Thread: USDA creates new government certification and labeling for GMO-free foods

USDA creates new government certification and labeling for GMO-free foods

It's not mandatory...yet. I don't like the idea of mandatory labels.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Agriculture Department has developed a new government certification and labeling for foods that are free of genetically modified ingredients.

USDA's move comes as some consumer groups push for mandatory labeling of the genetically modified organisms, or GMOs.

The certification is the first of its kind, would be voluntary — and companies would have to pay for it. If approved, the foods would be able to carry a "USDA Process Verified" label along with a claim that they are free of GMOs.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack outlined the new certification in a May 1 letter to USDA employees, saying it was being done at the request of a "leading global company," which he did not identify. A copy of the letter was obtained by The Associated Press.

A USDA spokesman confirmed that Vilsack sent the letter but declined to comment on the certification program. Vilsack said in the letter that the certification "will be announced soon, and other companies are already lining up to take advantage of this service."

Companies can already put their own GMO-free labels on foods, but there are no government labels that only certify a food as GMO-free. Many companies use a private label developed by a nonprofit called the Non-GMO Project. The USDA organic label also certifies that foods are free of genetically modified ingredients, but many non-GMO foods aren't organic.

Vilsack said the USDA certification is being created through the department's Agriculture Marketing Service, which works with interested companies to certify the accuracy of the claims they are making on food packages — think "humanely raised" or "no antibiotics ever." Companies pay the Agricultural Marketing Service to verify a claim, and if approved, they can market the foods with the USDA process verified label.

"Recently, a leading global company asked AMS to help verify that the corn and soybeans it uses in its products are not genetically engineered so that the company could label the products as such," Vilsack wrote in the letter. "AMS worked with the company to develop testing and verification processes to verify the non-GE claim."

Genetically modified foods come from seeds that are originally engineered in laboratories to have certain traits, like resistance to herbicides. The majority of the country's corn and soybean crop is now genetically modified, with much of that going to animal feed. GMO corn and soybeans are also made into popular processed food ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup and soybean oil.

The government says GMOs on the market now are safe so mandatory labels aren't needed. Consumer advocates pushing for mandatory labeling say shoppers still have a right to know what is in their food, arguing that not enough is known about the effects of the technology. They have supported several state efforts to require labeling, with the eventual goal of having a federal mandatory label set by the Food and Drug Administration.

An Associated Press-GfK poll in December showed that two thirds of Americans support the labeling, while fewer said genetically modified ingredients are important in judging whether a food is healthy. Some of the respondents said their support of labeling was more about accountability in the food industry than the safety of GMOs.

Vermont became the first state to require the labeling in 2014, and that law will go into effect next year if it survives a legal challenge from the food industry.

The USDA label is similar to what is proposed in a GOP House bill introduced earlier this year that is designed to block such mandatory GMO labeling efforts around the country. The bill, introduced by Rep. Mike Pompeo, R-Kan., provides for voluntary USDA certification and would override any state laws that require the labeling. The food industry has strongly backed Pompeo's bill, arguing labels would be misleading because GMOs are safe.

Pompeo said USDA's move shows his approach is gathering support.

"I look forward to working with the secretary and with my colleagues in Congress to ensure that we come to the best possible policy to provide families in Kansas and America with clarity at the grocery store affordable and abundant food supply," he said.

Consumer advocates who are pushing for mandatory labeling say the voluntary USDA labels aren't sufficient to help consumers know what is in their food, arguing that labels that are on some foods but not others could just lead to more confusion.

Gary Hirshberg, chairman of the Just Label It campaign and co-founder of the organic yogurt company Stonyfield Farm, said the labels were a small step in the right direction but more is needed.

"Mandatory labeling of GMOs would allow consumers to vote with their dollars and have a say in the type of agriculture they would like to see in this country," Hirshberg said.
    http://www.newser.com/article/a8e970...ree-foods.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tom Vilsack announced...

And if Underwriters' Laboratories started certifying non-GMO foods, then we'd have access to a certification process that we could actually trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Tom Vilsack announced...

And if Underwriters' Laboratories started certifying non-GMO foods, then we'd have access to a certification process that we could actually trust.
    The people clamoring for government labeling are not the sharpest tools in the shed. (Of course, loud bullies never are.) It's a shame that the rest of us have to pay for their ignorance, which also probably just essentially put the free market solution, the Non GMO Project, out of business.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the supposed free market view on the GMO issue. Making it mandatory to label if your food products contain experimental ingredients is a regulation and doesn't prevent you from selling or manufacturing your product.

Sure you might lose sales when people realize what's actually in the food, but if you're getting more sales by hiding where the food comes from, you're criminal. They don't even need to put a big skull that says "DANGEROUS" on it. Instead, for example, "corn" being listed under the ingredients on the back of the product, it could just be "monsanto death grain", "Corn (GMO)", or "Corn*" and on the bottom it says, "*Genetically modified ingredient." A real world example is on some soup cans, they list autolyzed yeast extract*, and the note on the bottom says "Naturally occuring MSG" If GMO food was 100% safe Monsanto wouldn't spend so much money trying to hide the labeling.

Every other ingredient for the most part is listed. I don't see how GMO is a special ingredient that doesn't need to be specified. In my perfect world the fluoride content of the product would be listed too.
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 05-18-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Agriculture Department has developed a new government certification and labeling for foods that are free of genetically modified ingredients.

They're doing the same $#@! they did to organic food.

Rather than make the people that add synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides to food label they're $#@!.... they make the people who DON'T add anything synthetic pay to prove they still do things the old fashioned way.

Now... Rather than make the people who manufacture GMO's label they're $#@!... they'll make everyone else who grows common food pay to prove they don't.
    Last edited by presence; 05-18-2015 at 09:51 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the supposed free market view on the GMO issue. Making it mandatory to label if your food products contain experimental ingredients is a regulation and doesn't prevent you from selling or manufacturing your product..
    GMOs are not ingredients. GMO is a process. There is no good argument for labeling it. At least ingredients can cause allergies in some people. GMO is not even experimental - it has been mainstream since the 70's IIRC. There are no documented health issues associated with the process, so the labeling does nothing except drive the cost of conventional food up. Which is what the organic crowd needs to in order to compete. Their antiquated farming methods should not cost me money, but that's what they want.

Regardless, what constitutional argument is there for giving the government the right to mandate labeling ingredients, processes or anything else food related for that matter, at all?

I think the labeling requirements are all bull$#@! - at least I am consistent.
    Last edited by angelatc; 05-18-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    GMOs are not ingredients. GMO is a process.

Regardless, what constitutional argument is there for giving the government the right to mandate labeling ingredients, processes or anything else food related for that matter, at all?
    I look at it strictly as a fraud issue.

If a bag of GMO corn was being sold with a price and no label, I'd have no issue with it.

If a bag of GMO corn is being sold as "Corn", with no mention of the fact that it has been genetically altered, that to me is fraud.

Its no different than labeling imitation crab meat as "crab" an putting it on shelves.

"corn" has a common meaning which does not include genetic material from other organisms.
    Last edited by presence; 05-18-2015 at 10:20 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I look at it strictly as a fraud issue.

If a bag of GMO corn was being sold with a price and no label, I'd have no issue with it.

If a bag of GMO corn is being sold as "Corn", with no mention of the fact that it has been genetically altered, that to me is fraud.
    Everything we know as corn has been genetically altered, just through a different process.

If you want 19th century foods, then so be it. Buy things labeled "organic" and leave the rest of us alone.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the labeling requirements are all bull$#@! - at least I am consistent.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    If GMO food was 100% safe Monsanto wouldn't spend so much money trying to hide the labeling.

Wow, interesting how some people make up their own definition for GMO to setup their straw-man arguments.... GMOs have only been around since the 1990s. Gene splicing is hardly the same thing as hybridization.

Dr. Robin Bernhoft discusses the "science" behind GMOs (start at 1:38):

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Everything we know as corn has been genetically altered, just through a different process.

If you want 19th century foods, then so be it. Buy things labeled "organic" and leave the rest of us alone.
    This is just becoming another "Do cellphones cause brain tumors?" Debate, where it's denied for decades until they slowly begin to admit, "Yeah, I guess they do. But so what? Everything gives you cancer." I for one don't want to be a guinea pig for GMO's and it doesn't help when people think it should be a secret if a product contains food with genes artificially added into them. There's already been studies linking GMO's to cancer and other effects, of course some of them have been retracted after, I'm assuming, Monsanto threatened to hit them with the giant lawsuit hammer. It's already known eating too much soy can cause infertility, and guess what? The vast majority of soy now is genetically modified. Coincidence? Maybe, but there's too many coincidences with GMO foods to ignore them. Trying to engineer the building blocks of life is a perversion of nature I'm not interested in.

GMOs are not ingredients. GMO is a process.
    I'm guessing you're the same type of person that calls a pregnancy a medical condition.
    Last edited by Warrior_of_Freedom; 05-18-2015 at 10:09 PM.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

The people clamoring for government labeling are not the sharpest tools in the shed. (Of course, loud bullies never are.) It's a shame that the rest of us have to pay for their ignorance, which also probably just essentially put the free market solution, the Non GMO Project, out of business.
    How are people who want an tiny ink smudge on a label that says an ingredient is genetically modified a bully? The real bully is the company doing all this. They infest farmer's fields with GMO crops they then sue them for having and trick farmers into becoming dependent on their product. How can somebody have a patent on life? That's ridiculous. You do know they don't let the farmer's reuse any seeds gained from the crops right? They make them purchase more from Monsanto.

- Edward R. Murrow

Ummmm, is this the label:

-t