Thread: At what temp do you turn on you AC?

At what temp do you turn on you AC?

I usually start mine when it gets over 82 or 83 degrees. Me and the hub had a debate about it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If humid, ~70.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

In the 90's with high humidity.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Don't have any.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Don't have any.
    Ya me neither.. doesn't make much sense if there's maybe 1-3 days a year it gets above 90, and maybe 5-10 days a year where it gets above 80... but I guess it would be nice to have for about a dozen days or so out of the year.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This Texan doesn't have AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

indoor residential design temp is 72F and 55 RH. at 95F outdoor temp. this is where we set the balance point for heat load calculations.

most people set theirs between 74 and 77 indoor temp. in common practice.

the reason that we call it "air conditioning" is because we both cool the air sensibly, (sensible heat) and we remove humidity. (Latent heat)

my best advice is to not set it up or down past 5 degrees. during the peak of the season. and use a pleated filter.

many people out west have evaporative units, (swamp cooler) I was not talking about one of those.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    This Texan doesn't have AC.
    old farmhouse? or did it quit?..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    old farmhouse? or did it quit?..
    Pretty old. Having 10 ft tall bushes around the house, + trees and breeze really helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Pretty old. Having 10 ft tall bushes around the house, + trees and breeze really helps.
    yes, that is why the ceilings were so high back in the olden days.

Have not used mine yet , I will be pissed off If I have to use it before Independence day

If global warming were true , it may be on , instead , my Dogwoods are in bloom , a month late .....

I like heat and humidity, rarely turn mine on at all.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

72 but I usually don't turn it on until June. Mr Animal turns it on upstairs at night much earlier because it gets too hot for him to sleep.

70 ..mine is on about 9 months of the year. I don't like to be hot.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Completely dependent upon humidity. To me, AC is a whole house dehumidifier. I grew up without AC, and did not have it until I was in my mid 20's. The house I purchased was the first house I'd ever lived in with AC. So I have an appreciation for AC, but I can also go without it.

My wife, on the other hand, is ridiculous, and will run AC whenever she can. My wife would probably die if she was expected to live outside of a climate controlled environment.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    My wife, on the other hand, is ridiculous, and will run AC whenever she can. My wife would probably die if she was expected to live outside of a climate controlled environment.
    Interesting phenomenon, isn't it?

Several years ago, a really weird virus went around town one summer. I got it at work. I got increasingly uncomfortable and unhappy. It was a hot day, and I went outside. Suddenly I felt much, much better. It was like it could only be killed by a fever, but wouldn't let you develop a fever, so your body responded by letting you be comfortable only out in the sauna.

I couldn't stand the air conditioning at work, so I went home, turned off the air, opened the windows to the July heat, and took it easy. The next day it was all over and I was fine. A few days later, I visited my step-niece and discovered that she and her little girls had gotten it too. She was talking about how she employed every blanket in the house, and still couldn't keep the three of them warm.

'It has been 98 degrees all week. Why didn't you turn off the a/c and open the windows?'

Have you ever been looked at like you're a nine foot green alien with three ears and five legs? Why is, if you're cold turn the a/c off a weird suggestion? I just don't get it...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-12-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

If I had central AC I would have it on already. Window AC's are more of a commitment. Need to spend an afternoon installing them all, and then I lose the ability to open the windows for a breeze. So i typically hold off until mid June, regardless of temperature.

The reason why Americans are hooked on AC is simple. Every house faces the street and the architect has made zero attempt to use windows as a source of climate control, ala:

My home faces south. The entire south side is windows. It has ONLY south facing windows and an overhang that only allows direct sun in the winter.

6 months out of the year I get direct sunlight in my home all day long. 6 months I get only indirect light.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The reason why Americans are hooked on AC is simple.
    this is true bro.

it is available. perhaps we need a "war on A/C" ?

80....if it's over 65 and below 80, I'll open all the windows.

I turn it on the day before it gets over 80 at night.
    If I turn it on after it's crazy hot all the time, the coil freezes and then I get nothing.
    THe house is block, so I get the thermal mass effect... and if it gets too hot during the day it might even out at night.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

AC is on permanently even when its cold outside... heat is never on
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I like heat and humidity, rarely turn mine on at all.
    Ya, we know what you like.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

When I lived in AZ I kept the house at 85. Felt like an icebox when I'd come in, especially if I'd been smithing, which I'd do daily in the back if it was under 112*. Above that I got uncomfortable. I have noticed in the past 2-3 years my tolerance for heat is lower.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    I usually start mine when it gets over 82 or 83 degrees. Me and the hub had a debate about it.
    For the first time of the year about 88. After that it usually stays on until the highs get below 80 sometime in September or October. I live in Georgia.