Thread: Verbal Judo for RP

Talking Verbal Judo for RP

GO RP. I think Ron's great. However, here are few debate tips that Harry and others may have lent to RP in a constructive manner discussed by topic:
    Let's have a little fun with this thing:

1. The War:

"Our troops are honorable people and American's are good at heart, but if history teaches us anything, it's that the will of the American people is usually turned into a political boondoggle by politicians ... the Neocon's in Washington have spent a TRILLION dollars, bombed innocent people to save innocent people to destroy the same man they supported militarily just a decade ago, yet can't find one man ... WHERE IS BIN LADEN?

"We are in 130 countries around the world with 700 bases. Why should YOU support a military welfare state for the weathy countries of europe."

"The Neocons claim is that they have been "supporting democracy" around the world in OUR name over the last few decades up to now is laughable. Jean Betrane Airistede, the rise of a sponsored coup in Brazil that led to a 20year, military, dictatorship, the Shaw of Iran, the list is endless. What THEY have been doing is deciding which country is run by the WRONG group of thugs, not spreading democracy."

"The idea of Premtive war is just another Big Government program that will ultimately be decided by Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton, that your children will fight for and your grandchildren will pay for."

"Explain to us how you will reduce taxes and continue the war."

2. The Dollar

"One way I would stop global warming is to go back to a sound money policy. Lately, it appears that the Federal Reserve will continue to increase the money supply until we run out of trees. Then, of course, we will need buy more trees from some other country, but can't afford them."

3. The War on Drugs

"As a medical Dr., I don't know of anyone who has died of smoking Marijuana, but millions of people have died by believing in politians. So why is it that Marijuana is outlawed and politicians are still legal?

4. Anarchy (when told your ideas about reducing government are rediculous)

"What we have now is anarchy. We're in an endless war and threats of more, our dollar is tanking on the world market, we have defcits as far as the eye can see. They have lost the vision for getting us out of this mess, because they didn't read the plan. The Constitution."

Some of these I created, some are from the late, Harry Browne, book Libertarian Soundbites from A-Z. May he RIP.

In the words of the late, great, Goldwater speechwriter, Karl Hess:

"Why reach for the musket when all you need is a custard pie."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Umm kind of a random thread, amusing none the less.

As a medical Dr., I don't know of anyone who has died of smoking Marijuana, but millions of people have died by believing in politicians. So why is it that Marijuana is outlawed and politicians are still legal?
    Never heard that one before, I love it.

I think it would be a good idea to not "speak up" about Marijuana. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense, not the issue that is but talking about it. Remember that there are millions of people in this country who believe some pretty crazy stuff and some of those people think that the War on Drugs is working and that Marijuana is an evil drug that makes girls easy and guys worship the devil. Do a public opinion poll in Seattle about Mary Jane and you get a lot of people who are either/or but do that poll in Utah, Iowa, Kansas, Vermont, Texas, Ohio... basically any state where Bibles are very popular. Ron Paul should consider NOT talking about Marijuana whatsoever if he can help it. It will alienate many voters.

Talk about irony. There's millions of "crazies" in this country and we have to be careful about our verbage because we need their votes to end "crazyness". Isn't that crazy?

I don't disagree that we shouldn't bring it up. It's not a very popular position among Republicans. (How many old Republicans will we get anyway ... most of our votes will be NEW republicans that the BIG TENT GOP doesn't want ... how ironic )However, I felt it a bit of a humorous comeback to take the edge off of such a hated idea by the Christian Right and focus it back on the problem of big government. .

I was comming from that point of view in all of it. Right now, he often is "viraled" if you will by the MSM and Republican Establishment by some of the things he says that are taken out of context. The whole idea of "Judo' here is seperation.

The ones on the stage need to be put in the position of defending in indefensible.
    It's us vs. them, endless war vs. peace, endless government spending and ever increasing taxes vs. someone with vision to reverse this trend. To get people to remeber it, put the others on their heels, and get a good sound bite in the MSM requires humor whenever possible.

On a side note, I thought he had some moments of this in the 4th debate ... "you need intellegient people interpreting the intellegence" ... when the reporters there were laughing at his ideas to reverse the size of government. THAT's what he has to do ... catch the "silver bullet" questions from the media and others in his teeth and gracefully hand it back to them. He made them look a little bit foolish after he got the best of them a couple of times in their attempts.

He needs to slow down, watch his tone, appear confident ... that takes practice in this type of format. Persuasion is an art not necesarily a message.

Being good at that sort of thing takes soundbites, planning, and practice.

That's AKA "Custard Pie".

Quote Originally Posted by HarryBrowneLives View Post
    2. The Dollar

"One way I would stop global warming is to go back to a sound money policy. Lately, it appears that the Federal Reserve will continue to increase the money supply until we run out of trees. Then, of course, we will need buy more trees from some other country, but can't afford them."
    US currency is actually printed on a cotton-linen composition. [read: FactMonster]

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Otherwise, a very humourous and interesting post.