Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticks!

Yer lucky Suz...it was only a butt crack tick.

I'm not gonna tell where one embedded itself on me once.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The Ozarks are a tick meca......

I've never found a good or even decent repellant, if you have dogs keep 'em dosed with Frontline and eat lots of garlic....

For berry pickin' (berry bushes are another tick hangout) the old timers recommend long pants and sleeves with diesel oil soaked rags wrapped wrist and ankles, but even that is marginal...
    Wow. I have a huge berry patch I've been working in.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yer lucky Suz...it was only a butt crack tick.

I'm not gonna tell where one embedded itself on me once.

I don't think I've ever had a tick on me. I have had a few chiggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    We have lots of cedar trees. I don't understand why they seem to be attracted to me.
    They are attracted to carbon dioxide and amonia. And sweat. You can't do much about the carbon dioxide aside from breathing less heavy (not saying that you're a heavy breather because I don't know) but you can lower your amonia levels.

Maybe loop a tick collar on your drawers or something when you're ouside working. That might work, too. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    They are attracted to carbon dioxide and amonia. And sweat. You can't do much about the carbon dioxide aside from breathing less heavy (not saying that you're a heavy breather because I don't know) but you can lower your amonia levels.

Maybe loop a tick collar on your drawers or something when you're ouside working. That might work, too. Seriously.
    Heavy breathing and sweat. I think Suz will just have to learn to live with them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Get chickens.
    Chickens will also eat any berries that may be around their favorite tick spot. Aside from that, they will destroy the rest of the garden.
    "I am a bird"

Please no. No sailor stories, please.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

And I was the one to dig it out.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Whoa. You mean inside the tallywhacker? oooh. Ouch...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    And I was the one to dig it out.
    You're a good wife. Mr Animal got one on his balls and I told him that was his problem.

Worst thing about ticks is that they look like some kind of alien space monster from a bad horror movie.
    "I am a bird"

This goes here,,

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

You're a good wife. Mr Animal got one on his balls and I told him that was his problem.
    Well damn. Leaving that poor man to suffer like that. I hope you at least make good sammiches.

I would've handed him a pair of tweezers. That being said, if it was your child you would've done it I'm guessing. I remember a certain boy child of mine and a zipper incident...

You might want to think about adding a lot of brewer's yeast or B complex supplements in the summers. I take a lot of B complex and I haven't been bitten by a mosquito or a tick in a decade. We live in an area where there are a lot of ticks and mosquitoes.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    You might want to think about adding a lot of brewer's yeast or B complex supplements in the summers. I take a lot of B complex and I haven't been bitten by a mosquito or a tick in a decade. We live in an area where there are a lot of ticks and mosquitoes.
    Great points...The B-1 vitamins works on mosquitoes--not too sure about ticks though?

Extra Thiamine May Make Mosquitoes Think You Stink

A study back in the 1960s indicated that taking vitamin B1 (thiamine) may be effective in discouraging mosquitoes from biting. However, studies since then have been inconclusive.18 The theory is, taking more vitamin B1 than your body requires causes the excess to be excreted through your urine, skin, and sweat. Vitamin B1 produces a skin odor that female mosquitoes seem to find offensive.

This vitamin is water-soluble, and there is no danger of toxicity—even at high doses—so it is a safe measure to try. Dr. Janet Starr Hull recommends taking one vitamin B1 tablet a day from April through October, and then adding 100 mg of B1 to a B100 Complex daily during the mosquito season to make you less attractive to mosquitoes. You may also want to forgo bananas during mosquito season, as something about how they are metabolized appears attract mosquitoes. Research also suggests that regularly consuming garlic or garlic capsules may help protect against both mosquito and tick bites.
    Source
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

tea tree oil comes to mind too.. with the other essential oils

and guinea birds! They're loud.. they're messy but man can they consume bugs. We have love bugs here.. when there are guineas.. we don't see any, and for some reason they seem to leave dragonflies alone.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Heavy breathing and sweat. I think Suz will just have to learn to live with them.
    I reckon so. I'm not giving up heavy breathing and sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Well damn. Leaving that poor man to suffer like that. I hope you at least make good sammiches.
    He didn't marry me for my sammiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I would've handed him a pair of tweezers. That being said, if it was your child you would've done it I'm guessing. I remember a certain boy child of mine and a zipper incident...
    You should know that trying to tweeze a tick where you can't actually see really well is a good recipe for squeezing the body of the tick, injecting all that crap into your body and getting deathly ill.

Nail polish remover works well.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Nail polish remover works well.
    Dielectric grease works well in a few minutes if it doesn't have a thinning agent.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Oh for Pete's sake just grab the damn thing, pull it off and crush it by rolling it between your thumbnails....

They're not that big a deal.....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake just grab the damn thing, pull it off and crush it by rolling it between your thumbnails....

They're not that big a deal.....
    Call me silly, but the last thing I want to do is inject tick vomit and guts under my skin. Even if they DON'T have Lyme Disease that's just gross.

Now forgetting for a moment the whole ick factor and going with pure cold logic, squeezing an embedded tick increases your chances of contracting Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, babesiosis, Powassan disease, Ehrlichia chaffeensis and Ehrlichia ewingii (which cause human ehrlichiosis), STARI, tularemia, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis, Colorado tick fever, or tick-borne relapsing fevers (Borrelia hermsii, B. parkerii, or B. turicatae).

You really don't have to have some kind of bug phobia to simply want to avoid tick borne illnesses.

You should know that trying to tweeze a tick where you can't actually see really well is a good recipe for squeezing the body of the tick, injecting all that crap into your body and getting deathly ill.
    Eek

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd imagine most wives see a tick there, the suffering and feel a sorta kinship with the tick.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Eek
    That's why the last time I had a girlfriend (like, back in the stone age or something), we would always remove each other's ticks when they got lodged in places that were hard to see. Diseases suck.

That's why the last time I had a girlfriend (like, back in the stone age or something), we would always remove each other's ticks when they got lodged in places that were hard to see. Diseases suck.
    Some things better left unsaid...or posted.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Some things better left unsaid...or posted.
    I'm just sayin' "remove that yourself mister" is a good recipe for a very sick SO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast