Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles City Council votes to increase minimum wage to $15/hr

Los Angeles City Council votes to increase minimum wage to $15/hr

L.A. City Council approves increase in city's minimum wage to $15 by 2020

The Los Angeles City Council tentatively agreed Tuesday to raise the city’s minimum wage to $15 per hour, joining a trend sweeping cities across the country as elected leaders seek to address stagnating pay for workers on the lowest rungs of the socio-economic ladder.

The ordinance would boost the $9 an hour base wage to $15 by 2020 for as many as 800,000 workers, city officials say, and make L.A. the largest U.S. city to adopt a major minimum-wage increase. Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle already have adopted similar laws.

Tuesday's 14-1 vote was the latest demonstration of organized labor’s clout at City Hall. Through close to a year of often-emotional debate, labor leaders never gave ground on their central demand that the minimum wage rise to at least $15.

The council’s plan will now be submitted to the city attorney’s office, which will draft an ordinance that will return to council members later this year for approval.

After that, the wage increase would be signed into law by the mayor, with the first wage boost – to $10.50 per hour – taking effect in July 2016.
    More:
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...518-story.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By 2020 15 bucks an hour will be the equivalent of 11 bucks an hour now, so it shouldn't hurt LA businesses any considering most pay 11 bucks an hour or more now.

Raise it NOW!!!!!!
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

The ordinance would boost the $9 an hour base wage to $15 by 2020 for as many as 800,000 workers
    How much you want to bet it increases it for only 600,000 and leaves 200k unemployed?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

It'll be interesting to see how this works out on a city by city basis. Some places it might work, others not as much. I'd guess Seattle and San Fran should be ok. Wouldn't be so sure about Chicago and LA.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    How much you want to bet it increases it for only 600,000 and leaves 200k unemployed?
    I think you might be optimistic.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

I want all of CA to do this ASAP, make themselves an example, show why this is such a bad idea. That and i just have a very deep hatred for all things government in CA (my birth state).

If a little is good, more is better. I call your 15 and raise you another 10. Make it $25 now and be done with it. Workers will have enough money for daycare, vacation at Disney world, will be off welfare. It will be an economic boom to the city.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good luck with that....

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Eh. Inflation will eat it up like it does everything else.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Seattle lost many eateries. I guess LA is next.

The Los Angeles City Council tentatively agreed Tuesday to raise the city’s minimum wage to $15 per hour unemployment, joining a trend sweeping cities across the country as elected leaders seek to address stagnating pay for impoverish and thus win the votes of workers on the lowest rungs of the socio-economic ladder.

The ordinance would boost the $9 an hour base wage to $15 misery and desperation by 2020 for as many as 800,000 workers, city officials say, and make L.A. the largest U.S. city to adopt a major minimum-wage increase resemble the Democratic Republic of Congo. Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle already have adopted similar laws.

Tuesday's 14-1 vote was the latest demonstration of organized labor’s clout at City Hall. Through close to a year of often-emotional debate, labor leaders never gave ground on their central demand that the minimum wage rise to at least $15 bread should be taken from the mouths of the poor to finance additional hookers and blow for union leaders.

The council’s plan will now be submitted to the city attorney’s office, which will draft an ordinance that will return to council members later this year for approval.

After that, the wage increase death-blow to the city's poor would be signed into law by the mayor, with the first wage boost – to $10.50 per hour – hunger riots likely taking effect in July 2016.
    FIFY

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Seattle lost many eateries. I guess LA is next.
    Not true. Seattle still is growing, and so are the number of restaurants, cafes, and eateries. I just read an article about it. There is tons of tech money here.

And your statement is especially irrelevant, since min wage is only $10 an hour in Seattle right now for tip bearing jobs. So even if restaurants had shut down, it would have nothing to do with minimum wage, which statewide is $9.37/hour.

And as I have noted in other threads, Ivars (seafood restaurant chain) already pays $15 an hour.

Non tip jobs pay $11.

But most jobs pay $12 and $13 at least. Even janitors and such.

The big corporate elites wanted this, they've imported foreign workers for decades, they changed the demographics of California and turned it from a moderately conservative state to one run by far-left whackjobs.

They wanted it, they got it.

Sad thing is, the rest of the country will soon follow.
    Summum Jus, Summa Iniuria - More Law, Less Justice

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    The big corporate elites wanted this, they've imported foreign workers for decades, they changed the demographics of California and turned it from a moderately conservative state to one run by far-left whackjobs.

They wanted it, they got it.

Sad thing is, the rest of the country will soon follow.
    Both parties support a minimum wage.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Republicans may not be totally on the side of free market capitalism in the fact that they support A minimum wage. Democrats are alone in supporting a and unrealistic minimum wage for the whole country. That is a whole new level of stupid.

I would like to see a compromise where both sides agree to put an age requirement on it. Say no minimum wage for citizens 19 and below and say $10+ minimum wage for everybody else.

This should take care of dems support to raise minimum wage for people who are not teenagers and also work in line with republicans supposed support of the free market

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    And your statement is especially irrelevant, since min wage is only $10 an hour in Seattle right now for tip bearing jobs. So even if restaurants had shut down, it would have nothing to do with minimum wage, which statewide is $9.37/hour.
    The federal minimum wage tipped employees is $2.15 an hour. Yeah, the tipped employees in Seattle must be making out. Instead of the average of $15 an hour, they might be getting $25 an hour, considering their much higher base pay and that food is more expensive in Seattle. In other words, if you have no skills and want to buy a house, rent a bedroom in Seattle for a few years will taking 2 part-time waiting jobs. You will quickly save up enough money to move to a depressed area (like most of the Midwest) and buy a house.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Depends. There are several states without a general state minimum wage: AL, LA, MS, NH, SC, and TN
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    The federal minimum wage tipped employees is $2.15 an hour. Yeah, the tipped employees in Seattle must be making out. Instead of the average of $15 an hour, they might be getting $25 an hour, considering their much higher base pay and that food is more expensive in Seattle. In other words, if you have no skills and want to buy a house, rent a bedroom in Seattle for a few years will taking 2 part-time waiting jobs. You will quickly save up enough money to move to a depressed area (like most of the Midwest) and buy a house.
    Indeed. The best paying unskilled jobs here are definitely waitresses and bar tenders. I have a friend that waitresses at a higher end restaurant, she makes about $75 an hour.

There's one Republican on the LA city council, and if he supports this its only because he is a saying anything to keep his seat.

Back to what I said, California has been changed from a moderately conservative state to a insane left-wing lunatic clown car about to go over a cliff and this has happened in about 30 years and its due to mass immigration.

Only illegals will be able to work, LOL.

Pikers.

Haters.

If passing a law is all that is needed, why not make it $100 an hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Pikers.

Haters.

If passing a law is all that is needed, why not make it $100 an hour?
    Why stop there?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Why stop there?
    oh $#@! we can all get rich!

$1000/hr

woot!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what is called artificially re-creating a middle class. As if.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

all that'll do is kill jobs because they will be giving 1 person the job of 2. But hey, I'd rather do 2 jobs at once and get $15 for the same hour.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    with the gradual increase, it might not make unemployment so obvious, but it will allow cost of living to creep up, making the raise useless if not harmful for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    with the gradual increase, it might not make unemployment so obvious, but it will allow cost of living to creep up, making the raise useless if not harmful for the rest.
    It will especially be harmful to the middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinTime View Post
    It will especially be harmful to the middle class.
    ironically, it was advertised that it intended to create a new middle class. I guess you'll always have a middle class, just not what many want it to be. i don't think it'll hurt the middle class (unless they're business owners) as much as the underclass, barely employed, newly graduated and unemployed.

You guys, I have a great idea! Why don't we raise the minimum wage to $100 an hour? More money for everybody! I can't believe nobody's ever thought of this before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast