than one god) trinitarianism was intertwined with Greek religion and philosophy and slowly worked its way into Christian thought and creeds some 300 years after Christ. The idea of "God the Son" is Babylonian paganism and mythology that was grafted into Christianity. Worshipping "God the Son" is idolatry, and idolatry is Biblically condemned; it breaks the first great commandment of God of not having any gods before him (Exodus 20:3). Then three centuries after Christ the corrupt emperor Constantine forced the minority opinion of the trinity upon the council of Nicea. The Christian church went downward from there; in fact some of the creeds and councils actually contradict each other. The council of Nicea 325 said that "Jesus Christ is God," the council of Constantinople 381 said that "the Holy Spirit is God," the council of Ephesus 431 said that "human beings are totally depraved," the council of Chalcedon 451 said that "Jesus Christ is both man and God." If you follow the logic here then first you have Jesus Christ as God, then you have man totally depraved, and then you have Jesus Christ as man and God. If Jesus Christ is both man and God does this mean that God is also totally depraved? Well maybe the doctrine of the coequal, coeternal, one-substance, mysterious three in one triune godhead is deprived of any historical foundation tying it into the Christianity of the Bible and the Christianity of the first three centuries. However the historical information ties the trinity into various pagan origins.
    And yet most Christian churches continue to teach and believe the doctrine that God is a coequal, coeternal, one-substance, mysterious three in one triune godhead, and that Jesus Christ is God, and that the trinity is "the cornerstone of Christianity".
    http://www.christadelphia.org/trinityhistory.htm

Complain to Google, maybe they'll care what you think.

Last edited by Ronin Truth; 05-27-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Not the same subject, but the same rhetoric.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

An Appeal to Trinitarian Christians

Historical Background of the Trinity

http://www.christadelphia.org/trinityhistory.htm

Complain to Google, maybe they'll care what you think.

The Christadelphians are not an accurate or unbiased source. Christadelphianism is just a 19th century movement from the US. Why would I complain to google? You're the one trying to prove a claim and finding a bunch of false facts. The burden of proof is on you in this thread. Thus far, you've failed to prove your claim.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-27-2015 at 11:49 AM.

The Christadelphians are not an accurate or unbiased source. Christadelphianism is just a 19th century movement from the US. Why would I complain to google? You're the one trying to prove a claim and finding a bunch of false facts. The burden of proof is on you in this thread. Thus far, you've failed to prove your claim.
    Big Woo. Buzz off. Who cares besides you? Anything I chose to show you, Paulinista, you'd just poo-poo anyway.

You and Sola should maybe start a club together. You've both got a lot in common.

WRT OT references to Christ-this occurs because Yeshua is of one essence with the Father and Holy Spirit (hence the plural pronouns used when God is quoted in the early chapters of Genesis).
    Ok, so because God said "let us create them" and because Jesus said "Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost", therefore every other of the many many scriptures indicating God's solitary omnipotence is negated?

You have a weird understanding on which side the burden of proof should be on.

You aren't arguing from scripture you're arguing from "accepted doctrine". It's a very different thing.

Did Mark Levin teach you that big word?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Did Mark Levin teach you that big word?
    Nah, the RPF Paulinists did.

Screw Mark Levin.

Screw Mark Levin.
    Why? He didn't vote for Ron Paul either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Big Woo. Buzz off. Who cares besides you? Anything I chose to show you, Paulinista, you'd just poo-poo anyway.

You and Sola should maybe start a club together. You've both got a lot in common.
    Well, anyone who is interested in true facts on this subject cares. Sola and I really don't have that much in common. I disagree with the vast majority of his and Reformation belief generally. It just seems to you that we have a lot in common because we can both prove you and your claims wrong.

Ancient Pagan Trinities:

Babylonian: Nimrod, Semiramis, Tammuz

Hindu: Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva

Egyptian: Osirus, Isis, Horus

Ok, so because God said "let us create them" and because Jesus said "Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost", therefore every other of the many many scriptures indicating God's solitary omnipotence is negated?
    You have a weird understanding on which side the burden of proof should be on.
    Traditionally, the burden of proof is on the positive claimant. Do you not agree?

You aren't arguing from scripture you're arguing from "accepted doctrine". It's a very different thing.
    No, I'm arguing from scripture. I use the original semantic instead of the shifted semantic that heterodox religions do. Please review Genesis 1:26, noting the plural pronouns. Also see John 10:30 where Jesus says "I and The Father are one".

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Why? He didn't vote for Ron Paul either.
    I've heard more than enough of him to know that he's just another one of the ignorant statist $#@!s.

Traditionally, the burden of proof is on the positive claimant. Do you not agree?

No, I'm arguing from scripture. I use the original semantic instead of the shifted semantic that heterodox religions do. Please review Genesis 1:26, noting the plural pronouns. Also see John 10:30 where Jesus says "I and The Father are one".
    Yes, you are the one claiming a trinity of three coequal God's exist. This is not said by Jesus or God. How am I the "positive claimant"?

Jesus said, I don't do my will but my father's.
    Jesus said, don't call me good only the father is good.
    Jesus said, I go to see my father.
    Jesus said, no man has seen the father at any time.

and on, and on, and on.

And I have said many times that that verse of "I and the Father are one" and the other one where he says, "If you've seen me you've seen the father" are more correctly interpreted as obedience, alignment of wills, and authority the Father gave to Jesus. But to prove the trinity to me, that verse and the other are the only verses you or anyone else can seem to come up with and you ignore the myriad of others like the 4 I posted above.

So my question is, what about all the other ones that I could post on here, 4 shown above, clearly indicating they are not the same and that God is in fact God and not Jesus?

Scripture is AGAINST the trinity. But trinitarians support their crazy idea with like 2 little misinterpreted verses. Why? Because YOU ARE ARGUING FROM ACCEPTED POPULAR OPINION NOT SCRIPTURE SO YOU CHERRY PICK WHAT IS IN AGREEMENT AND IGNORE THE REST.

And "pronouns"? That's you're argument? "There is none with me", saith the Lord. But you said "US"! Therefore God is a liar?

Try to use your brain when thinking. It helps.

EDIT: By the way, we're still only up to "binary", please show me the verse where Jesus or God claims that the Holy Spirit is God and/or that Jesus/God and the spirit are one. I'm expecting, "God is a spirit", but maybe you'll surprise me.
    Last edited by wizardwatson; 05-27-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Just because some pagan religions recognize the existence of Trinity does not diminish or disparage that existence.

Many recognize God (or some understanding of a god).. That does not disprove His existence.

It only proves that there is something in man that recognizes a supreme being.. though the understanding may be distorted.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Eagles' Wings

The three creeds in the OP are historic, Christian, statements of faith. These are what I believe about the Trinity. Praise be to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Childhood brainwashing and conditioning often dies really hard.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, you are the one claiming a trinity of three coequal God's exist. This is not said by Jesus or God. How am I the "positive claimant"?

Jesus said, I don't do my will but my father's.
    Jesus said, don't call me good only the father is good.
    Jesus said, I go to see my father.
    Jesus said, no man has seen the father at any time.

and on, and on, and on.

And I have said many times that that verse of "I and the Father are one" and the other one where he says, "If you've seen me you've seen the father" are more correctly interpreted as obedience, alignment of wills, and authority the Father gave to Jesus. But to prove the trinity to me, that verse and the other are the only verses you or anyone else can seem to come up with and you ignore the myriad of others like the 4 I posted above.

So my question is, what about all the other ones that I could post on here, 4 shown above, clearly indicating they are not the same and that God is in fact God and not Jesus?

Scripture is AGAINST the trinity. But trinitarians support their crazy idea with like 2 little misinterpreted verses. Why? Because YOU ARE ARGUING FROM ACCEPTED POPULAR OPINION NOT SCRIPTURE SO YOU CHERRY PICK WHAT IS IN AGREEMENT AND IGNORE THE REST.

And "pronouns"? That's you're argument? "There is none with me", saith the Lord. But you said "US"! Therefore God is a liar?

Try to use your brain when thinking. It helps.

EDIT: By the way, we're still only up to "binary", please show me the verse where Jesus or God claims that the Holy Spirit is God and/or that Jesus/God and the spirit are one. I'm expecting, "God is a spirit", but maybe you'll surprise me.
    What good is scripture when trying to stand up against Roman Empire pagan Paulinist hijacking? <shrug>

What good is scripture when trying to stand up against Roman Empire pagan Paulinist hijacking? <shrug>
    I just want to be on record I suppose.

I don't have a problem with people having a "general idea" of the Father/Son/Holy Spirit being central to salvation. I have a problem with getting so over-involved in this distillation process that it becomes an idol that contradicts scripture to the point where people start saying that Jesus created the universe.

Things are "related", that doesn't mean that by nature of them being related their separateness dissolves into some new type of God. The relationships define their individuality they don't point to some abstract unity. God is God. Why is there now God the Father and some abstract God in the middle of three Gods? It serves no purpose other than a mental idol to worship.

Look at the Athanasian creed. That was the first time I read it, from this thread. I thought the Nicene Creed was bad, that one is so convoluted my head was spinning. It starts off saying "And the Catholic faith is this: That we worship One God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity, neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance." and then 6 paragraphs follow where you're left confounded and divided and it says if you don't believe that you're going to hell.

People want to define God in relation to themselves. They want to "fit in somewhere" as they are. So the general inclination is to construct a mental bridge to God. 'If I believe "correctly" then I'm good.' But there is no correct "belief". Everyone's metaphysics is wonky. Only by OBEYING do you please God. He doesn't care if you are a Catholic or an agnostic. If you lived your life obeying Christ's commands but never heard of Jesus in your life, when the resurrection happens you will hear his voice. That is what I believe the scripture teaches.

It's about simplicity. Right and wrong. But men are lazy and sinful and we want a shortcut and consolation that we've "done what we needed to do". Hence, we spend 90+% of our time arguing about metaphysics instead of right and wrong.

That Athanasian creed says that plainly and directly. You must believe in the incarnation "rightly". If the three persons are "incomprehensible" how can I believe "rightly"? You just said I can't comprehend them? Are we back to the Socratic maxim "I only know that I know nothing" with the addition of "...therefore I am saved in Christ"?

It's just absolutely ridiculous. All it is in my opinion is to purposefully be confusing so that the church member is perpetually wrong and the church father is perpetually right no matter how close either of them is to the truth. And this is evidenced by all the ridiculous positions I've rebutted from many on this forum.

Eagles' Wings

Childhood brainwashing and conditioning often dies really hard.
    Ain't it the truth, Ronin. It is important to leave childish ways behind, past hurts, struggles with those in authority, etc.

A very good source of historic Christian documents is here:

http://www.reformed.org/documents/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Ain't it the truth, Ronin. It is important to leave childish ways behind, past hurts, struggles with those in authority, etc.

A very good source of historic Christian documents is here:

http://www.reformed.org/documents/index.html
    Thanks!

Eagles' Wings

Thanks!
    Ronin, would you consider posting this same thread title at a Christian forum? You would have people coming out of the walls to help you understand the doctrine of the Trinity. Why not give it a try? Are you so sure you are right, here?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Ronin, would you consider posting this same thread title at a Christian forum? You would have people coming out of the walls to help you understand the doctrine of the Trinity. Why not give it a try? Are you so sure you are right, here?
    Nah, not really. I'm anti-Paulinist/"Christian"(so called) and the savage barbaric Roman Empire hijacking of the religion of Jesus.

The pagan Trinity is just another part of it.

Thanks anyway.

For me, Gandhi absolutely nailed it.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”-- Mahatma Gandhi
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 05-27-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast