Thread: Scientists Recover T. Rex Soft Tissue

Scientists Recover T. Rex Soft Tissue

WASHINGTON — March 24, 2005 - For more than a century, the study of dinosaurs has been limited to fossilized bones. Now, researchers have recovered 70 million-year-old soft tissue, including what may be blood vessels and cells, from a Tyrannosaurus rex.

If scientists can isolate proteins from the material, they may be able to learn new details of how dinosaurs lived, said lead researcher Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University.

"We're doing a lot of stuff in the lab right now that looks promising," she said in a telephone interview. But, she said, she does not know yet if scientists will be able to isolate dinosaur DNA from the materials.

It was recovered dinosaur DNA — the blueprint for life — that was featured in the fictional recreation of the ancient animals in the book and film "Jurassic Park."

The soft tissues were recovered from the thighbone of a T. rex, known as MOR 1125, that was found in a sandstone formation in Montana. The dinosaur was about 18 years old when it died.

The bone was broken when it was removed from the site. Schweitzer and her colleagues then analyzed the material inside the bone.

"The vessels and contents are similar in all respects to blood vessels recovered from ... ostrich bone," they reported in a paper bring published Friday in the journal Science.

Because evidence has accumulated in recent years that modern birds descended from dinosaurs, Schweitzer said she chose to compare the dinosaur remains with those of an ostrich, the largest bird available.

Brooks Hanson, a deputy editor of Science, noted that there are few examples of soft tissues, except for leaves or petrified wood, that are preserved as fossils, just as there are few discoveries of insects in amber or humans and mammoths in peat or ice.

Soft tissues are rare in older finds. "That's why in a 70 million-year-old fossil it is so interesting," he said.

Matthew Carrano, curator of dinosaurs at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, said the discovery was "pretty exciting stuff."

"You are actually getting into the small-scale biology of the animal, which is something we rarely get the opportunity to look at," said Carrano, who was not part of the research team.

In addition, he said, it is a huge opportunity to learn more about how fossils are made, a process that is not fully understood.

Richard A. Hengst of Purdue University said the finding "opens the door for research into the protein structure of ancient organisms, if nothing else.

While we think that nature is conservative in how things are built, this gives scientists an opportunity to observe this at the chemical and cellular level."

Hengst was not part of the research team.

John R. Horner of the Museum of the Rockies at Montana State University, said the discovery is "a fantastic specimen," but probably is not unique.

Other researchers might find similarly preserved soft tissues if they split open the bones in their collections, said Horner, a co-author of the paper.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7285683/ns.../#.VWRTlM9Vikr

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just as the new Jurassic Park comes out!??!!?

What going on here?

CLONE IT! CLONE IT! CLONE IT! If human beings have the opportunity to bring a T. Rex to life and we choose not to do so, the whole race deserves to die for being pathetic pansies. The same goes for mammoths and elephant birds.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Stunning....

I'm all in favor of cloning a t-rex.. Seems like an ideal pet.
    "I am a bird"

I'm against cloning the flying types for the record..

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    CLONE IT! CLONE IT! CLONE IT! If human beings have the opportunity to bring a T. Rex to life and we choose not to do so, the whole race deserves to die for being pathetic pansies. The same goes for mammoths and elephant birds.
    NO! NO! NO! Never forget Charlie Chaplin and the Nazis!

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Well, people running from them would be one way to tackle the obesity problem.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I could be wrong but I don't think they found actual soft tissue, but fossilized soft tissue. Which would mean there is nothing to clone but minerals.

Addendum: Looks like I am wrong.
    The controversial discovery of 68-million-year-old soft tissue from the bones of a*Tyrannosaurus rexfinally has a physical explanation. According to new research, iron in the dinosaur's body preserved the tissue before it could decay.
    Well go ahead and clone it, lol.
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 05-26-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Well according to some here, there's no such thing as Dinosaurs, and the Earth is only 6000 years old, so this story is obviously anti-Christian propaganda...

/Sarc
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Stunning....

I'm all in favor of cloning a t-rex.. Seems like an ideal pet.
    I move we clone them by the thousands and let them eat all the stupid and corrupt people. Start with Congress and work our way down to local cops and other vermin.

Yeah, there won't be many left, but who cares? It would be totally worth it.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I move we clone them by the thousands and let them eat all the stupid and corrupt people. Start with Congress and work our way down to local cops and other vermin.

Yeah, there won't be many left, but who cares? It would be totally worth it.
    And it would be quite a story to tell the kids..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

And viruses!

See date. 2005.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

So they found one of the Queen of England's relatives still intact interesting....

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kleenex, Puffs or Charmin?

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Well according to some here, there's no such thing as Dinosaurs, and the Earth is only 6000 years old, so this story is obviously anti-Christian propaganda...

/Sarc

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/...nosaur-fossil/

Upon examination of the horn under a high-powered microscope back at CSUN, Dacus says Armitage was “fascinated” to find soft tissue on the sample – a discovery Bacus said stunned members of the school’s biology department and even some students “because it indicates that dinosaurs roamed the earth only thousands of years in the past rather than going extinct 60 million years ago.”
    I have always been a millions of year guy, but there have been "lots" of soft tissue specimens found now (news to me) and you do have to ask.... 60,000,000 years?

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post

Upon examination of the horn under a high-powered microscope back at CSUN, Dacus says Armitage was “fascinated” to find soft tissue on the sample – a discovery Bacus said stunned members of the school’s biology department and even some students “because it indicates that dinosaurs roamed the earth only thousands of years in the past rather than going extinct 60 million years ago.”

I have always been a millions of year guy, but there have been "lots" of soft tissue specimens found now (news to me) and you do have to ask.... 60,000,000 years?

Yep, finding sot tissue doesn't line up with the official stories about the critters.
    Last edited by William Tell; 05-28-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

LOL! Gotta love how they totally ignore that their dating could be wrong.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

///
    ~Resident Badgiraffe