Thread: Taco Bell, Pizza Hut to ditch Artificial Ingredients

Taco Bell, Pizza Hut to ditch Artificial Ingredients

Black pepper flavor...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Taco Bell and Pizza Hut say they're getting rid of artificial colors and flavors, making them the latest big food companies scrambling to distance themselves from ingredients people might find unappetizing.

Instead of "black pepper flavor," for instance, Taco Bell will start using actual black pepper in its seasoned beef, (WUT?)says Liz Matthews, the chain's chief food innovation officer.

The Mexican-style chain also says the artificial dye Yellow No. 6 will be removed from its nacho cheese, Blue No. 1 will be removed from its avocado ranch dressing and carmine, a bright pigment, will be removed from its red tortilla strips.

Matthews said some of the new recipes are being tested in select markets and should be in stores nationally by the end of the year.

The country's biggest food makers are facing pressure from smaller rivals that position themselves as more wholesome alternatives. Chipotle in particular has found successin marketing itself as an antidote to traditional fast food, although some question the meaningfulness of some of its claims. In April, Chipotle announced it had removed genetically modified organisms from its food, even though the Food and Drug Administration says GMOs are safe.

Critics say the purging of chemicals is a response to unfounded fears over ingredients, but companies are nevertheless rushing to ensure their recipes don't become marketing disadvantages. In recent months, restaurant chains including Panera, McDonald's and Subway have said they're switching to ingredients people can easily recognize.

John Coupland, a professor of food science at Penn State University, said companies are realizing some ingredients may not be worth the potential harm they might cause to their images, given changing attitudes about additives.

Additionally, he noted that the removal of artificial ingredients can be a way for companies to give their food a healthy glow without making meaningful changes to their nutritional profiles. For instance, Coupland said reducing salt, sugar or portion sizes (I'm not sure Taco Bell could get away with reducing the portion size of their tacos)would have a far bigger impact on public health.

Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are owned by Yum Brands Inc., which had hinted the changes would be on the way. At a conference for investors late last year, Yum CEO Greg Creed referred to the shifting attitudes and the desire for "real food" as a revolution in the industry.

Representatives at KFC and Yum's corporate headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky were not immediately available to comment on whether the fried chicken chain would also be removing artificial ingredients.

Pizza Hut says it will remove artificial flavors and colors by the end of July.

Taco Bell says it will take out artificial colors, artificial flavors, high-fructose corn syrup and unsustainable palm oil from its food by the end of 2015. It says artificial preservatives will be removed "where possible" by 2017. The moves do not affect fountain drinks or co-branded products, such as its Doritos-flavored taco shells.

Brian Niccol, the chain's CEO, said price increases are based on a variety of factors, and that the company would work to keep its menu affordable.

"I do not want to lose any element of being accessible to the masses," Niccol said.

When asked whether the changes would affect taste, a representative for Taco Bell said in an email that "It will be the same great tasting Taco Bell that people love." (Whew!)
    http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/29...al-ingredients

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tequila would be the healthiest thing on the menu...

Tequila? Probablemente - Taco Bell could add alcohol to menu

(WTVM) – Could Taco Bell become the place to drink instead of the place to sober up?

It's a possibility for one location, according to the food and culture blog Eater. A Taco Bell in Chicago's Wicker Park applied to acquire a liquor license last week. If granted, the concept restaurant in the hip neighborhood could began selling drinks with Doritos Locos tacos and other menu items.

The drinks, according to Eater, would be called "Twisted Freezers," and come with your choice of tequila, vodka, or rum.

It's not a foreign concept for Taco Bell, a YUM! Company, to think about adding booze to its menu.

In 2014, YUM! Brands wanted to put a beer milkshake on the menu in its California concept restaurant, U.S. Taco Co. & Urban Taproom. The only problem is the dreams of a beer milkshake never came to fruition – and neither did the taproom portion of the concept.

Taco Bell public relations told the Huffington Post on May 15 that the Wicker Park location is a concept restaurant, like the one in Huntington Beach, CA, and that the menu and more details would be released closer to its opening this summer.

U.S. Taco Co. is a taco-only restaurant, specializing in more stylized menu, including lobster tacos.

Popular restaurants that compete with Taco Bell, like Chipotle, already serve alcoholic beverages in some locations.

It could be a major boost for Taco Bell – a company that ditched its kid's menu in 2013 and targets mostly to millennials, showcased in their new "Breakfast Defectors" ad campaign – to see if offering alcohol at concept restaurants it worth pushing nationally.

There is no word on if the successes of the Wicker Park location would mean a national addition of alcohol to the menu.

In response to this inquiry, Taco Bell PR had this to say:

There is no additional information to share around our upcoming restaurant in Wicker Park, Chicago and the application for a liquor license. However, we'd be happy to circle back with you closer to the Summer when we have more information available.

There are more than 6,500 Taco Bell locations worldwide.

Read more: http://www.wfsb.com/story/29124349/t...#ixzz3bLXYuNGl

American "quality" meats;

More people are waking up to the poison ingredients...these are small victories!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

7$ a lb for pork rectum ? I didn't know there was actual demand for that. Pretty expensive.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    More people are waking up to the poison ingredients...these are small victories!
    I dunno, donnay. I'm not sure I want to know what the tacos really look like. I noticed they're not switching to real meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I dunno, donnay. I'm not sure I want to know what the tacos really look like. I noticed they're not switching to real meat.
    True, true. But when they announce they are taking some nasty ingredients out of their so-called food, it means there was outside pressures--an awakening of sorts. Which to me, is small victories.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Did I miss it? Or am I right that there was no mention of their guacamole in there?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Did I miss it? Or am I right that there was no mention of their guacamole in there?
    Blue No. 1 will be removed from its avocado ranch dressing
    I guess they're going to keep green #9 in their guacamole flavored dip.
    *Don't quote me, I just made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I think this is inevitable because since the U.S. started using vegetable oils instead of coconut oil during the world war, each generation is born with a higher percentage of polyunsaturated fats than the previous one, which causes lower metabolic rate, earlier puberty, faster aging, among other things. Until the trend is reversed when people realize that vegetable oils are toxic, each new generation will be more sensitive to additives than the previous one.

Black pepper flavor...
    can you get an organic version?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    7$ a lb for pork rectum ? I didn't know there was actual demand for that. Pretty expensive.
    served like fried calamari; sometimes illicitly substituted in restaurants.

Also used to make dried meats like filleto; pork terderloin in pork bung

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    served like fried calamari; sometimes illicitly substituted in restaurants.

Also used to make dried meats like filleto; pork terderloin in pork bung

Well I eat mostly anything as long as it's tasty.
    I have never had bunghole before but I've heard it don't taste too well.

(It's a real ingredient though...)
    "I am a bird"

I remember when some of the folks around here told us we were crazy, and that no real company had any interest in going towards natural foods because there was no demand, that if there were any demand for natural foods they would have already done it (as if the market responds instantaneously).

More likely those who want all of our food to be artificial had done such a good job convincing everybody they were lone nutters that it wasn't until the Internet became ubiquitous that people who prefer actual real food realized that we weren't alone, and stopped being ashamed of speaking out about their desire for natural food, at which point the market was forced to respond.

Today, it is so much easier to get real, natural food than it was even just 10 years ago. Of all the things that piss me off or depress me, this is one of the few things I take comfort and solace in. I can right now go to pretty much any gas station, convenience mart, or grocery store and get a non-water drink that is not full to the gills with HFCS. That is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Apparently there is a demand for this kind of thing. God alone knows why. I'd sooner die of starvation than eat the bung-hole out of a pig.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Taco Bell, Pizza Hut to ditch Artificial Ingredients
    The Mexican-style chain also says the artificial dye Yellow No. 6 will be removed from its nacho cheese, Blue No. 1 will be removed from its avocado ranch dressing and carmine, a bright pigment, will be removed from its red tortilla strips.
    Carmine is a natural color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine

It seems that several years ago someone thought the same and filed a lawsuit. After it went the rounds with the 'justice' department, it turned out Taco Bell meat is actually some 88 % real beef. Not that 88% is really enough for me personally, but if they are improving their recipe and going with more real beef and less artificial fillers, I might just start eating there again. No taco meat can be 100% beef, that would just be pure hamburger, you have to have the taco spices and the sauce or it's just not taco meat. If they bump it up to 95% beef, I might just be interested in eating their food again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Sure it's natural, but natural or not a lot of people do not want to eat pulverized beetle carapace. Pig feces is natural too, but you won't find me rolling about in a pig pen with a spoon.

Yeah it is also derived from cochineal insects. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Sure it's natural, but natural or not a lot of people do not want to eat pulverized beetle carapace. Pig feces is natural too, but you won't find me rolling about in a pig pen with a spoon.
    Maybe that explains zippy's posts? His brain is full of the natural poop he eats?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Today, it is so much easier to get real, natural food than it was even just 10 years ago. Of all the things that piss me off or depress me, this is one of the few things I take comfort and solace in. I can right now go to pretty much any gas station, convenience mart, or grocery store and get a non-water drink that is not full to the gills with HFCS. That is a good thing.
    Well, let me help you get back to feeling like $#@!...
    History is positively littered with similar market victories, and this one will be equally ignored by those who just want to push people around.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Beer is from bacterial poop. Bread too. And most cheeses. So yeah, I have eaten natural poop. You have too.

Insects can be great sources of protein.

Who would have thought people would also eat things like raw dead fish? Yet sushi is more popular than ever.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Beer is from bacterial poop. Bread too.
    Worcestershire sauce is my favorite... Nothing like rotten anchovies with tangerine.
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Beer is from bacterial poop. Bread too. And most cheeses. So yeah, I have eaten natural poop. You have too.

Insects can be great sources of protein.
    If someone reads zippy's posts in this thread, would there be anyone who finds a valuable contribution? Post after post full of idiocy, unrelated to the topic of the thread and a distraction. Kinda sad when your posts say less about what you're posting about than your bad mental habits and disabilities.
    Last edited by jj-; 05-27-2015 at 03:17 PM.

It is nice to see the valuable content you added to the thread. Thank you for your participation!

It is nice to see the valuable content you added to the thread. Thank you for your participation!
    I know, it will remind a lot of people the ignore button is a valuable thing, especially when one sees a pattern of idiocy.