Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drowning in Texas

Drowning in Texas

Plus 2000 lightning strikes in 15 minutes. My street is majorly flooded.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Plus 2000 lightning strikes in 15 minutes. My street is majorly flooded.
    I think I just saw on the 11:00 Indy news where some teenager drowned at a storm drain . Around Dallas .

I have family that live near Dallas and they were hiding in the closet for a good portion of the day because the tornado sirens kept going off. They also lost electricity 3 times today.

Bad situation with those flash floods.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I think I just saw on the 11:00 Indy news where some teenager drowned at a storm drain . Around Dallas .
    It's been bad. Yesterday a town in the hill country had 1300 homes damaged and 100 completely destroyed when the river there went up to 43 ft. Flood level is 27 ft. Austin is flooded..the whole central part of the state is flooded and now Houston just got an emergency flash flood warning. They are telling people at the Rockets game not to leave. It's going to be a long night.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have family that live near Dallas and they were hiding in the closet for a good portion of the day because the tornado sirens kept going off. They also lost electricity 3 times today.

Bad situation with those flash floods.
    We had an EF1 hit here Saturday. It's bad all over the state.

Damn, I haven't been keeping close tabs on it and had no idea how bad it was. That's what I get for not watching "the news" I guess. I hope you're in a safe spot from floods Carlybee. I know you said your street was flooded.
    "The Patriarch"

Yeah, its pretty wet outside, I hear there was a lot of damage and at least one life lost. Very sad. I'm warm and dry though. Lots to be thankful for.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Lots to be thankful for.
    Like the Red River? Not that we don't have plenty of runoff of our own. But thank heavens for the Red draining away yours before it gets to us.

I guarantee we'll still be hearing all about the drought again by the end of July.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Damn, I haven't been keeping close tabs on it and had no idea how bad it was. That's what I get for not watching "the news" I guess. I hope you're in a safe spot from floods Carlybee. I know you said your street was flooded.
    It shouldn't come up to house level here but the whole city has gotten 6-8 inches over the last 4 or 5 hours. Our ground was already saturated. Now the bayous are going over their banks.

That sounds horrible . Be safe!
    "I am a bird"

It's been raining for 3 months where I live. It's a $#@!ing mess. The drought was over for us 2 months ago. It's just been washing away since then.

You all are struggling these days. Praying for some respite from the rain.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I guarantee we'll still be hearing all about the drought again by the end of July.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 05-26-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Yup, a drought would usually be underway by now here. I have only benefited from rain here so far personally.

I hope it rains every week all year as long as it doesn't wash anybody else away.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    You all are struggling these days. Praying for some respite from the rain.
    Please tell God we don't want a respite north of the Red River. We want to thank Him for ending the drought.

We believe in flood control measures here in civilization. And we build bridges here, not "low water crossings".
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Please tell God we don't want a respite north of the Red River. We want to thank Him for ending the drought.

We believe in flood control measures here in civilization. And we build bridges here, not "low water crossings".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

We have plenty of bridges in Texas. The one that was destroyed in Wimberley was not a low water crossing. When a rivers flood level is 20 ft and it goes up to over 49, $#@!s gonna happen but let's not get into comparing Texas vs Oklahoma infrastructure. Same thing when you get 10 inches of rain in 2 hours...I don't give a crap how great your flood control measures are. At least we don't get tornados and earthquakes every 5 minutes. Seriously, you are trying to say Oklahoma is more civilized than Texas? Mother Nature doesn't discriminate like that.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 05-26-2015 at 08:59 AM.

We have plenty of bridges in Texas. The one that was destroyed in Wimberley was not a low water crossing. When a rivers flood level is 20 ft and it goes up to over 49, $#@!s gonna happen but let's not get into comparing Texas vs Oklahoma infrastructure. Same thing when you get 10 inches of rain in 2 hours...I don't give a crap how great your flood control measures are. At least we don't get tornados and earthquakes every 5 minutes. Seriously, you are trying to say Oklahoma is more civilized than Texas? Mother Nature doesn't discriminate like that.
    You have a damned sight more bridges than we do. But the last time we lost one, a tug pilot rammed three or four fully loaded barges into the supports of it--an excuse y'all seem unable to use. You also have more low water crossings than we do. Like, approximately 100% more, like any sensible population would have.

As for comparing infrastructure, we have more miles of shoreline than you do. Even though you have a little thing called the Gulf of Mexico as about half of your southern border. Which is why we are controlling this deluge, instead of washing downstream. What's more, for all the dams and lakes we created, we didn't name a single one of them after James Buchanan, the guy who tried to prevent the Civil War by pissing off both sides even more than they already were. And since we never named a lake after that loser, we haven't had to spend the last umpteen decades trying to fool ourselves that we didn't by pretending to each other that we really named that lake after some mythical redneck named Buck Hannon.

What's more, we can barbeque longhorns in a sugar bowl. And we will, too, here in about five or six months.

You have a damned sight more bridges than we do. But the last time we lost one, a tug pilot rammed three or four fully loaded barges into the supports of it--an excuse y'all seem unable to use. You also have more low water crossings than we do. Like, approximately 100% more, like any sensible population would have.

As for comparing infrastructure, we have more miles of shoreline than you do. Even though you have a little thing called the Gulf of Mexico as about half of your southern border. Which is why we are controlling this deluge, instead of washing downstream. What's more, for all the dams and lakes we created, we didn't name a single one of them after James Buchanan, the guy who tried to prevent the Civil War by pissing off both sides even more than they already were. And since we never named a lake after that loser, we haven't had to spend the last umpteen decades trying to fool ourselves that we didn't by pretending to each other that we really named that lake after some mythical redneck named Buck Hannon.

What's more, we can barbeque longhorns in a sugar bowl. And we will, too, here in about five or six months.
    Enjoy your snark while people are losing their homes and in some cases still missing in flood waters. I'm more concerned about that than trying to one up a neighboring state. And I could give a flying monkeys butt about a stupid football game or who a stupid lake is named after. What are you? 12?

Stay safe! I'm near Austin and it's pretty bad at the moment
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Stay safe! I'm near Austin and it's pretty bad at the moment
    We're okay in my area but they are still rescuing people from flooded homes in some areas and a few of the freeways are still having issues. I saw pics of the flooding in Austin..unreal.

Enjoy your snark while people are losing their homes and in some cases still missing in flood waters. I'm more concerned about that than trying to one up a neighboring state. And I could give a flying monkeys butt about a stupid football game or who a stupid lake is named after. What are you? 12?
    Lol! Y'all are cute when you fight.

~Resident Badgiraffe

What Oklahmans count for shoreline:
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Lol! Y'all are cute when you fight.

Well, I have no choice but to plead guilty.

But I'm also libertarian enough to consider competition to be a good thing. And for all of you Texans who don't want this to happen to Texans generation after generation, and would like to motivate people to fix it, you could do a lot worse than to add the question, 'If Oklahoma can do it, why can't we?' to your arsenal.

And no, Danke, I did not say that we did not get a lot of drought-busting water (Thank You, Lord) or that we aren't having troubles with it ourselves.

Well, I have no choice but to plead guilty.

But I'm also libertarian enough to consider competition to be a good thing. And for all of you Texans who don't want this to happen to Texans generation after generation, and would like to motivate people to fix it, you could do a lot worse than to add the question, 'If Oklahoma can do it, why can't we?' to your arsenal.

And no, Danke, I did not say that we did not get a lot of drought-busting water (Thank You, Lord) or that we aren't having troubles with it ourselves.
    Oh buzz off. Texas doesn't need Oklahoma lecturing us about anything. Our states are not remotely alike. We have a heck of a lot more rivers and lakes not to mention being in a sub-tropical trough. 3 people drowned here last night and all you care about is bragging about your $#@!hole state that has the worst roads I've ever driven on next to maybe parts of Louisiana. However, I will call the governor's office and tell him there is a genius from Tulsa who has all the answers to our problems. Please don't equate libertarian ideals of competition with a stupid football game either. Smdh.

Oh buzz off. Texas doesn't need Oklahoma lecturing us about anything. Our states are not remotely alike. We have a heck of a lot more rivers and lakes not to mention being in a sub-tropical trough. 3 people drowned here last night and all you care about is bragging about your $#@!hole state that has the worst roads I've ever driven on next to maybe parts of Louisiana. However, I will call the governor's office and tell him there is a genius from Tulsa who has all the answers to our problems. Please don't equate libertarian ideals of competition with a stupid football game either. Smdh.
    Calm down. Your snark about tornados and your evident ignorance that we have had drowning deaths up here as well is eroding the moral high ground you're so intent on standing upon.

I'm not the one who started this thread in the seeming belief that only the residents of one state are having a hard time in this deluge.

I recanted. Why are you saying things you should recant, instead of declaring victory and moving along?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Drone footage over Buffalo Bayou Park. My son lives about 3 blocks from here. My cousin and his wife lost both their cars when their parking garage filled up to the windshields.

Last edited by Carlybee; 05-26-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Another line kicking up west of Ft. Worth.

Don't sit around and let yourself become a statistic, folks. If you're downstream, this is no time for complaisance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast