Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recent Graduate and having trouble finding a good job

Thank you, all. I will keep trying. I have too nucleotide to do a half-added job or take welfare.
    Last edited by Paulbot99; 05-18-2015 at 06:44 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot99 View Post
    Thank you, all. I will keep trying. I have too much pride for welfare or do a half-added job.
    I think you meant "half assed job". At any rate, if you pick the right half assed job that's in a field you're interested in or one you have a natural aptitude for it will most assuredly lead to a full assed job down the line if you're serious.

But yes, yes, yes, screw the welfare. Government dependency is a complete evil.
    "The Patriarch"

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you for the advice. What kind of mistakes am I making?
    Hey, don't let their criticism get to you, good writers are not necessarily good at grammar. It is the topic and the way it is being said that is important. Even the best of writers make mistakes from time to time, that is why editors are needed. With that being said, you might have a tough time getting a writing job because I don't see a big demand for that talent. Don't let that stop you from writing if that is what you really want to do though, you just might want to have a back up career until writing starts to pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I think you meant "half assed job". At any rate, if you pick the right half assed job that's in a field you're interested in or one you have a natural aptitude for it will most assuredly lead to a full assed job down the line if you're serious.

But yes, yes, yes, screw the welfare. Government dependency is a complete evil.
    Sorry, my spell-correct was acting up. And I meant doing the bare minimum at work. Lol.

The two options that come to mind would be (a) go back to school for an MBA or law degree, or (b) accept your english degree as a sunk cost and lesson learned, and get yourself started in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    You can get a job as a bottom dweller in a store of some sort and work your way up. I've been working at my dads ice cream shop as "assistant manager" for a few years now and was offered a job at a large chain ice cream store as the store manager paying $33,000 per year plus benefits and room to grow. Its a modest and livable wage (although I chose not to take it). You just need to put your heart and soul into whatever job you take to prove to your superiors that you are capable of more.

Also, having a college education is more than what you learned, it is proof that you are a higher class of citizen and that you are willing to work towards something. Even if your English Major itself doesn't help you find a job, your College Education certainly will.

I suggest finding a regional chain of higher-end stores (not too large, not too small, maybe 10-50 stores) and getting any kind of job there. Then, work your @$$ off and do a great job. The businesses that are medium size can be easy to grow in if you play your cards right (this is what I was told by my dad). They have room to grow, which means YOU have room to grow. If you are starting from nothing, it can't hurt to try.
    Great advice. I have a buddy who did this at Chipotle in the last few years. Went from minimum wage line cook to regional manager making 75k, in like a 4 year period. All it takes is identifying an opportunity, and then relentlessly applying yourself until you succeed.

I could look into getting certain certifications any non-med graduate can get. Healthcare is big here and the bureaucracy needs a lot of paper pushers. My brother was smart enough to get a medical science degree and he's having me spam clerical jobs where he works. But he personally believes that certification is overrated. My degree did help me land my first job.

He also suggested I take advantage of my disability to get a job.

I do have skill enough to have gotten a raise within six months if that's worth anything. It was mostly from refusing no opportunity to work overtime. My former boss is a good reference for me.
    If you don't mind me asking, what was the rate of pay for OT and was there any chance for advancement within that company?

Hard work shows. Many are impressed with work ethic and dedication. Being able to understand the relative complexities of a given industry is a plus.

Show up early, leave late. Talk to the right people. Ask questions most would not consider. Share concerns on potential excesses in overhead (at the opportune time). Take any project or task happily and take pride in your work- never second rate. Ask questions and soak up any information provided to you. It all makes you more marketable. You are selling your labor in a bastardized and cancerous market. Take what you can get but always look for better. Set goals and work to achieve them.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Great advice. I have a buddy who did this at Chipotle in the last few years. Went from minimum wage line cook to regional manager making 75k, in like a 4 year period. All it takes is identifying an opportunity, and then relentlessly applying yourself until you succeed.
    Agree. Wherever you are, even if you are starting at the bottom, take an interest in all aspects of the business and make sure everyone around you sees the interest you are taking in the business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12