Thread: Rand Paul votes against "fast track" legislation

Rand Paul votes against "fast track" legislation

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Are you sure that's correct? Is there an article to go along with that?

Senate votes against fast-tracking TPP
    RT

Senate votes against fast-tracking TPP
    People Demand Action

"In a 52-45 vote on Tuesday afternoon, the Senate opposed moving forward for now on the Trans-Pacific Partnership. A procedural vote required at least 60 “ayes” in order to let the Senate host discussions on whether or not to give the president so-called “fast track” authority on the matter."

See the Roll Call here.

Rand voted 'Yes' to move towards Fast Track in support of the TPP.

[The TPP], "is trade Keynesianism. It's not free trade. It's managed trade ... Internationalism, NAFTA and CAFTA and WTO -- the New World Order is here and everything that promotes the New World Order is done at the expense of liberty and that is why we're in deep trouble ..." "
    -- Ron Paul, Fast-Track: Free Trade or Protectionism?
    Last edited by David Sadler; 05-22-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: expand

Those were all procedural votes. The roll call I linked to is the vote on final passage.

I'll admit to being confused.

The Bill cited in OP that Rand voted against tonight was:

Measure Number: H.R. 1314 (Ensuring Tax Exempt Organizations the Right to Appeal Act )
    Measure Title: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for a right to an administrative appeal relating to adverse determinations of tax-exempt status of certain organizations.
    Is that really the TPP???
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Looks like the OP link is to some vote regarding a tax-exempt law, according to description. Would have like this to be his fast-track vote but...no.

Those were all procedural votes. The roll call I linked to is the vote on final passage.
    Yeah, the name was wrong because it was a shell bill, which is done often.

Well done for Rand.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

The right decision and also smart politically.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pao View Post
    Looks like the OP link is to some vote regarding a tax-exempt law, according to description. Would have like this to be his fast-track vote but...no.
    The Senate took a House passed bill and substituted it with an amendment containing the fast track language. The Senate does this a lot.

// dupe post

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Loling at all the angry Ted Cruz fan boys at briertbart for voting for this, can't wait to read the responses over at the neoconrepuplic

The Senate took a House passed bill and substituted it with an amendment containing the fast track language. The Senate does this a lot.
    It's because certain types of legislation must originate in the House. It's a somewhat amusing design flaw that the Senate can use basically any House bill as a shell to pass their own versions of these bills, though.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Quote Originally Posted by cero View Post
    Loling at all the angry Ted Cruz fan boys at briertbart for voting for this, can't wait to read the responses over at the neoconrepuplic
    Please keep us posted

Little more clear now, thanks for explaining, and good for Rand...will help him later. Unfortunately, many--not having the value of your counsel to explain it to them--will not have fully understood all the voting, and even though he rejected it, will believe he supported fast-tracking. Of course, if a debate issue, I'm sure Rand can clear up the confusion.

I'm not so sure this was the correct vote. The counter argument is that other countries won't ever enter into an agreement with us if they believe that Congress will amend the trade agreement.

From Breitbart comments.

JoseyWales3 hours ago Since Ted Cruz voted for this American death knell, I'm afraid I'll have to wash my hands of him.
    I feel as though a friend has stabbed me in the back. I worked hard for him for two years,...starting when he was at 2%. I literally feel like crying.
    I really thought I knew him...but it looks like he's a traitor.
    Edit;
    Well, ted...Now You've Made Me Your Enemy. I'm going to get my old crew together to work Even Harder for your Defeat!...you traitorous scumbag! All the time and money I gave you, For This?!...you carpetbaggin' NON-TEXAN!p.o.s.SonuvabitchTwo-FacedBastard!!!~F U!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    From Breitbart comments.
    Let's get in there and let them know Rand voted against this. I just did.
    the rEVOLution begins!

The divide between Rand and McConnell deepens....

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    From Breitbart comments.
    Those people are ridiculous. They literally can't support any candidate because if they disagree with a candidate on even a single issue, that candidate loses their support. Kind of like some people within the liberty movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    The divide between Rand and McConnell deepens....
    I think you misunderestimate how the relationship works.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Good for Rand!
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I think you misunderestimate how the relationship works.
    It's starting to confuse me honestly.

Supporting Member
    Florida

Blog Entries
    I'm confused. He voted against the legislation that had the Fast-Track Authority in it? Or did he not? I'm getting mixed signals.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro97 View Post
    I'm confused. He voted against the legislation that had the Fast-Track Authority in it? Or did he not? I'm getting mixed signals.
    He voted against fast-track authority. The rollcall from the vote is linked in the OP.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Outstanding!

There will still be Rand-haters hating on Rand for failing to hold his jaw right while pressing 'no' though.

There were three key votes. Rand voted against all of them.

Senate Vote 183 - Advances Trade Bill (Cloture Motion Agreed to by a margin of 2 votes):
    http://politics.nytimes.com/congress...4/senate/1/183

Senate Vote 192 - Senate Advances Trade Bill (Cloture Motion Agreed to by a margin of 1 votes):
    http://politics.nytimes.com/congress...4/senate/1/192

Senate Vote 193 - Expands Trade Negotiating Power (Bill Passed by a margin of 12 votes):
    http://politics.nytimes.com/congress...4/senate/1/193
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by cero View Post
    Neoconservatives like Krauthammer were pushing for this. Cruz sided with them instead of the Tea Party base.

Related:

Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham vote to give Obama fast-track trade authority
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rade-authority
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.