Thread: Walmart Will Buy Meat from Livestock Raised without Antibiotics

Walmart Will Buy Meat from Livestock Raised without Antibiotics

Walmart, the world’s largest grocery retailer, announced Friday that the chain would move toward buying meat only from livestock suppliers who discourage the use of antibiotics and that agree to report publically on their antibiotic management practices.

The position on antibiotics – which was paired with another statement on animal welfare – uses some form of the word “sustainable” eight times.

“Walmart is committed to selling products that sustain people and the environment,” Kathleen McLaughlin, president of the Walmart Foundation and senior vice president of Walmart sustainability, said in a news release. “We have listened to our customers, and are asking our suppliers to engage in improved reporting standards and transparency measures regarding the treatment of farm animals.”

The plan calls for suppliers to:

Adopt and implement the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Judicious Use Principles for antimicrobials, which stress that antimicrobial use should be limited and targeted. The principles allow some antibiotics to prevent disease, but state that metaphylaxis — the mass use of low-dose antibiotics — “should be actively discouraged.”

Follow the Food and Drug Administration’s Voluntary Guidance for Industry #209, which includes ceasing the use of antibiotics for growth promotion.
    Release a public report once a year on their antibiotics management practices.

As experts try to prevent and treat antibiotic-resistant bacteria, several food brands have announced recently that they are moving toward buying meat only from livestock raised without antibiotics that are important to humans.

Fieldale Farms was one of the first suppliers to create an antibiotic-free production system in 2013.

But in the past two years, more and more brands have jumped on the bandwagon – Tyson and Perdue, Chick-fil-A and McDonalds -- signaling that business leaders think antibiotic-free is a message that will grab consumers.

The groups that represent livestock producers generally oppose mandatory limits to antibiotic use.

In responding to Walmart’s announcement, Animal Agriculture Alliance President and CEO Kay Johnson Smith pointed out that farmers and ranchers focus every day on two of the goals Walmart cites: Protecting animal welfare and providing an affordable, sustainable supply of food for a hungry world.

“Farmers, ranchers and veterinarians are also taking the issue of antimicrobial resistance very seriously. Nothing is more important to the animal agriculture community than public health, animal health and wellbeing and a safe food supply,” said Johnson.

“The government, animal health industry, farmers and ranchers have proactively implemented multiple steps to ensure antibiotic use in food-producing animals does not affect human health and to minimize the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Walmart’s policy … is consistent with the industry’s existing efforts.
    http://growinggeorgia.com/features/2...2aaf-296610801

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who buys meat from Wally World? Yuck....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Who buys meat from Wally World? Yuck....
    I buy chicken for my dog there. Ten pounds of legs and thighs for 5.90.

I seem to recall that they once said they were only going to buy American made products too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I seem to recall that they once said they were only going to buy American made products too.
    So what you're saying is Walmart's word is not to be believed?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yeah but will they stop bleaching old meat to make it look fresh? :::shudder:::

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Yeah but will they stop bleaching old meat to make it look fresh? :::shudder:::
    Yeah Food Lion was caught doing that years ago. Nasty. I am more concerned about them irradiating the meat too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

not buying wallyworld meat anyway but ya know, I'm seeing a LOT of meat products labeled natural, no hormones, no antibiotic and *vegetarian fed* in stores and this does not equal grass fed or GMO free - for some reason people still don't get it.
    I think I might prefer a little growth hormone to gmo corn and soy
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ummmm,

If your meat comes from a "store" it really doesn't matter what the pretty label on the cellophane says...

Meat comes from butchers wrapped in white butcher paper and stamped with red ink "Not for resale"...

If you must buy meat buy 1/4 or 1/2 of the critter at a time.

except chickens.. them buy whole
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    except chickens.. them buy whole
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/

Fuggin' gremlins!

We ordered from them a couple times.. the orders were never right - even labeled wrong.. sent wrong hatching eggs. I think we had much better luck with McMurray
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/

We ordered from them a couple times.. the orders were never right - even labeled wrong.. sent wrong hatching eggs. I think we had much better luck with McMurray
    Sorry to hear that, I've used Cackle on-n-off since '72 and don't have any complaints...(Never ordered eggs though, always chicks)

Last order was 150 roosters, ended up costing us about $3.50 apiece for the 90 some that made it to the freezer...

Got about 20 mis-sexed hens that provided eggs for a couple of years until they succumbed to coons-n-coyotes or redtails...

I had great luck with them. The first time I ordered a straight run RIR and wound up with 9 roosters.

I really want to get some guinea hens so they can help keep the tick population down.

I hope they at least do their consumers the courtesy of clearly labeling this stuff.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I had great luck with them. The first time I ordered a straight run RIR and wound up with 9 roosters.

I really want to get some guinea hens so they can help keep the tick population down.
    If you get guineas (hatching eggs) from the day they hatch out, they're skittish little things. The keets were the tiniest of our hatchlings.. never did adapt to hand feeding and the little buggers are FAST. And they're loud.. both in squawk and the stampede across the roof during bug hours.
    We used to look at them and say.. who's a pretty bird? Not you! called em goony birds

If you get guineas (hatching eggs) from the day they hatch out, they're skittish little things. The keets were the tiniest of our hatchlings.. never did adapt to hand feeding and the little buggers are FAST. And they're loud.. both in squawk and the stampede across the roof during bug hours.
    We used to look at them and say.. who's a pretty bird? Not you! called em goony birds
    Thanks for the tip. We have a few running around that we adopted, but we need more for tick population. It's bad this year. *SIGH*