Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Why Isn’t The Right Defending Freddie Gray?

Article: Why Isn’t The Right Defending Freddie Gray?

Great article by Georgia talk radio host Michael Graham.

Watching the Right’s reaction to the Freddie Gray case, I’ve had a horrible nightmare: Aliens from a distant planet—big-government, statist aliens from Planet Obama, perhaps—have snatched millions of American conservatives and replaced them with Progressive pod people.

How else to explain the sudden, sweeping abandonment by my fellow conservatives of that most precious icon of our movement, the Constitution?

The Grey case is a constitutional fiasco. A guy walking down the street approached by the authorities because—literally—he “looked at them?” He’s pursued, frisked, found in the legal possession of a weapon (a pocketknife) and is arrested? No crime? No theoretical charge of a crime?

Then he’s shackled, laid on the floor of a police van on his stomach—unsecured and in violation of police rules—and bounced around the city for hours, while being repeatedly denied requested medical treatment.

The Police Can’t Just Grab People

Freddie Gray was an American citizen who started his day having not committed a crime, and ended the day with fatal injuries sustained while in custody of the government. And Republicans are defending…the government? Who are you, and what have you done with my conservatives?

Real conservatives—my Tea Party friends and limited-government activists—understand that the Constitution is a document of “negative rights.” An officer of the government sees you and decides he wants to search you, or grab you, take your stuff, or even kill you. Can he? For most of the history of mankind, the answer was “Shut up, peon, and get back in your cell!”

Our founders committed a truly revolutionary act when they wrote a Constitution that is a document of “No.” It tells agents of the government, “No, you can’t.” It doesn’t matter if the citizen is a pillar of the community or a punk. He’s still an American, so hands off!

You Don’t Need to Be Good to Get Rights

But why am I having to explain this to the Right? I learned all this from you. You explained to me that gun ownership has nothing to do with the question “do you need a gun?” or “are you a good enough person to be allowed to own a gun?”

We wear “What Part Of ‘Shall Make No Law’ Don’t You Understand?” t-shirts to remind big-government liberals that, whether they like guns or not, we have constitutional rights they can’t touch. You explained to me that the Obama administration’s assault on Tea Party groups—using the Internal Revenue Service; Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the Federal Bureau Investigation, etc. to intimidate activists during an election cycle—was precisely the sort of government thuggery the founders feared. Even though the IRS has the power to audit citizens, laws and institutions must check that power in the name of citizens’ rights.

But now you’re telling me that you support cops who arrested a guy legally in possession of a weapon, and you’re on the side of “Lois Lerner” law enforcement? Who are you people? Whoever you are, you definitely aren’t conservatives.

Alleged “conservatives” making their angry, foamy-mouthed defense of the Baltimore police tell me that what I don’t understand is that Gray is “different.” He’s “different” because he’s a known drug dealer, not a good, upstanding citizen.

To which I reply: Do you think President Obama thinks you “bitter clingers” are good citizens? Do you think he believes opponents of same-sex marriage, or businesses that don’t want to pay for abortions, or skeptics of climate change are good citizens?

Conservatives taught me that the founders understood we needed the Constitution specifically to protect the rights of Americans the government considered “bad.” When conservatives take the position that some citizens are so “bad” that the government should be free to ignore their constitutional rights, they are kicking the door wide open for a Hillary Clinton to use the power of the White House to do just that to Americans she thinks are “bad.”

No real conservative would support such a flawed, unconstitutional view of the relationship between the citizen and the state. Government agents free to kill unarmed Americans—and have the support of conservatives while they do it—is simply unimaginable.

So I’m left with only one possible conclusion: RUN AWAY! THE POD PEOPLE ARE COMING!
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Fallout from the race card being overused by the usual suspects. Empathetic connections are hard to establish when one is constantly being ridiculed as a racist. Secondly, the black community is a non-Republican constituency and when I say 'non', we're talking about 9 out of 10 pulling the lever for democrats, despite the fact that the democratic party keeps exploiting their misery.
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-05-2015 at 10:46 AM.

I miss Graham. He used to host in Massachusetts before he moved to Georgia.

Apart from the fact that the right only gives lip service to the constitution and doesn't really care about it. The reason most on the right stayed away from Freddy Grey's case is because he is more of a sinner than a saint and people generally refrain from rallying around sinner. Had it been a black college pre med student with nothing on his rap sheet, you would have seen conservatives rallying around him.

That is not the case and a lot of people just see a dirt bag taken off the streets and good or bad, they don't want to be involved. This is why you don't want to be an criminal, people generally don't rally for criminals. If you get lost, there won't be volunteer search teams looking for you and if you happen to die, not many people will donate to your memorial fund.

So people, don't be a criminal and don't be a dick to people around you cos the cost far exceeds the reward.

Author sure likes to paint with a broad brush.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Good article... I've wondered the same thing about the reaction on right-libertarian forums like this one. It's like no one gives a $#@! about him because he's black. If this happened to a white conservative in rural america you guys would be going crazy.

I think the huge problem is that Freddie Gray's death is being explicitly used to promote an anti-freedom agenda under the guise of 'institutional racism' concerns. According to the media outlets, it's not just police abuse in this instance, but a lack of acquiescence by the white majority to the poisonous initiatives being pushed by 'big government' oriented special interests. If you remember, the debt ceiling fight took a similar detour as advocates for controlled spending were insinuated to be closet racists. LOL
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.

His main point is that conservatives are supposed to follow the constitution, and aren't.

The answer for why they aren't supporting Freddy Gray is simple: because nobody on the right is a constitutionalist.

Stop appealing to the US Constitution like it's something anyone gives a damn about. They don't.
    It's been demonstrated ad nauseum on this very site that people here calling themselves constitutionalists can't read and process the simple English sentences in the Constitution without transposing ideas that are completely absent from the written words.
    This is ostensibly a site dedicated to a guy who spent a large percentage of his air time actually talking about the constitution.

If the people here can't even be bothered trying to process that document without bringing their unconstitutional pet issues into it, what real hope do other conservatives have?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    His main point is that conservatives are supposed to follow the constitution, and aren't.

The answer for why they aren't supporting Freddy Gray is simple: because nobody on the right is a constitutionalist.

Stop appealing to the US Constitution like it's something anyone gives a damn about. They don't.
    It's been demonstrated ad nauseum on this very site that people here calling themselves constitutionalists can't read and process the simple English sentences in the Constitution without transposing ideas that are completely absent from the written words.
    This is ostensibly a site dedicated to a guy who spent a large percentage of his air time actually talking about the constitution.

If the people here can't even be bothered trying to process that document without bringing their unconstitutional pet issues into it, what real hope do other conservatives have?
    Ron Paul's views are now a minority opinion on RPF. An unwelcomed opinion in many cases.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Great article by Georgia talk radio host Michael Graham.

and the Right should defend a career criminal POS because?????

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

No Constitutional Rights were violated in the Gray case.

Quote Originally Posted by paleocon1 View Post
    You joking? The fourth amendment is the one most clearly violated, but you can make a case for others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    .............. It's like no one gives a $#@! about him because he's black. .......................
    No one cares because he was a thug who really was not mistreated by the cops in any case.

"crimes" like drug dealing? Why is that a crime?

Cops are quite literally career criminals, in essentially every case.

No one cares because he was a thug who really was not mistreated by the cops in any case.
    He was not mistreated? Read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_r...ce_practice%29

This is what the police did to him, after arresting him without any cause. It's disgusting and basically equivalent to torture. The murder charge is every bit deserved and I'm confident a jury will agree.
    Last edited by brandon; 05-05-2015 at 10:05 AM.

The Right usually backs the law and order side of it. Hard to back it up when cops are indicted.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You joking? The fourth amendment is the one most clearly violated, but you can make a case for others as well.
    He was stopped and searched with probable cause and found to have an illegal weapon under local Law which is protected by the 10th Amendment.

He was not mistreated? Read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_r...ce_practice%29

This is what the police did to him, after arresting him without any cause. It's disgusting and basically equivalent to torture.
    Well so you say, but at this point there is no proof that such was the case. Just as likely that his own efforts to create some bruises (for a payday) resulted in his demise.

He was stopped and searched with probable cause and found to have an illegal weapon under local Law which is protected by the 10th Amendment.
    Okay I had a feeling you had absolutely no idea about anything in this case, but now I know for sure. I never understand why people with such little information can have such strong opinions.

The pocket knife was completely legal under all levels of law, and the state DA has stated this multiple times recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    "crimes" like drug dealing? Why is that a crime?

Because the City of Baltimore and the State of Maryland SAY its a crime with the consent of their electorates. BTW drugs were far from this thugs only offenses.

The pocket knife was completely legal under all levels of law,..........................
    turns out it wasn't 'just' a pocket knife. The cops were within bounds to haul him in.

Constitutional rights are not dependent on the content of one's character. You know that? Right? He had the right to a fair and speedy trial.

Well so you say, but at this point there is no proof that such was the case. Just as likely that his own efforts to create some bruises (for a payday) resulted in his demise.
    ok smart guy, what happened in YOUR opinion?...give us your scenario ....in detail.

i'll wait a few hours and check back...

turns out it wasn't 'just' a pocket knife. The cops were within bounds to haul him in.
    ... what? Are you just making $#@! up?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because the City of Baltimore and the State of Maryland SAY its a crime with the consent of their electorates. BTW drugs were far from this thugs only offenses.
    But the state said that The Bundy ranch were breaking the law but conservatives rallied around them anyway. See, its not so much about the law being broken, but whether they support the laws and the person breaking the law. In one case, the laws prevent what most people consider productive business i.e. ranching and on the other hand, the law prevents what most consider unproductive business i.e. selling drugs Btw, he wasn't breaking any laws at the time of his arrest.

i think 'someone' is just being a contrarian, not unlike a 12 year old arguing with mommie...

You should care about the rights of criminals because they are the same rights that you have.

Ideally, we want to have a system that reliably punishes actual criminals, while leaving the non criminals free and alive.

If you cultivate a culture that batters and kills "criminals" before they are tried and convicted, that system becomes less reliable, and more non criminals will be battered and killed.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Shocking news....I know.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/...ace-relations/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A new poll released Monday indicated that Americans believe race relations are at their worst in more than two decades. The CBS News/New York Times poll said 61 percent of Americans characterize race relations in the U.S. as “bad,” including a majority of white and black respondents. The figure is the highest since 1992.

A total of 79 percent of African-Americans believe police are more likely to use deadly force against a black person than against a white person, while 53 percent of whites believe race does not play a role, the survey said.

What's to defend? HE'S DEAD!

Because he was arrested when he had not committed a crime. He was going to be charged with an "illegal" knife, which I find a violation of the 2A. And when the authorities can arrest people without repercussions for abuse of authority, you may be the next person arrested at whim.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast