Thread: Your Sunscreen Probably Doesn't Work

Your Sunscreen Probably Doesn't Work

Or you could just get out of the sun before you get crispy.

Surprisingly few Americans lather on sunscreen while enjoying the sunshine (a recent study found just 14% of men and 30% of women regularly put it on before going in the sun for more than an hour), but what's even more concerning is that those who do probably aren't all that protected from harmful rays. According to the Environmental Working Group's review of more than 1,700 SPF products, 80% offer "inferior sun protection or contain worrisome ingredients." Like oxybenzone (some research suggests it can penetrate skin and upset the hormone system) and retinyl palmitate (a form of vitamin A that may boost sun sensitivity and speed the growth of tumors). Products from brands like Coppertone, CVS, and Banana Boat contain both, but the worst of the bunch is Neutrogena, Time reports. Some 80% of its products contain oxybenzone, a third contain retinyl palmitate, and Neutrogena's "hypoallergenic" baby sunscreens contain the preservative methylisothiazolinone, which is considered unsafe in leave-on products in Europe.

Neutrogena is also one of several brands whose products claim to have SPF levels up to 100 or beyond, though the FDA says protection only reaches up to SPF 50. They "try to trick you into believing they'll prevent sun damage. Don't trust them," the EWG says in its Hall of Shame. The report notes it's important to keep in mind that SPF, or "sun protection factor," refers only to protection against UVB rays that cause sunburns, but not against UVA rays that can cause skin cancer, impede the immune system, and speed skin aging. That's why it's important to cover exposed skin and limit your time in the sun. You should also avoid spray sunscreens that, though convenient, "pose serious inhalation risks [and] make it too easy to apply too little or miss a spot," the EWG says.
    http://www.newser.com/story/207132/y...esnt-work.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've never, not even once, slathered that $#@! on my body.......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I don't use it either but I don't have fair skin. Mr Animal rubs it all over his face and it gets in his eye when he sweats or gets in the water.

Most sunscreens have toxic ingredients in it.

EWG Releases Toxic Sunscreens' List

Top-selling sunscreen brands including Neutrogena, Rite Aid, Walgreens "Well" brand, "Up and Up" brand from Target, and Coppertone were among those that made the most toxic list. Most contained the following three "red flag" ingredients. If you see them listed on the label of your sunscreen, throw it away and choose another:

1. Oxybenzone

This is one of the most troublesome ingredients found in the majority of sunscreens. Its primary function is to absorb ultraviolet light. However, oxybenzone is also believed to cause hormone disruptions and cell damage that may provoke cancer. According to EWG:2

"…the chemical oxybenzone penetrates the skin, gets into the bloodstream and acts like estrogen in the body. It can trigger allergic reactions. Data are preliminary, but studies have found a link between higher concentrations of oxybenzone and health harms.

One study has linked oxybenzone to endometriosis in older women; another found that women with higher levels of oxybenzone during pregnancy had lower birth weight daughters."

2. Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A palmitate)

Sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant cells develop and spread skin cancer because they contain vitamin A and its derivatives, retinol, and retinyl palmitate.

The problem occurs when this form of vitamin A is exposed to the sun (as opposed to when it is used in night cream, for example), which is why sunscreens that contain it should be avoided.

3. Fragrance

I caution against using personal care products that contain synthetic fragrance, as this term describes any number of harmful chemicals that do not have to be listed individually on the label. Some common "fragrance" chemicals include:

Parabens: Synthetic preservatives known to interfere with hormone production and release.
    Phthalates: Another synthetic preservative that's carcinogenic and linked to reproductive effects (decreased sperm counts, early breast development, and birth defects) and liver and kidney damage.
    Synthetic musks: These are linked to hormone disruption and are thought to persist and accumulate in breast milk, body fat, umbilical cord blood, and the environment.
    Source

Source
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Being a natural born critical thinker, I hate articles like this. The first paragraph is not at all what the headline is talking about - it's all just Natural News style fear mongering geared to the nonsensical fear of chemicals craze that is sweeping the internet.

And the second paragraph does not support the headline either. Nowhere is there any evidence that sunscreen does not work. The point they actually make is that the protection is maximized at 50 SPF, so paying extra for anything higher is like buying organic food - it's a pointless marketing gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Tried it once. Me and the ex went to a theme park so we grabbed some because of standing in lines. The crap was water proof and wouldn't allow us to sweat. We both had to pull out of line and wash it off because it was causing us to overheat. Never again. I just wear a light cotton long sleeve if the UV is too much to stand for long periods.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 05-24-2015 at 10:30 AM.