Thread: Bernanke Slams Elizabeth Warren's Fed Lending Legislation

Bernanke Slams Elizabeth Warren's Fed Lending Legislation

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Friday decried recently proposed legislation that would limit the U.S. central bank's lending authority during a financial crisis, adding to the recent criticism of the bill's sponsor, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who co-authored the Act, CNBC.com reported on Friday. The Bailout Prevention Act — a bipartisan bill introduced Wednesday — would seek to curb risk-taking by large banks by removing some of the Fed's ability to bail them out. In a blog post, Bernanke contended that the measure would "imprudently limit the Fed's ability to protect the economy" and prevent contagion from a firm’s failure. During the 2007-09 financial crisis — when Bernanke served as Fed chair — the central bank made loans to Bear Stearns and AIG with "reluctance" to prevent further panic, he said. "This lending, all of which was repaid with interest, was essential for stabilizing the financial system and restoring the flow of credit," Bernanke wrote. However, vocal Wall Street critic Sen. Warren contended that the Fed's presence as a safety net could lead large banks to act carelessly.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    oh noes...
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear