Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Rand Paul filibusters Patriot Act renewal and yields floor after 10.5 hours - Official thread

How long before Cruz filibusters something else in an attempt to keep up with the Paul's?
    I'd give him a couple of weeks...he can't stand not being the center of attention for too long; very jealous of Rand

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Well there is the Russell Senate Building . . . either before - or after - the bums run out of town on holiday.

Senator Mitch McConnell
    361A Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510-1702
    Phone: (202) 224-2541
    Fax: (202) 224-2499
    E-mail: mcconnell.senate.gov/

Maybe we can take the lead from our grandmothers and great-grandmothers ?

Mike Lee coming up on Fox News to discuss Rand's filibuster.

some coverage on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night. not too bad, I expected worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVw-V0Ax_00

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    anyone got a full tally of Senators who showed up to support the effort? I saw Wyden, Manchin, Heinrich, Daines, and Lee... who did I miss?
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Blumenthal and Cruz spoke. I'm also interested in a list.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    some coverage on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night. not too bad, I expected worse.
    It's amazing how coordinated the talking points are from the establishment media. While this panel discussion was a little bit longer and more polite than others, the negative/spin talking points there were the same as on Fox and CNN.

All have some variation of:

1) It wasn't a real filibuster!
    2) It was really a fundraiser.
    3) Ted Cruz helped.

On one Fox segment, they emphasized Ted Cruz, and didn't mention any other Senators, as if it was a Rand/Cruz filibuster.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's amazing how coordinated the talking points are from the establishment media. While this panel discussion was a little bit longer and more polite than others, the negative/spin talking points there were the same as on Fox and CNN.

All have some variation of:

1) It wasn't a real filibuster!
    2) It was really a fundraiser.
    3) Ted Cruz helped.

On one Fox segment, they emphasized Ted Cruz, and didn't mention any other Senators, as if it was a Rand/Cruz filibuster.
    Why would the media want to cover an example of Bipartisan patriotism?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hannity last night. Karl Rove won't shut up about how great the Patriot Act is. Then Raul Labrador comes on for 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1xxU9IV87k

Hannity last night. Karl Rove won't shut up about how great the Patriot Act is. Then Raul Labrador comes on for 2 minutes.
    Pretty much everything Rove talked about could be done with specific warrants and probable cause. Then again, what else would you expect from a serial liar and all around scumbag like Rove?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I have a question...don't shoot me. I'm a huge fan of dumping the Patriot Act..have been against it since the get go but how does Rand plan to win the GOP nomination when most of the GOP supports the Patriot Act...presumedly?

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I have a question...don't shoot me. I'm a huge fan of dumping the Patriot Act..have been against it since the get go but how does Rand plan to win the GOP nomination when most of the GOP supports the Patriot Act...presumedly?
    Rand cited this poll in his speech by the ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...ll_results.pdf

Of the respondents that identified themselves as Republicans, 58% were in favor of modifying the Patriot Act in a way that limits surveillance. Now, that is different from scrapping the whole thing entirely, but I think it shows that many would be open to hearing what Rand has to say. Having said that, it will be important to see how the results change after the media goes into overdrive with propaganda and declaring that we will all be destroyed by terrorists if the Patriot Act expires.
    Last edited by libertyplz; 05-21-2015 at 12:35 PM.

That's a great question, and one I do not have the answer to, other than, he won't.

The rank and file GOP love the warfare/police state just as much as the rank and file democrats love the welfare/handout state.

Well, that's encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    Rand cited this poll in his speech by the ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...ll_results.pdf

Of the respondents that identified themselves as Republicans, 58% were in favor of modifying the Patriot Act in a way that limits surveillance. Now, that is different from scrapping the whole thing entirely, but I think it shows that many would be open to hearing what Rand has to say.

I don't think most of the rank-and-file really care that much about the Patriot Act one way or another; the ones that do care were never going to vote for Rand anyway even if he did a complete neocon about-face. I think things like abortion, immigration, taxes, and national defense are more deal-breaking issues for them.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you Rand!

The filibuster really pumped me up, wasn't expecting it.

Snowden did another AMA today on reddit and there was a top question that was asked about Rand's filibuster last night.

There are also links in the OP to ACLU so people can sign a petition and also automatically be linked to your Senators office. I just got off the phone with Tom at Senator Blunt's office and it was quite easy. He was confused and asked if the Section 215 part was part of the Trade Bill. Not sure if ignorance or planned.

Edit: Also the petition PETITION needs like 2k more sign ups
    Last edited by DonovanJames; 05-21-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Sticking to his guns like this could really pay off in the general election. If he makes it. Big if.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    Sticking to his guns like this could really pay off in the general election. If he makes it. Big if.

He'll make it the same reason he won the Kentucky Senate seat.

Fox News Special Report just did a panel discussion about Rand's filibuster / the Patriot Act. Judge was on and defended Rand, Krauthammer respectfully disagreed.

Fox has been covering the filibuster a fair amount during the day, although the guests they have had on have been pretty negative on what Rand did. Former AG Michael Mukasey trashed Rand pretty hard on Cavuto.
    Last edited by jct74; 05-21-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Fox News Special Report just did a panel discussion about Rand's filibuster / the Patriot Act. Judge was on and defended Rand, Krauthammer respectfully disagreed.

Fox has been covering the filibuster a fair amount during the day, although the guests they have had on have been pretty negative on what Rand did. Former AG Michael Mukasey trashed Rand pretty hard on Cavuto.
    Meh, Fox News viewers side with Rand on this mostly I'm sure. Because Obama is in, its his NSA right now and Rand is standing up to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post

Of the respondents that identified themselves as Republicans, 58% were in favor of modifying the Patriot Act in a way that limits surveillance. Now, that is different from scrapping the whole thing entirely, but I think it shows that many would be open to hearing what Rand has to say. Having said that, it will be important to see how the results change after the media goes into overdrive with propaganda and declaring that we will all be destroyed by terrorists if the Patriot Act expires.
    I engage with local Republicans all the time. These are the people who brought you Thom Tillis. They are no longer very much fans of PATRIOT like they used to be.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    here's the Fox News Special Report panel discussion w/ The Judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oinKjdKZv94

Jan2017

"Because of Rand Paul taking up the time . . ." (in essence, to actually chide them to debate the NSA Surveillance reauthorization)
    ". . . there is now a scramble. "

that is a b.s. spin that Faux News propagates . . . LOL bring your snowball/sno-cone-shave ice making machines to Ames for August 8.

Its Friday, last day before memorial day weekend for the Senate, have they attempted to move forward with passing USA freedom act?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Its Friday, last day before memorial day weekend for the Senate, have they attempted to move forward with passing USA freedom act?
    Senate is voting on TPP/TPA stuff right now and Senate agenda says that started at 9:30am. Doesn't appear they've visited the USA Freedom Act yet today.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213