Thread: Boy Scouts banning squirt gun fights and limiting size of water balloons

Boy Scouts banning squirt gun fights and limiting size of water balloons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cout-kind.html

Being kind is part of being a Boy Scout.

It's the reason why they should help old ladies cross the street... and never have water gun fights.

In a blog post this month, safety expert Bryan Wendell reminded his Boy Scouts of America peers that BSA rules 'prohibit pointing simulated firearms at people' and the policy 'includes water guns'.

In the post, titled 'Water guns OK for target shooting, not for firing at other scouts.' Wendell revealed the reasoning behind the rule

He wrote: 'A Scout is kind.

'What part of pointing a firearm [simulated or otherwise] at someone is kind?'

The emphasis on kindness also restricts Scouts from pointing rubber band guns at others and details that water balloons should be 'small and biodegradable' and filled 'no larger than a ping pong ball'.

Though Wendell's post is less than two weeks old, the rules are not, according to the Huffington Post.

Director of communications Deron Smith said: 'This is not a new guideline or regulation.

'As it always has, the BSA's Guide to Safe Scouting allows youth members to use water guns and rubber band guns while shooting at targets but not at each other.'

Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Sea Scouts and members of other associated groups are allowed to play paintball or laser tag, providing they are shooting at non-living targets that don't resemble humans.

Activities involving crossbows, cannons, boomerangs, bottle rockets, ninja weapons, anvil shooting, potato guns, spears and, of course, the always popular shovel throwing are always unauthorized.

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.troop186tucson.org/library.html

The first Boy Scout Handbook came out in 1911 (pre-dated by Scouting for Boys)

The BSA wusification "Guide to Safe Scouting" appears to have been first published in 2013.

So when is the dress code going to start requiring skirts for the official uniform?

-t

"You could get your eye wet." ~
    From the 21st century remake of A Christmas Story.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

da fuq?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Hmm, my troop used to paintball quite a bit.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Why be a Boy Scout today? It's pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    IDK...do they teach the stuff in the handbook, like kayaking, camping stuff, etc? I get the impression from this thread that they're making it more of a social club than scouting. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    IDK...do they teach the stuff in the handbook, like kayaking, camping stuff, etc? I get the impression from this thread that they're making it more of a social club than scouting. :/
    No idea. Long since removed. We did have a handbook from the '50's, which was quite good on the basics. Wish I could find it to show the offspring. I could probably reproduce the pages on using a stick and the shadow it cast from the sun to find all four cardinal directions. I remember paging through that all the time. Can only imagine what it looks like today

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No idea. Long since removed. We did have a handbook from the '50's, which was quite good on the basics. Wish I could find it to show the offspring. I could probably reproduce the pages on using a stick and the shadow it cast from the sun to find all four cardinal directions. I remember paging through that all the time. Can only imagine what it looks like today
    Go to used.addall.com and find one of the old ones for cheap. You don't want to look at a current one - trust me! Also, get a copy of Scouting for Boys - it's avail in reprint and tells you where the boy scouts came from. Hint, it was a war zone...

-t

No, no, no. There's a point alright. To turn out little neutered metrosexual eunuchs.
    "The Patriarch"

Seems contrary to the whole pre-military side of the BSA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Seems contrary to the whole pre-military side of the BSA.
    Lol, we live in contrarian times.
    "The Patriarch"

Didn't the Boy Scouts used to shoot real guns all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Wasn't the boy scouts founded to be a copycat of the Hitler youth?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    They still can - just not at each other.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Wasn't the boy scouts founded to be a copycat of the Hitler youth?
    Haha. ..I don't know. Was it?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.