Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul filibusters Patriot Act renewal and yields floor after 10.5 hours - Official thread

Rand Paul filibusters Patriot Act renewal and yields floor after 10.5 hours - Official thread

Last edited by eleganz; 05-30-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm ready! I'm thinking about having a party of Rand friends over to watch it, complete with pizza and music!

Quote Originally Posted by tennman View Post
    I'm ready! I'm thinking about having a party of Rand friends over to watch it, complete with pizza and music!
    I just hope he follows thru, as McConnell really wants this renewed.

I thought he was just doing a normal filibuster, not a talking one?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    I thought he was just doing a normal filibuster, not a talking one?
    A talking filibuster is extremely unlikely given that McConnell is unlikely to give Rand control of the floor for an unlimited amount of time. Talking filibusters usually occur when you catch the floor leaders off guard and not when you publicly announce it.

So what is a "normal" filibuster?

I was hoping for some ole' fashion 13 hour southa'hn filibustin'

Maybe McConnell owes him one still

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanJames View Post
    So what is a "normal" filibuster?
    A normal filibuster is completely behind the scenes. It just forces the Senate to find 60 votes to invoke cloture to move on to the underlying legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    I didn't see a thread on this yet and wanted to get some info on it if anybody had been following the saga.
    For a planned filibuster, there seems to be a lot of information lacking.
    He can only paper filabuster unless he gets the floor magically. I think he could do something truly extraordinary- if he were to protest this like the tankman - this is a war on our privacy even if he is forcefully removed from the chamber it would echo across the country like a message from god himself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    He can only paper filabuster unless he gets the floor magically. I think he could do something truly extraordinary- if he were to protest this like the tankman - this is a war on our privacy even if he is forcefully removed from the chamber it would echo across the country like a message from god himself.

If McConnell really was going to pay back some of that political debt to Rand, he would find some way to get Rand to the floor without making it look on purpose. I know the rules are complicated, is that possible?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    If McConnell really was going to pay back some of that political debt to Rand, he would find some way to get Rand to the floor without making it look on purpose. I know the rules are complicated, is that possible?
    You must be kidding right? McConnell isn't going to help Rand Paul go against his OWN desires. The only thing McConnell will do for Rand Paul is stump for him should he make it to general election. THAT'S IT! Quit dreaming.

McConnell owes everything to Paul, he got him elected and helped him rise to power. You could even say that he is escalating the argument by pushing for the opposition, for a clean reauthorization. I think they could make a stink out of it without revealing his trump card but Paul says he is pulling out all the stops, so chances are if Mitch can make it happen he will. Either way all eyes are on you President Paul...

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    McConnell owes everything to Paul, he got him elected and helped him rise to power.
    McConnell had around 60 percent of the vote to Bevin's 35 percent or so when the results came in. Pretty sure McConnell would have defeated Bevin with or without Paul's help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    McConnell had around 60 percent of the vote to Bevin's 35 percent or so when the results came in. Pretty sure McConnell would have defeated Bevin with or without Paul's help.
    I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    You must be kidding right? McConnell isn't going to help Rand Paul go against his OWN desires. The only thing McConnell will do for Rand Paul is stump for him should he make it to general election. THAT'S IT! Quit dreaming.
    McConnell would need to help some other way because I'm pretty sure him stumping for Rand would hurt Rand.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

So aside from Mitch/Rand drama, whats going on with the actual filibuster that was supposed to take place today?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

McConnell would need to help some other way because I'm pretty sure him stumping for Rand would hurt Rand.
    McConnell is a politician and like all of them, they are always just trying to stay elected.

Some people think we only took over Iowa and Nevada in 2012... I think its time for Mitch to pony up. Which voters do you think Mitch NEEDS in his home state? Among Republican primary voters ages 18 to 34, Paul ran away from the field with 41 percent
    Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/13/3...#storylink=cpy

Do you see him kissing anyone else' ass any time soon?

* Rand Paul, 26%.
    * Mike Huckabee, 15%.
    * Jeb Bush, 12%.
    * Scott Walker 10%.
    * All other 2016 Republican presidential candidates are in single digits.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What happened to the Fillabuster?

I seem to recall there was going to be a fillabuster?

I understand it's probably going to be a paper one, not a talking one, but, I mean, did anything happen yet?

Is the patriot act over now?

I think the Memorial Day Senate recess happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wealeat View Post
    You're joking right?
    No, my understanding is it was supposed to happen Tuesday (yesterday), no? Is it yet to occur? Did it fizzle? Did it already happen?

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:37 PM.

New video from Rand:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'm seeing on twitter that Rand is speaking on the senate floor right now.

Live: Rand Paul speaking out against Patriot Act on Senate floor

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?326084-...authority&live

watching........does anyone know when he began?
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It hasn't "happened". It sorta all depends on when leadership decides to bring the patriot act up for a vote.
    They really got about a day to try to get all the votes necessary. The NSA is preparing to shutdown as we speak.

The Obama administration says the NSA must begin preparing to end its bulk-telephone-spying program as soon as Friday. NSA will attempt to ensure that any shutdown of the program occurs as close in time as possible to the expiration of the authority, Last week, the House overwhelmingly passed the USA Freedom Act, which would effectively end the NSA's phone dragnet while extending the Patriot Act's three surveillance provisions. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republican defense hawks instead prefer a short-term "clean" reauthorization of the authorities. It is unclear if either option has the 60 votes necessary to advance, and the House is due to leave town on Thursday until June.

Quote Originally Posted by hillertexas View Post
    does anyone know when he began?
    around 1:22 pm ET

Edit: he started at 1:18 pm ET
    Last edited by tsai3904; 05-20-2015 at 11:43 AM.

What did he say he was doing? I need to know what to post with the link on social media.

EDIT: He posted this on Facebook:

I've just taken the senate floor to begin a filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal. It's time to end the NSA spying! Join me at http://www.randpaul.com
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

Drudged!
    Emailed stu@glennbeck.com
    Emailed me@glennbeck.com
    Last edited by hillertexas; 05-20-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast