Thread: New Bill Would Allow New Jersey Drivers to Pump Own Gas

New Bill Would Allow New Jersey Drivers to Pump Own Gas

Drivers in New Jersey could soon pump their own gas under a bill being introduced in the Assembly.

Under current law residents are not permitted to pump their own gas. New Jersey and Oregon are the only two states that require attendants to pump gas.

Republican Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon said Saturday the bill would authorize drivers to fuel cars themselves. The bill calls for a three-year period where merchants can offer self-service gas but must also provide full service. A similar measure has been introduced in the Senate. O'Scanlon says his bill would be introduced in June.

O'Scanlon calls the current law unnecessary and says it can lead to inconvenient waits at the pump. Supporters of the current law say it promotes safety, but O'Scanlon questions whether 48 other states are less safe for letting motorists pump gas.

"New Jersey is the greatest state in the country," O'Scanlon said. "We have plenty of things to be proud of. I'm not going to lament this outdated government regulation."

New Jersey's gas-pumping mandate reaches back to the 1949 Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, which requires trained attendants to pump gasoline.

That act found that prohibiting self-service stations promotes "the common welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general."

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...#ixzz3aVVgKQ1T
    Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a brave new world.

/.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's a brave new world.
    I hope at the very least they make them take a course in gas-pumping and get certified.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

It's about $#@!ing time!!

I'm perfectly capable of performing this task. There's no need for this law.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    It's about $#@!ing time!!

I'm perfectly capable of performing this task. There's no need for this law.
    You sure about that, Root?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You sure about that, Root?
    I seem to manage ok when in PA, NY or VT. Never tried to put diesel into my car, never drove off with the hose still on the gas tank.

Yeah, I got this

I guess someone must have finally invented gasoline pumps that are idiot proof.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    /.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    guilty! you know they just pop right off?
    Yeah, I saw that happen more than once.

I'm shocked this is an argument.
    How tall are the pumps in New Jersey? Because I've been pumping gas since I was a little kid and I never had trouble reaching them.

But to arguments that self-service gas would discriminate against the elderly and people who cannot reach the pumps
    Can't they have both? Why not let the market decide.

The majority of New Jersey voters — 63 percent — do not want to give up full service.

Drop That Nozzle: New Jersey Remains a Full-Service Island

Last week, prominent legislators in New Jersey filed legislation to do the same — arguing that it might even help the nagging matter of finding money to fix the state’s crumbling roads and bridges, and noting that the gas station owners who pushed for the ban in 1949 now want to reverse it. They also appealed to those with short fuses, suggesting that New Jerseyans would not have to wait as long for gas if they could pump their own.

They got no further than a sport utility vehicle inching toward the Shore for Memorial Day weekend.

The State Senate president and his counterpart in the State Assembly, who are both Democrats, declared that they would never bring either bill to a vote. Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican who proposed self-service stations in 2009, refused even to comment on the proposal. No shrinking violet, the governor has said that he had stopped talking about pump-your-own, because he learned “I get my head handed to me.”

The opposition baffles proponents.

“Nobody can make a sound argument why we should not allow this,” said State Assemblyman Declan J. O’Scanlon Jr., a Republican who is proposing one bill to allow self-service gas. “The only way to win that argument is if you can make a legitimate argument that New Jerseyans are more flammable than other people.”

“They are a little more volatile,” he added. “We consume a lot more greasy boardwalk food and funnel cakes, so maybe we are.”

But to arguments that self-service gas would discriminate against the elderly and people who cannot reach the pumps, Mr. O’Scanlon countered: “Do they have no senior citizens in 48 other states? No short people?”

Lawmakers keeping the ban in place recognize what a 2012 poll showed: The majority of New Jersey voters — 63 percent — do not want to give up full service.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/ny...=1419773522000