Thread: This “Rebel Farmer” is a Constant Target Of His Own Government. But His Wild Ideas Made Him a

This “Rebel Farmer” is a Constant Target Of His Own Government. But His Wild Ideas Made Him a

This “Rebel Farmer” is a Constant Target Of His Own Government. But His Wild Ideas Made Him a Global Icon

The Story of Sepp Holzer

One of the most prominent figures in permaculture is the Austrian Sepp Holzer, also known as the “Rebel Farmer.”

Holzer Permaculture involves setting up mini ecosystems of dozens of different tons of different plants while also utilizing animals to do some of the more time-consuming chores, as they would in nature. Instead of planting only companion plants based on a system of pH levels, Holzer mixes up several types of seeds in one bucket and then goes to work on the surrounding environment.

Mr. Holzer originally took over his father’s farm in the early 1960’s, which sits about 1,300 meters above sea level. The harsh location, which has been dubbed the “Austrian Siberia,” was said to be too difficult for farming, and yet Holzer managed to create a thriving plantscape including otherwise rare crops like kiwis and sweet chestnuts.

Since then, Holzer has branched out to Thailand, Columbia, Brazil and Scotland, growing tons of crops in some of the harshest locations imaginable.

“Permanent agriculture is possible any place in the world,” he says in the video below.

Holzer is also an outspoken critic of the current farming system, calling mono culture “modern farming’s original sin.”

He’s also been a thorn in the side of his country’s authorities for years, having been sued more times than any farmer in Austria, and yet he wins every time.

This is the story of one of Austria’s “Rebel Farmer” and how his clever ideas could change the world:

- See more at: http://althealthworks.com/6063/this-....2afHZ4LY.dpuf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This “Rebel Farmer” is a Constant Target Of His Own Government. But His Wild Ideas Made Him a Global Icon

- See more at: http://althealthworks.com/6063/this-....2afHZ4LY.dpuf
    What was he being sued for? Sorry, I'm feeling to lazy to google. I will google his way of growing crops later, though.

I watched a video on him a couple years ago. But what he's doing is going to require a whole different mindset and a different outlook on life. City dwellers are not into these things usually. Homesteaders and countryfolk probably are. The world is not going to be a homogenous place but I sure hope more of these examples pop up everywhere.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    What was he being sued for? Sorry, I'm feeling to lazy to google. I will google his way of growing crops later, though.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sepp+Holzer&l=1

Josef "Sepp" Holzer (born July 24, 1942 in Ramingstein, Province of Salzburg, Austria) is a farmer, author, and an international consultant for natural agriculture. After an upbringing in a traditional Catholic rural family, he took over his parents' mountain farm business in 1962 and pioneered the use of ecological farming, or permaculture, techniques at high altitudes (1100 to 1500 meters above sea level)[1] after being unsuccessful with regular farming methods.

Holzer was called the "rebel farmer" because he persisted, despite being fined and even threatened with prison,[2] with practices such as not pruning his fruit trees (unpruned fruit trees survive snow loads that will break pruned trees).[3] He has created some of the world's best examples of using ponds as reflectors to increase solar gain for Passive solar heating of structures, and of using the microclimate created by rock outcrops to effectively change the hardiness zone for nearby plants. He has also done original work in the use of Hügelkultur and natural branch development instead of pruning (see Fruit tree pruning) to allow fruit trees to survive high altitudes and harsh winters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepp_Holzer

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's pretty sweet. Where are you in Georgia, suzie? PM me if you want.

What a devil, he didn't prune his fruit trees!!!??? In our garden we give the plants a 'head start' by weeding in the planting vicinity until they get established, then we just pull the tree like weeds when they make getting around in the garden to difficult. Near the end of the harvest season we just let whatever grows take over. We have managed to fill three 5x5x5 compost bins over the last three years by doing this. We have so many migratory birds that come by and eat weed seeds and insects that we didn't used to, and so many new plants and wild flowers to attract the insects. On two occasion we've gotten to watch a hawk harvest a sparrow, who were hiding under our tomato plants after presumably seeing it flying around. And it has helped promote so much life in our soil. And, it has taken so much carbon out of the air, hundreds of pounds of it by the feel of moving all the dried plant matter to the compost bins. Luckily we have a fence, otherwise our 'green' local government, who will happily take my money to give to corporations for being 'green', would probably fine us, for taking too much carbon out of the air, essentially. lol, what a world.

eta:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    That's pretty sweet. Where are you in Georgia, suzie? PM me if you want.
    Somewhere between Atlanta and Athens off the Atlanta Hwy.