Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul filibusters Patriot Act renewal and yields floor after 10.5 hours - Official thread

Was worried when Cruz showed up, but it looks like he's just here to kiss Rand's butt.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I am convinced Cruz (who was endorsed by Ron Paul) is a plant by the Paul family to take the neocon vote away from the establishment and then endorse Rand or be his VP.

If any of you have not already seen our grassroots project a number of us are working on, please consider pledging here:

http://www.RandPaulDigital.com

For more info you can also check this thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Gen-Grassroots

Thank you
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Rand wants to let section 215 expire, Lee said he supports keeping it with some added restrictions.
    Rand = Ron Oh and Cruz shows up echoing Lee. Better than nothing. Just twittered Cruz like 20 mins ago asking where is he.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    it doesn't matter what he says; the purpose is to use senate time and mess up the schedule. he could read from cook books as Strom Thurmond did
    There isn't really a threat to the Senate schedule even if he were to go all the way into tomorrow afternoon. The purpose is to bring this issue front and center into public debate and to win over the public. Rand's drone filibuster had a dramatic effect on public perception on drone policy. Additionally the political points gained from Rand pressing the issue and other Senators (including Cruz) following his lead, are nice.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    I am convinced Cruz (who was endorsed by Ron Paul) is a plant by the Paul family to take the neocon vote away from the establishment and then endorse Rand or be his VP.
    Cruz and Mike Lee are both hoping for SCOTUS appointments; neither would make a good VP choice as TX and UT would be sure things

Quote Originally Posted by ord33 View Post
    I thought that Rand Paul and Wyden came up with together with the amendments they'd put on the USA Freedom Act. Rand went through a list of 5 or 6 amendments to the USA Freedom Act that may persuade him to support it?
    Right, but I think that Wyden probably feels that although the USA Freedom Act isn't perfect, he believes that it's a step in the right direction.

Can anyone give me the tldr of the days events? Is he still going?

What does the FA do towards policing against terrorists that Rand's Filib of the PA doesn't? What are Lee's and Cruz's differences yet they seem to support Rand quite a bit here?

Does Cruz think he's just chilling at the bar with Rand or something? Lots of fluff
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    What does the FA do towards policing against terrorists that Rand's Filib of the PA doesn't? What are Lee's and Cruz's differences yet they seem to support Rand quite a bit here?
    I'm not sure if I necessarily know the specifics, but basically Rand wants to repeal the Patriot Act entirely, Cruz and Lee want to reform it but not repeal it, and people like Rubio and Graham support the Patriot Act as is and even want to expand it.

Wrapping it up now

Cruz really put Rand over

McConnell aide: If Paul talks past midnight, he will delay NSA consideration. An aide for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said late Wednesday that if Paul continues his talk-a-thon past midnight, he will succeed in delaying the Senate's possible consideration of any Patriot Act extension, possibly into the weekend or later.

This is significant because the House is due to pack its bags and leave town tomorrow. Because the Patriot Act's spy authorities expire on June 1, the Senate may not be able to pass any surveillance legislation in time before the lower chamber recesses until next month.

If Paul makes it past midnight, the McConnell aide said, he will delay when the Senate—which still needs to address pending trade legislation—can file cloture on any Patriot Act legislation.
    http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/...-blog-20150520

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Cruz really put Rand over
    Yeah, hopefully Rand collected the votes he needed cuz he's wrapping it up. Good day and may the interviews and media tomorrow help the wind at his and our back(s).

11:50

Rand just relinquished the floor.

Midnight mission accomplished?

If he keeps talking past midnight, he will delay McConnell from filing a cloture motion on legislation to address the impending Patriot Act lapse, pushing those votes into Saturday or beyond.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...23d_story.html
    Last edited by presence; 05-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was hoping for more media coverage today. Hopefully tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by logikal View Post
    I was hoping for more media coverage today. Hopefully tomorrow?
    I doubt it. Why would it become news tomorrow and not today?

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Rand just relinquished the floor.

Midnight mission accomplished.
    It isn't midnight. See post # 316. so close...
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

So does this mean Rand Paul just defeated the patriot act reauthorization? That is pretty huge if you really really really think about it.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I was hoping for 25 hours. But this will be another one for the books, and i'm sure it will play well on the campaign trail.

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    I am convinced Cruz was planted by the neocons to trick people like you. The guy is an Israel Firster dressed in liberty clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I'm not sure if I necessarily know the specifics, but basically Rand wants to repeal the Patriot Act entirely, Cruz and Lee want to reform it but not repeal it, and people like Rubio and Graham support the Patriot Act as is and even want to expand it.
    The way I understand it people who support the USA Freedom Act state that it eliminates the bulk collection of meta data and the data would be held at the provider (telephone company, internet company, etc). The people against the current language of the USA Freedom Act state that it has a loophole that essentially says the NSA can ask the FISA court for the records for a "Person" but the USA Freedom Act explicitly states that a "Person" can be a Corporation (similar to the ruling on Citizens United). So essentially, the NSA can go to the FISA court and ask for all the records of "Verizon" but they also have to state a place from where I understand it. So they can just say "Florida" or perhaps some city/county/etc. The people against the Freedom Act say that they can still get the same metadata they have been getting they just have to go through a couple more steps and channels to get it. At least that is the way I understand it.
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." - James D. Miles"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm pretty sure Rand knew McConnell or his staff was gone. I guarantee he wouldn't back off 12 minutes early if that wasn't the case.

keep watching...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast