Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow--I just had my vitamin D levels checked and didn't believe the results!!

Wow--I just had my vitamin D levels checked and didn't believe the results!!

They just called me this morning with the results of my blood work. I was at *16* and should be around *40*, which I'm not quite sure what that means, but the doc just put me on 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week for the next 8 weeks before another check up. Man--I'm so glad I had my D levels checked because I was wondering why I was tired all of the time and gaining more weight. Check out this article here. Have your vitamin D levels checked--I can't stress this enough!!!

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/...s-than-obesity

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    They just called me this morning with the results of my blood work. I was at *16* and should be around *40*, which I'm not quite sure what that means, but the doc just put me on 50,000 units of vitamin D once a week for the next 8 weeks before another check up. Man--I'm so glad I had my D levels checked because I was wondering why I was tired all of the time and gaining more weight. Check out this article here. Have your vitamin D levels checked--I can't stress this enough!!!

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/...s-than-obesity
    Yep! Mine were very low too. I had mine checked last spring and they were in the teens - I can't remember the exact number. A few days after starting my D I felt much better.

/.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yep! Mine were very low too. I had mine checked last spring and they were in the teens - I can't remember the exact number. A few days after starting my D I felt much better.
    That's what I was wanting to know is how long before you started feeling better--thanks. I was wondering why I had no energy and was struggling to lose some weight even though I was almost starving myself. Wow--I'm so glad I had that done. I also had them check my thyroid because I haven't been able to lose weight. They said my thyroid was healthy, so I ruled that out--but the D levels are way off and low. I hope this works. Are you still on the supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yeah I tested mine a couple years ago and was just barely above minimum recommended and that was even after having taken 5000mcg/day for years. I'd wager every single person that doesn't work outside and doesn't supplement is low.

Note: if you dont want to go see a doctor to have the test done. you can buy a kit to do at home where you put your blood sample on a card and mail it into a lab for results. That is what we did; I think it ran me less than 50bucks per test.
    How soon before you noticed a difference in how you felt. I'm curious as to how long before I get my energy level back.

That's what I was wanting to know is how long before you started feeling better--thanks. I was wondering why I had no energy and was struggling to lose some weight even though I was almost starving myself. Wow--I'm so glad I had that done. I also had them check my thyroid because I haven't been able to lose weight. They said my thyroid was healthy, so I ruled that out--but the D levels are way off and low. I hope this works. Are you still on the supplement?
    Yep. I take 2000 IU's a day and spend a lot of time in the sun with no sunscreen. I don't burn so it's not a problem. As a matter of fact, I'm already really dark. I had to start gardening in my swimsuit because I was getting farmers tan on my legs and arms.

I can't wait for it start working.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Suzanimal again.

/.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep. I take 2000 IU's a day and spend a lot of time in the sun with no sunscreen. I don't burn so it's not a problem. As a matter of fact, I'm already really dark. I had to start gardening in my swimsuit because I was getting farmers tan on my legs and arms.

I don't use sunscreen either, I just limit my time in the sun to around twenty minutes and then I go inside for a while. Wow--I had no idea this is what my problem was. I have to run to the pharmacy to get the vitamin D the doc called in.

I can't tell you that as I started taken 5000mcg/day years before I got tested. Go out and get some sunlight while you are at it.
    I love sitting in the sun--no problem there. Like I said to Suz--I'm really shocked that my level was that low--no wonder I was feeling like crap and couldn't lose the weight.

If he put you on prescription..just FYI..you can get D3 OTC. I take 5000 iu a day. Mine was critically low at one time.
    It'll take a few weeks. I don't know that it has much to do with weight loss but you should get relief with fatigue and pain.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 04-30-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Make sure it is a good D3 (cholecalciferol). I prefer the liquid drops/spray rather than pill form, because the liquid gets into the system quicker. Also Vitamin D and K work great together. If you want to get the D from the sun it needs to be overhead (12 O'clock high) and sit out in it for about 20 minutes, daily.

http://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-vi...-spray-2-fl-oz

http://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-li...in-d-3-2-fl-oz

Optimum levels of D are 50ng/ml to 80ng/ml.

More info:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...r-cannell.aspx
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/abou...-and-minerals/
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog...on-vitamin-k2/
    https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-...n-bulletproof/
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...195537131.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    If he put you on prescription..just FYI..you can get D3 OTC. I take 5000 iu a day. Mine was critically low at one time.
    It'll take a few weeks. I don't know that it has much to do with weight loss but you should get relief with fatigue and pain.
    I can hardly wait till it kicks in and finally starts working. I knew something was wrong. I'm surprised that they don't automatically test for a D deficiency when they call for labs seeing how important that is.

Ya I have 5,000 IU that I take a couple or few times a week if i can remember, I'm not sure about the whole 50k IU once per week deal, seems like it would be better to take a daily.

I tested my levels after taking the 5,000 IU fairly regularly and was within range, I think I was over 60 barely. (edit: or maybe it was barely over 40... hard to remember the numbers but I seem to recall the medical establishment recommends either 20+ or 40+ and the health community recommends 40+ or 60+ and I was just over what I found the health community was recommending at that time...)
    Last edited by dannno; 04-30-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I feel so dumb around you guys when it comes to health stuff. I have an RN license too! I guess it is good to have smart friends? Or is the medical establishment just a fraud? lol

/.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what I take. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	4094

Quote Originally Posted by Qdog View Post
    I feel so dumb around you guys when it comes to health stuff. I have an RN license too! I guess it is good to have smart friends? Or is the medical establishment just a fraud? lol

Pharmaceutical companies are in business to profit so of course they push stuff off on doctors to sell. I prefer to do my own due diligence.

I can hardly wait till it kicks in and finally starts working. I knew something was wrong. I'm surprised that they don't automatically test for a D deficiency when they call for labs seeing how important that is.

I was having fibromyalgia pain and the bottoms of my feet were hurting when mine was low.

Vitamin D: How Much, And What Are Its Benefits?

By: Orthomolecular News Service

Top Vitamin D Papers of 2011
    Dosage Recommendations and Clinical Applications

by William B. Grant, Ph.D.

(OMNS April 10, 2012) The biggest vitamin D story in 2011 was the report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) [1]. This report was prepared during a two-year process by 14 nutrition experts, with funding from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the National Institutes of Health and Health Canada. The committee reviewed the evidence for beneficial and harmful effects of vitamin D, relying solely on randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of its liking for benefits, and prospective cohort studies for adverse effects. RCTs were considered to have the highest quality, with observational studies of moderate quality and ecological studies of very low quality. However, the case can be made that since solar UVB is the primary source of vitamin D for most people, observational and ecological studies are the most relevant and therefore are of high quality, and in fact, have provided most of the information on the health benefits of vitamin D. However, the committee appeared to have a bias of excluding RCTs on such outcomes as cancer and influenza incidence and effects during pregnancy that were not in line with its eventual recommendations. The only benefit the committee found for vitamin D was for bone health. The committee recommended 600 IU/d vitamin D and a serum 25(OH)D concentration (a precursor to the active form of vitamin D) of 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/l) for those aged 1-70 years, and 800 IU/d for those 71 years or older. One-third of Americans have serum 25(OH)D concentrations below 20 ng/ml. The consensus from a wide variety of studies for the optimal concentration is at least 30 ng/ml and more likely over 40 ng/ml based on observational studies. The committee also noted that some prospective studies found increased risk of some health outcomes for higher serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations. However, such studies are bedeviled by changes in serum 25(OH)D concentration during the follow-up period since only one value from the time of enrollment is used.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I was having fibromyalgia pain and the bottoms of my feet were hurting when mine was low.
    Mine too. Then I went to a medical doctor who told me I had Diabetic neuropathy, even though I wasn't a diabetic. But he said because I have diabetes in my family I was prone to become one. I went to a Naturopath and he told me it was most likely from of Vitamin D deficiency and put me on mega doses for 3 months. After 90 days, it disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Mine too. Then I went to a medical doctor who told me I had Diabetic neuropathy, even though I wasn't a diabetic. But he said because I have diabetes in my family I was prone to become one. I went to a Naturopath and he told me it was most likely from of Vitamin D deficiency and put me on mega doses for 3 months. After 90 days, it disappeared.

Yep...some doctors only know what the AMA tells them. I have no thyroid and I just got a lecture today from my doctor about my insistence on using dessicated thyroid instead of synthetic. I finally just told him to go by my symptoms and not what the Sythroid reps tell him.

Yep...some doctors only know what the AMA tells them. I have no thyroid and I just got a lecture today from my doctor about my insistence on using dessicated thyroid instead of synthetic. I finally just told him to go by my symptoms and not what the Sythroid reps tell him.
    Yeah, I know. Another reason why I do not fill out any family history for them anymore...so they don't have a preconceived notion that since some chronic illnesses are in my family that is why I have _____________. If I wanted someone to ASSume what was wrong with me, I wouldn't have wasted my time and my money. SMH.

Well the really weird thing is that back in March, I ripped a muscle doing nothing more than lifting a full laundry basket of clothes. When this happened last month, I literally heard a big *POP* in my arm! I screamed in pain and dropped the whole basket of clothes on the floor. The doc said that they couldn't/wouldn't do surgery unless I was really young or an athlete, so I was in an arm sling and couldn't even hold a glass of water in that hand on that arm. It's all better now, but that was like hell waiting for that to heal for an entire month of trying to use my other arm and hand to do everything with. My muscles and joints have been screaming at me lately. So I knew something wasn't right. My ankles were bothering me too.

Hopefully--this will resolve some of that--I had no idea that a vitamin D deficiency could cause these kinds of problems. I've tried to avoid grains and dairy too because I read that those aggravate the joints a lot.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well the really weird thing is that back in March, I ripped a muscle doing nothing more than lifting a full laundry basket of clothes. When this happened last month, I literally heard a big *POP* in my arm! I screamed in pain and dropped the whole basket of clothes on the floor. The doc said that they couldn't/wouldn't do surgery unless I was really young or an athlete, so I was in an arm sling and couldn't even hold a glass of water in that hand on that arm. It's all better now, but that was like hell waiting for that to heal for an entire month of trying to use my other arm and hand to do everything with. My muscles and joints have been screaming at me lately. So I knew something wasn't right. My ankles were bothering me too.

Hopefully--this will resolve some of that--I had no idea that a vitamin D deficiency could cause these kinds of problems. I've tried to avoid grains and dairy too because I read that those aggravate the joints a lot.

The D3 should help. Make sure you're getting enough C as well..it will help with cellular repair.

Make sure when you take it; you eat it with something fatty as it is a fat soluble vitamin. Fat people also need to take more of it than thinner people.
    I just got back from the pharmacy and took my first dose with a turkey club and a big glass of water. I hope this works.

The D3 should help. Make sure you're getting enough C as well..it will help with cellular repair.
    How much C? Does a regular daily vitamin have enough or should I take a separate dose of C?

How much C? Does a regular daily vitamin have enough or should I take a separate dose of C?
    I would take extra or just eat oranges. But you would have to eat quite a few. It's water soluble so it's hard to take too much. Multi doesn't have that much. You can take an extra 1000 mg a day and it won't hurt.

I would take extra or just eat oranges. But you would have to eat quite a few. It's water soluble so it's hard to take too much. Multi doesn't have that much. You can take an extra 1000 mg a day and it won't hurt.
    I'll run back to the pharmacy and get a bottle today and start taking that too then, thanks.

Magnesium is also very important, since you are female you are probably taking calcium supplements so it is good to take cal/mag together - magnesium is the mineral your body uses to relax your muscles and magnesium deficiency can lead to lack of energy as well... and testing your blood level for magnesium is useless because your body makes sure your blood has the right level regardless of the amount stored in your cells which is vital for these other functions.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast