Thread: London Photographer Embarks on Bitcoin-Only Challenge

London Photographer Embarks on Bitcoin-Only Challenge

http://www.coindesk.com/london-photo...nly-challenge/

Thought she was going to try to live only on bitcoins but instead is only taking clients who will pay here in bitcoins.

London photographer Abby Scarlet has embarked on a six month challenge during which she will only accept work from clients willing to pay her in bitcoin.

Sitting in her colourful studio in a warehouse in North London, Scarlet – who's approximately two weeks into her bitcoin-only endeavour – opened up about her discovery of the digital currency and her personal quest to spread its adoption.

Bitcoin 'head-first'

"I was thrown into bitcoin head-first," said Scarlet.

Anecdotally, Scarlet explained how she shared a house in Brighton – a seaside hotspot in the UK – with a bitcoin miner and a bitcoin enthusiast last year.

"He [the bitcoin miner] had all these machines and I didn't know what they were. I actually turned them off when I got home once because they were making so much noise. He came in and started yelling, asking what I was doing. I didn't realise he was actually mining digital currency."

Though her initial introduction to bitcoin was somewhat humorous, Scarlet now refers to the currency as "mind blowing", noting how it can be used to do good in the world.

What really sold her, however, was the community built around bitcoin.

"I was exposed to all the reddit and sub-reddit forums. Reading how the people in bitcoin were supportive of each other, how some took on voluntary roles without payment as an incentive really caught my attention. I have never been part of such a huge community where everyone wants to help each other."

The photographer reiterated that the bitcoin community had "been amazing, really uplifting" following the announcement of her challenge.

Spreading the word

This is not the first time Scarlet has set out to spread the word about the digital currency.

While living in Brighton, she had helped Flawless Clothing, a local shop, get its first bitcoin ATM.

One could argue that her open-minded approach and her unique way of seeing the world through her camera lens were the driving forces behind her bitcoin challenge.

"I believe that artists see the world slightly different to people who don't practise art. Maybe we see a light in something that nobody else really sees, perhaps with bitcoin its the same."
    More at link.

Question- a bitcoin ATM. A normal ATM dispenses hard currency- usually $20 bills. What does a bitcoin ATM dispense?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ZippyJuan,

You have posted several threads on BitCoin, but I still don't get your opinion of it. You are this forum's most prolific big government advocate, so what do you and your colleagues think of Bitcoin? Couldn't it represent more safety because people would not have to carry around cash? Are you not a big safety advocate? Isn't that one advantage of credit cards? Would that not also apply to Bitcoin?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Arf Arf! Look at the cute little puppy which follows me everywhere! Can I keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Arf Arf! Look at the cute little puppy which follows me everywhere! Can I keep it?

Huh? You have posted articles about BitCoin. Just wondering your opinion on the subject. The phenomenon does not necessarily strike as a rift between progressives and libertarians. You and I, for example, somewhat agree on some immigration issues, but probably for different reasons.

But okay--your thread. Answer or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members