Thread: Britain's oldest pub 'Ye Olde Fighting Cocks' under to pressure to change name (PETA)

Britain's oldest pub 'Ye Olde Fighting Cocks' under to pressure to change name (PETA)

Britain's oldest pub is under to pressure to change its name - Ye Olde Fighting Cocks - from an animal rights group.

They say the eighth century boozer in St Albans, Hertfordshire, should be renamed to Ye Olde Clever Cocks to "reflect compassion for animals".

But regulars at the pub - listed as Britain's oldest by Guinness World Records - say the idea is bonkers.

Since it was founded in the eighth century, the pub in Abbey Mill Lane has had many names, but since 1872 it has been called Ye Olde Fighting Cocks because of its history of cockfighting - a sport banned in the UK in the 1800s.

But in a letter sent to the pub on Monday, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) urges the pub to update its name to Ye Olde Clever Cocks - in recognition of society's growing compassion for animals.

PETA director Mimi Bekhechi said: "Changing the name would reflect today's rejection of needless violence and help celebrate chickens as the intelligent, sensitive and social animals they are.

"Today, kind people are appalled by the thought of forcing birds to fight to the death and more people than ever are making the compassionate choice not to eat chickens, either."

The Review ran an online poll asking readers if they thought the name should be changed, in which 61 per cent (517 people) said no compared to 39 per cent (334 people) who said yes.

Hundreds have also taken to social media to express their outrage at the idea.

Alasdair Melville used to work at the pub and is a former pupil of St Albans School.

The 31-year-old said: "Rather than worrying about the name of a pub, I think PETA should worry about looking after chickens at chicken farms for example. "There is a better way to make a point."

Mr Melville, who owns estate agents Hawk and Chadwick, added: "If the pub were to change its name, where does it end? "I do not associate the name with cock fighting, I associate with the history.

"St Albans is great place in which to work and live because it's steeped in history." Esme Rice has lived in the city for 20 years and said the pub was a landmark.

She said: "I remember eating in their garden when I was young and my dad explaining about the sport and how barbaric it is but how this pub is a mark of heritage and history, not a celebration of the sport."

Another regular, Robert Oakhill, 71, of Dexter Close, said: "The thing that appals me is the total lack of appreciation of history.

"The current name informs us about the past. It enables us to contemplate the great advances that have been made.

"The new name is, to use the most appropriate critical term, 'bonkers'."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-olde-5727096

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Little do they realize, no matter what you name it, cocks will fight anyway.

I had two roosters in my chicken house and had to decide which one I wanted to invite in for dinner and which one to leave out there to take care of the hens. Had I not decided soon enough, the roosters would have decided for me and then I would have missed out on a great chicken dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Little do they realize, no matter what you name it, cocks will fight anyway.

I had two roosters in my chicken house and had to decide which one I wanted to invite in for dinner and which one to leave out there to take care of the hens. Had I not decided soon enough, the roosters would have decided for me and then I would have missed out on a great chicken dinner.
    They grow spurs for a reason........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    They grow spurs for a reason........
    That's right and even those little one year old spurs can poke a hole in your pant leg.

A cock attacked me once.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    A cock attacked me once.
    What's with the mad face?

If anything, they need to name a new pub.... "The modern stupid idiot." So those PETA people will have something to remember them by.

It probably hurt.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It probably hurt.
    It did and I have a scar to prove it.

That's right and even those little one year old spurs can poke a hole in your pant leg.
    My son had his first cockerel encounter when he was 6 and a young one poked a pair of holes in his thigh, scared the $#@! out of him.

I let him help gut-n-pluck for dinner, made it all better...

My son had his first cockerel encounter when he was 6 and a young one poked a pair of holes in his thigh, scared the $#@! out of him.

I think that's much like the way fish you caught seem to taste better than the ones somebody else caught, especially if you are camping.

You're a good man, tod evans. My dad killed the one that attacked me.

This goes here,,

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Reminders of ancient barbarism don't lead people to go back to barbarism. Erasing all reminders of ancient barbarism leads people back to that barbarism, because then we no longer remember how bad that barbarism is and what bad things it leads to.

Those who refuse to let anyone learn from history are doomed to see it repeated. That's a hazard that free speech can actually prevent.

Why are 'liberals' so often so fascinated by the idea of thought police?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-21-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.