Thread: Maryland Vs. New Hampshire

Maryland Vs. New Hampshire

Maryland Vs. New Hampshire
    Source: https://www.facebook.com/FreeStatePr...type=1&theater

Six #Baltimore police officers were charged with killing #FreddieGray. The Baltimore Sun found bigger issues across the whole department: 100+ lawsuits against officers with $6M+ paid out in settlements. As the citywide curfew was implemented and the militarized police force rolled in, did you wonder who/what exactly your tax dollars were protecting and serving?
    Join us: http://pledge.freestateproject.org/share/
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if you recruit the same people who voted for the taxes in Maryland?

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    What if you recruit the same people who voted for the taxes in Maryland?

That couldn't work People have to agree to the Free State Project Statement of Intent to join the Free State Project.

Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

This is incomplete. It excludes property tax, where New Hampshire has the second highest rates, just behind New Jersey.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/p...y-tax-by-state

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    This is incomplete. It excludes property tax, where New Hampshire has the second highest rates, just behind New Jersey.

Ouch.

I'm surprised that California is so low on that list. Guess the have other ways to extort....

Ouch.

I'm surprised that California is so low on that list. Guess the have other ways to extort....
    It lists the percentage, not the actual property taxes people pay. If you move into a typical California house, you will be paying some of the highest property taxes in the nation, on par with New England, New York, and New Jersey. If you have lived in your CA house for 30 years, your property taxes will be a lot lower, due to Prop 13. It highly discourages CA people from moving (unless they decide to leave CA).
    http://www.nber.org/digest/apr05/w11108.html

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It lists the percentage, not the actual property taxes people pay. If you move into a typical California house, you will be paying some of the highest property taxes in the nation, on par with New England, New York, and New Jersey. If you have lived in your CA house for 30 years, your property taxes will be a lot lower, due to Prop 13. It highly discourages CA people from moving (unless they decide to leave CA).
    http://www.nber.org/digest/apr05/w11108.html
    Exactly. How does the property value compare in the OP.

+rep
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I were picking a state solely on low state taxes, the clear choice for me is Wyoming. Wyoming has no individual or corporate income tax. Property taxes are more reasonable, with the median house value of $184K, the median property tax bill is a little over $1K/yr. The state-wide sales tax is 4% (some localities are higher) and excludes groceries. They also have some of the lowest excise taxes.

I think New Hampshire has some valid selling points and like the idea of FSP, but low NH taxes is misleading for most, (unless you are coming from some other New England states or Illinois.)

As far as the comparison of how much house you get in CA vs NH goes, this is only minimally related to what the state charges you to have property there. I can't find numbers for the specific states, but according to census.gov in 2010 the median price per square foot in the Northeast was $102.43 and in the West it was $89.11. Now, let's put this strawman aside, and just look at the property taxes. The median home value in California is $384,200.00 with taxes of $2839. Meanwhile in New Hampshire, the houses have lower assessed values(MHV $249,700) and still pay 163%($4,636) of the property taxes vs Californians.

If I were picking a state solely on low state taxes, the clear choice for me is Wyoming. Wyoming has no individual or corporate income tax. Property taxes are more reasonable, with the median house value of $184K, the median property tax bill is a little over $1K/yr. The state-wide sales tax is 4% (some localities are higher) and excludes groceries. They also have some of the lowest excise taxes.

I think New Hampshire has some valid selling points and like the idea of FSP, but low NH taxes is misleading for most, (unless you are coming from some other New England states or Illinois.)

As far as the comparison of how much house you get in CA vs NH goes, this is only minimally related to what the state charges you to have property there. I can't find numbers for the specific states, but according to census.gov in 2010 the median price per square foot in the Northeast was $102.43 and in the West it was $89.11. Now, let's put this strawman aside, and just look at the property taxes. The median home value in California is $384,200.00 with taxes of $2839. Meanwhile in New Hampshire, the houses have lower assessed values(MHV $249,700) and still pay 163%($4,636) of the property taxes vs Californians.
    Thanks for that.

Exactly. How does the property value compare in the OP.
    There are so many different possible variables, it is hard to compare property taxes. For example, AK and NH have communities without property taxes. The Prop 13 issue in CA. Some states allow homestead exemptions. Over half of the land in NH is in Current Use status with very low property taxes. Image a single person living renting 1 room in a high property tax state. Their rent might only be $300 - $600 a month, so how much are they paying in property taxes (300 x 12 is only 3,600 a year in rent including property taxes).

The info is a little old but here are some numbers.
    http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...tate-2006-2010

State and Local Property Tax Collections Per Capita,
    Fiscal Year 2010
    State / Amount / Rank
    U.S. Average $1,434
    D.C. $3,106 (1)
    N.J. $2,819 1
    Wyo. $2,633 2
    Conn. $2,522 3
    N.H. $2,463 4
    N.Y. $2,280 5
    Vt. $2,166 6
    R.I. $2,083 7
    Mass. $1,986 8
    Alaska $1,865 9
    Ill. $1,827 10

There are exceptions in all states, where some localities have higher or lower taxes. On a statewide basis, we are looking at two sets of numbers here, both of which put New Hampshire as one of the most expensive for property taxes.

The numbers I quoted for median property tax bill (per property), has the most expensive states as: New Jersey ($6,579), Connecticut ($4,738), New Hampshire ($4,636), New York ($3,755) and Rhode Island ($3,618).

The numbers you are quoted take the total collected and divided it by the population, to give an average per capita. By this measurement, the most expensive property taxes are New Jersey ($2,819), Wyoming ($2,633), Connecticut ($2,522), New Hampshire ($2,463), and New York ($2,280).

Being in the top 5 most expensive in both sets, is not a strong argument for New Hampshire being a tax haven.

I am not trying to undermine FSP, but I find it intellectually dishonest to market New Hampshire as a low tax state. Yes, it is fantastic as far as no sales tax, estate tax or income tax. It also looks good in comparison to its neighbors in the Northeast. But with a nationwide perspective, the property taxes, corporate income taxes and excise taxes all are unfavorable.

Based on how we earn & spend our money, for just my family, I found that there would be no numerical significance between state and local taxes in the Philly suburbs vs New Hampshire. In my estimates, New Hampshire came in as 9th most expensive for us. YMMV.

FWIW, there are 13 states where I have determined that I could reasonably expect my state/local tax liability to be reduced by 1/3 or more, (WY, SD, TX, OH, NV, AK, NM, WA, ND, SC, LA, TN, MS.)

The graphic is a play on words. NH is tax free of the taxes mentioned on the graphic. It isn't meant to be a scientific paper or anything

There are lots of taxes in every state, including NH. So yes, you could say the graphic is very incomplete. It excludes lots of taxes and all fees.

As you pointed out, property tax is one of the many taxes not shown on the graphic. Property taxes are particularly hard to wrap a mind around, as discussed above. In NH, unlike in MD, there are communities without property taxes. In the 100s of towns in NH, property taxes/spending is decided by the voters in the towns. So the property taxes/spending for towns is at the level that the majority of the voters that vote agree to. Poor people generally don't care, because they pay no or almost no property taxes. The very rich generally don't care, as most of the land in NH is in Current Use status with very low property taxes, so the rich only have to pay whatever the town rate is on the their house and the one acre nearest it if they have 11 or more acres.

New Hampshire has the lowest state (excluding local) taxes in the nation. NH has the highest or near the highest median household income in the nation. A funny thing, just like you see in conservative suburbs of large cities over much of the country, many of the conservative suburbs of NH's largest cities have much higher taxes than the largest cities in NH. It's because the suburban conservatives make so much money, and have such low state taxes, they don't mind voting for high local taxes. Things are a lot different in some of the rural conservative towns, where the conservatives are fugal and vote for low local taxes.
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...ets-its-money/