Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Graduate and having trouble finding a good job

Recent Graduate and having trouble finding a good job

Hello.

I graduated as an English major about a year ago. I have worked six months at a recycling company as a receptionist/warehouse worker just to get some clerical experience, but the place is shutting down soon. As I look for new jobs, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good entry position for a career path. I am a good writer, but a little rusty and I specialized in publishing, but I can't seem to find an entry level job in that direction.

I'd like to know if anyone has any advice or tips. I'm thinking of looking for some good lectures on youtube to refresh my knowledge if anyone has any links too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot99 View Post
    Hello.

I graduated as an English major about a year ago. I have worked six months at a recycling company as a receptionist/warehouse worker just to get some clerical experience, but the place is shutting down soon. As I look for new jobs, I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good entry position for a career path. I am a good writer, but a little rusty and I specialized in publishing, but I can't seem to find an entry level job in that direction.

I'd like to know if anyone has any advice or tips. I'm thinking of looking for some good lectures on youtube to refresh my knowledge if anyone has any links too.
    I don't know how to break it to you, but you got ripped off. You may have been able to pass your writing courses, but that doesn't make you a good writer. The above plea is rife with mistakes. If I were looking for a writer, you would have already been crossed off the list.

I'm sorry. That's pretty harsh. But it's true.

There are all kinds of entry level writing positions - just try Indeed - but you really need to brush up on your grammar skills. Here's a blog that might be able to steer you in the right direction: http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/08/07/
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I don't know how to break it to you, but you got ripped off. You may have been able to pass your writing courses, but that doesn't make you a good writer. The above plea is rife with mistakes. If I were looking for a writer, you would have already been crossed off the list.

I'm sorry. That's pretty harsh. But it's true.

There are all kinds of entry level writing positions - just try Indeed - but you really need to brush up on your grammar skills. Here's a blog that might be able to steer you in the right direction: http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2014/08/07/
    I think what the Captain is trying to say is you should get your education credits and become an English teacher.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    I think what the Captain is trying to say is you should get your education credits and become an English teacher.
    Lol. Yep.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    Or perhaps he'd be better at Spanish
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Thank you for the advice. What kind of mistakes am I making?

Wherever you apply for a job, go directly to the top to ask for it, and be relentless in asking for it. Get your resume together, and when you are in front of the top guy, act like this is exactly what you want.

Thank you for the advice. What kind of mistakes am I making?
    Your first mistake is looking for a job... welfare is lucrative these days
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hire and fire people on a regular basis. The only people I hire or promote are the ones who bring value to my business and want the position like their life depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Your first mistake is looking for a job... welfare is lucrative these days
    I do have a speech impediment and minor cerebral palsy. That is more than most. :P

I do have a speech impediment and minor cerebral palsy. That is more than most. :P
    Indeed, you'll go far with that kind of attitude!
    - Kim Kardashian

If you are serious, get with a placement agency that deals with those kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I hire and fire people on a regular basis. The only people I hire or promote are the ones who bring value to my business and want the position like their life depends on it.
    Ahem. The OP was looking for advice on how to get a good job.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    If you are serious, get with a placement agency that deals with those kind of things.
    I may, but I do have some pride to lose before I do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Ahem. The OP was looking for advice on how to get a good job.
    lol.... Well, the sales director at my business makes good pay for what they do. In fact, I would take a pay cut in a second and do that job and not have any of the other hassles I have to deal with.

I may, but I do have some pride to lose before I do that.
    Why? It's not an issue of pride. In our up-side down world, companies MUST hire the ones who come through those agencies. That's a guaranteed interview at least, and most likely, a guaranteed job.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    /.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 07:39 AM.

True. I suppose I can do that.

Four years of college and no marketable skills?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Four years of college and no marketable skills?
    He has an English major, so he's pretty good at speaking and writing in English
    - Kim Kardashian

You can get a job as a bottom dweller in a store of some sort and work your way up. I've been working at my dads ice cream shop as "assistant manager" for a few years now and was offered a job at a large chain ice cream store as the store manager paying $33,000 per year plus benefits and room to grow. Its a modest and livable wage (although I chose not to take it). You just need to put your heart and soul into whatever job you take to prove to your superiors that you are capable of more.

Also, having a college education is more than what you learned, it is proof that you are a higher class of citizen and that you are willing to work towards something. Even if your English Major itself doesn't help you find a job, your College Education certainly will.

I suggest finding a regional chain of higher-end stores (not too large, not too small, maybe 10-50 stores) and getting any kind of job there. Then, work your @$$ off and do a great job. The businesses that are medium size can be easy to grow in if you play your cards right (this is what I was told by my dad). They have room to grow, which means YOU have room to grow. If you are starting from nothing, it can't hurt to try.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

People with 20 solid years of expert experience are having trouble getting good jobs too.

Hello.

First mistake you made was getting a rather worthless major. Always aim for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and Legal in college.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

OK reality check. This poor schmuck is lined up for a life of peonage unless he develops a marketable skill that people want to pay for. His situation is much worse than the historical position of a new college graduate, as there are tens of millions of experienced workers desperate for any job who are clogging up the entry-level positions that used to lead to something better.

Step 1 is to divorce the ideas of making money and "doing something with your life"/having a "career" etc. Work time should be focused on making money, full stop - self-actualization can and should be done on one's own time. Approach the problem of making money as a puzzle to be solved, and work out solutions based on your capabilities and the demands of the market.

If you have no capabilities that the market demands, then developing one should be your highest priority if you plan to be economically viable/independent. Let the market guide you: whatever people are willing to pay the most for that you could potentially do, do that.

This poor kid is beyond $#@!ed; like so many of his peers he has been mis-served, misled and misinformed by an "education" system that doesn't provide an education or any serious level of preparation for the real world. Only way that changes is by sustained, focused effort on de-$#@!ing the situation. It will not change by having him grovel for some serf work that won't even pay enough to feed him properly.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    justin amash looking for legislative assistant

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...tive-assistant
    Last edited by Kotin; 05-18-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Sadly, experience often trumps degree. Hang in there.

Try technical writing or go back to school and get your Masters..you could teach but you won't get rich.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    OK reality check. This poor schmuck is lined up for a life of peonage unless he develops a marketable skill that people want to pay for. His situation is much worse than the historical position of a new college graduate, as there are tens of millions of experienced workers desperate for any job who are clogging up the entry-level positions that used to lead to something better.

Step 1 is to divorce the ideas of making money and "doing something with your life"/having a "career" etc. Work time should be focused on making money, full stop - self-actualization can and should be done on one's own time. Approach the problem of making money as a puzzle to be solved, and work out solutions based on your capabilities and the demands of the market.

If you have no capabilities that the market demands, then developing one should be your highest priority if you plan to be economically viable/independent. Let the market guide you: whatever people are willing to pay the most for that you could potentially do, do that.

This poor kid is beyond $#@!ed; like so many of his peers he has been mis-served, misled and misinformed by an "education" system that doesn't provide an education or any serious level of preparation for the real world. Only way that changes is by sustained, focused effort on de-$#@!ing the situation. It will not change by having him grovel for some serf work that won't even pay enough to feed him properly.
    I could look into getting certain certifications any non-med graduate can get. Healthcare is big here and the bureaucracy needs a lot of paper pushers. My brother was smart enough to get a medical science degree and he's having me spam clerical jobs where he works. But he personally believes that certification is overrated. My degree did help me land my first job.

He also suggested I take advantage of my disability to get a job.

I do have skill enough to have gotten a raise within six months if that's worth anything. It was mostly from refusing no opportunity to work overtime. My former boss is a good reference for me.
    Last edited by Paulbot99; 05-18-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Same. I have a dumb degree in Computer Security. The only problem is nobody hires newbies in this field.

I'm now looking for jobs at places like Walmart or with a janitorial contractor. Maybe someday after I get a stable income, I could do computer stuff on the side that may or may not pay off.

I could look into getting certain certifications any non-med graduate can get. Healthcare is big here and the bureaucracy needs a lot of paper pushers. My brother was smart enough to get a medical science degree and he's having me spam clerical jobs where he works. But he personally believes that certification is overrated. My degree did help me land my first job.

He also suggested I take advantage of my disability to get a job.

I do have skill enough to have gotten a raise within six months if that's worth anything. It was mostly from refusing no opportunity to work overtime. My former boss is a good reference for me.
    You're smart enough to listen to reality, that's a huge plus. Don't let this overwhelm you, everybody goes through it at some point. If you can't parlay your education into a paying career react accordingly and get on with it.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast