Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why butter and eggs won't kill us after all: Flawed science triggers U-turn on cholesterol fea

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This is the best way to eat grits. You mix up your sausage and fried eggs (over easy, ya want plenty of runny yolk) in the grits and make breakfast slop.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yes, agreed. If you are going to eat bacon buy it uncured with no nitrates/nitrites added.
    Truly uncured bacon tastes NOTHING like the bacon we are all used to. If the bacon you eat tastes at all like normal bacon, it is cured. It may not have sodium nitrite listed in the ingredients, but if it doesn't it will have celery juice. And celery juice contains sodium nitrite. If you know a source for bacon that tastes like bacon but has no sodium nitrite or celery juice added, I would like to know about it.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't eat instant grits.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Truly uncured bacon tastes NOTHING like the bacon we are all used to. If the bacon you eat tastes at all like normal bacon, it is cured. It may not have sodium nitrite listed in the ingredients, but if it doesn't it will have celery juice. And celery juice contains sodium nitrite. If you know a source for bacon that tastes like bacon but has no sodium nitrite or celery juice added, I would like to know about it.

I do not eat pork but I understand what you are talking about. A lot of the products that say uncured no nitrates/nitrites added use celery powder.

I buy a lot of my uncured products like beef bacon from a rancher locally which they do not use celery salt/powder or MSG in their uncured products. I just noticed that Trader Joe's turkey and beef uncured bacon products have celery powder. *SIGH*

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't eat instant grits.
    I have never had either. Putting it on my bucket list.

Science has been and always will be a theory. You've got a definite time here in your present form. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I buy local. Uncured, fresh frozen. I'm sure if it's frozen it can be shipped. https://sites.google.com/site/bluebi.../products/pork

I have never had either. Putting it on my bucket list.
    You wild woman.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I buy local. Uncured, fresh frozen. I'm sure if it's frozen it can be shipped. https://sites.google.com/site/bluebi.../products/pork
    Just for yucks, I wrote to these people and asked about their "bacon". Here is the response:

"The bacon is totally unseasoned. No salt, no celery, no sugar, no cure. If you cook it plain it will be like a rich slice of pork chop. To make it like bacon we season it heavily with salt and black pepper before cooking. We also sometimes use smoked salt, smoked paprika, or, if we're feeling spicy, smoked chipotle.

It cooks best in a cast iron skillet and it does need a little extra time compared to a cured bacon.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

William

William Lyons and Marie Williamson

Bluebird Farm
    4178 Bluebird Drive
    Morganton, NC "

So, I repeat, if you find bacon that actually tastes like bacon, it has either been treated with sodium nitrite or some form of celery extract or other organic source of nitrates or nitrites. If you find bacon that tastes like bacon and truly has not been treated in any way with any of these substances, let me know. By the way, I tried truly untreated bacon, shipped frozen from wellness meats, and did not like it at all. And no amount of salt and pepper or any other seasoning made it taste like bacon. I don't eat much bacon these days, because the fat profile is not great, but when I DO eat bacon (usually when dining out), I don't worry myself over whether they call it cured or not.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Science has been and always will be a theory.
    Yes, that's why science is so valuable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetic lee View Post
    Yes, that's why science is so valuable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
    I would quibble and exchange the phrase "not falsified" for the word "confirmed".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12