Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walker Responds to Cruz: 'I'm Going to Stand With the American Worker'

Walker Responds to Cruz: 'I'm Going to Stand With the American Worker'

Walker Responds to Cruz: 'I'm Going to Stand With the American Worker'

Potential 2016 GOP presidential candidate and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker appeared on "Fox and Friends Weekend" to weigh in on the Clinton Foundation controversy and to respond to pointed comments from Ted Cruz about Walker's immigration policy.
    Walker also weighed in on his recent head-butting with Ted Cruz over immigration and amnesty.

In a recent Washington Examiner interview, Cruz promoted legal immigration and criticized Walker for suggesting that he supported limiting legal immigration if it has a negative impact on the wages of American workers.

"When we talk about what should be the policy on legal immigration, it should be driven by the economic impact. And number one on the list of priorities should be: What is the impact on American workers and American wages?" Walker said.

"If unemployment is high and labor participation is low, why would we want to open the door and flood the market with more workers at a time when our own people here are looking for work?"

Walker said that we are a country of immigrants, but we are also a country of laws. He asserted that we should be looking out for the American worker in everything we do.

"From immigration to tax policy to welfare reform and everything, I’m going to stand with the American worker."
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/2...merican-worker
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah Walker will "stand" with the American worker... for the next 12 months. Then he'll be back to parroting Priebus/Boehner's talking points on immigration, just like he's done for a decade.

In principle, I have some sympathies towards Walker's "professed" position on this issue, though not for the same reasons. However, not only do I doubt the sincerity of Walker's position, I also think that this will be a losing issue for him if he sticks to it, primarily because despite it being better for the GOP to limit the number of potential lefties coming in and potentially getting citizenship for themselves or their children, most GOP voters don't go for this approach, to speak nothing for the corporate people that tend to sway primary elections and bankroll general elections.

Nuance is what carries the day on this issue in Republican primaries, and I'd argue that Rand has the most nuanced one, talking up the idea of upping the quotas of legal immigrants (the David Koch crowd will go for this) and also securing the border (Hannity's people like this stuff). Walker's position sounds identical to Pat Buchanan's, and right or wrong, it did give him problems back in 1996, though it was slanderous accusations of racism (similar to what happened to Ron Paul) that sealed the deal.

Rand could have owned this issue!!

Ted Cruz just let Walker position himself as the more hardline primary base pleasing candidate. Incredible, way to go Cruz.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Ted Cruz just let Walker position himself as the more hardline primary base pleasing candidate. Incredible, way to go Cruz.
    He is as believable as Mittens was. It's amazing people can shift like that and so many people just accept it as gospel.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    He is as believable as Mittens was. It's amazing people can shift like that and so many people just accept it as gospel.
    Yup, but Walker's "past" views were less widely known and publicized than Mitten's were. Kind of like most people don't know Cruz was a lawyer/policy adviser who worked for George W. Bush and John Boehner.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Now I understand why Walker is so high in the polls. Anyone that puts American and Americans first is going to get votes. Israeli firsters may get lots of campaign money, but American firsters will get lots of votes.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    Now I understand why Walker is so high in the polls. Anyone that puts American and Americans first is going to get votes. Israeli firsters may get lots of campaign money, but American firsters will get lots of votes.
    It plays well to a certain primary demographic, and I'd say Walker is fairly well positioned to play a populist angle in certain primary states, but he will open himself up to the same problem that Pat Buchanan ran into, namely "America first = Racism". Jeb Bush will probably play up this angle if somebody else doesn't beat him to it. Now, if I was running Rand Paul's campaign, being the cynical bastard that I am, I'd have Rand sneak something in about it without being too obvious, but in such a way that everybody knows what the insinuation behind it happens to be. Granted, such a ploy could easily backfire by alienating a sizable minority in the GOP paleo-conservative base, but it would be interesting to watch.

I'm with Ted Cruz on this one.

To me it just seems more and more like Walker is someone who just isn't very intelligent. I don't get the idea that he's someone who has any clue at all what he's talking about. Someone like Rubio I disagree with, especially on foreign policy, but he at least seems intelligent. The same goes with Cruz. When I hear Scott Walker speak he just sounds like your typical middle aged white voter at your local restaurant that you talk politics with.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    It plays well to a certain primary demographic, and I'd say Walker is fairly well positioned to play a populist angle in certain primary states, but he will open himself up to the same problem that Pat Buchanan ran into, namely "America first = Racism". Jeb Bush will probably play up this angle if somebody else doesn't beat him to it. Now, if I was running Rand Paul's campaign, being the cynical bastard that I am, I'd have Rand sneak something in about it without being too obvious, but in such a way that everybody knows what the insinuation behind it happens to be. Granted, such a ploy could easily backfire by alienating a sizable minority in the GOP paleo-conservative base, but it would be interesting to watch.

It plays well with the American people. We don't have a shortage of labor in any sector of the economy. If we did wages would be rising. You can't talk about shortages without looking at prices. The price of labor. Wages for the vast majority of Americans have been stagnant. And yes even in Silicon Valley and Austin.

Walker now has the trump card. Cruz , Rand, Rubio etc etc are counting on big money from the cheap labor lobby. Walker will be seen as standing up for working class Americans. The little guy against Big Business and Big Labor. He will be accused of flip flopping, but he's now on the right side. The side of the American people.

Walker has now won two times in a very Blue State. He defeated the public sector unions. He's no dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    It plays well with the American people. We don't have a shortage of labor in any sector of the economy. If we did wages would be rising. You can't talk about shortages without looking at prices. The price of labor. Wages for the vast majority of Americans have been stagnant. And yes even in Silicon Valley and Austin.

Walker now has the trump card. Cruz , Rand, Rubio etc etc are counting on big money from the cheap labor lobby. Walker will be seen as standing up for working class Americans. The little guy against Big Business and Big Labor. He will be accused of flip flopping, but he's now on the right side. The side of the American people.

Walker has now won two times in a very Blue State. He defeated the public sector unions. He's no dummy.
    Really, that's why the American people re-elected Clinton after the whole NAFTA thing and went for Bush Jr.'s kowtowing to the Mexican vote? This "American People" cliche had some degree of meaning back in the 1950s, but the world has changed quite a bit since then, and admittedly for the worst.

I'm not disagreeing with the actual principle behind Walker's assertions (though they are likely for show rather than truly a reflection of what he believes), more with the optics. You can be completely right on something and be branded the worst human being in the world if somebody with pull in the media so wishes, as I'll again refer you to Pat Buchanan, who was completely sincere in his views on immigration.

Furthermore, I agree with you that Walker is no dummy, however, most of the American people are quite dumb and easily fooled by media spin. Furthermore, Wisconsin is not terribly blue, it's more purple actually. They've elected Republican governors fairly regularly, and apart from Russ Feingold, they didn't really get too deep into progressive territory with their federal elections save some urban representatives in the U.S. House.
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 04-26-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Really, that's why the American people re-elected Clinton after the whole NAFTA thing and went for Bush Jr.'s kowtowing to the Mexican vote? This "American People" cliche had some degree of meaning back in the 1950s, but the world has changed quite a bit since then, and admittedly for the worst.

I'm not disagreeing with the actual principle behind Walker's assertions (though they are likely for show rather than truly a reflection of what he believes), more with the optics. You can be completely right on something and be branded the worst human being in the world if somebody with pull in the media so wishes, as I'll again refer you to Pat Buchanan, who was completely sincere in his views on immigration.

Furthermore, I agree with you that Walker is no dummy, however, most of the American people are quite dumb and easily fooled by media spin. Furthermore, Wisconsin is not terribly blue, it's more purple actually. They've elected Republican governors fairly regularly, and apart from Russ Feingold, they didn't really get too deep into progressive territory with their federal elections save some urban representatives in the U.S. House.
    Since Ross Perot in 1992 no serious candidate has run on the issue. Back then it was constructions workers who were being hurt from cheap labor. Today it is people with 4 year degrees in high tech, computer science etc etc. STEM people. HB1 visas. Factor in the chaos at the border and there's a good chance Walker has really gotten hold of an issue that's been flying under the radar for a long time.

The little guy against Big Business and Big Labor. He will be accused of flip flopping, but he's now on the right side. The side of the American people.
    He's on the side of big government and on the opposite side of individual liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'm with Ted Cruz on this one.
    I'm with Ted Cruz and Scott Walker fighting over this one.

Let each of them damage the other a little bit with their own bases. It'll make Rand a more likely second choice for both of them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Since Ross Perot in 1992 no serious candidate has run on the issue. Back then it was constructions workers who were being hurt from cheap labor. Today it is people with 4 year degrees in high tech, computer science etc etc. STEM people. HB1 visas. Factor in the chaos at the border and there's a good chance Walker has really gotten hold of an issue that's been flying under the radar for a long time.
    Again, this is stuff that Pat Buchanan was talking about both in 1996 and in 2000 when he ran as an independent. You may argue that he wasn't a serious candidate, just like you might argue that Tom Tancredo wasn't serious back in 2008, but there have always been people out there taking this position, and they have a harder time now than they did back in the 1990s.

In order for people to behave in the way you suggest when it comes election time, they need to understand what the problem actually is, and those same 4 year schools are where these folks get the idea of "The American Melting Pot" drilled into their heads. Between the media and the school system, most people have been conditioned to eat excrement sandwiches and say "please sir, may I have another". The people who understand this stuff are largely older people fighting to keep their Medicare coverage because they got screwed on their pensions, or have already departed this world. You might point to cynical, depressing people like myself who read up on this stuff, but I guarantee you there is nowhere near enough of people like me to decide these things.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I don't know if he's sincere but that was the right answer.

"If unemployment is high and labor participation is low, why would we want to open the door and flood the market with more workers at a time when our own people here are looking for work?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    He's on the side of big government and on the opposite side of individual liberty.
    He's not a libertarians that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Walker sounds more like he's aiming for unions than the Republican base.

Young republicans are that gullible? This isn't an old person issue. It's a common freaking sense issue if anyone understands how the state operates.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...ration-stance/

He repeated that view Friday after a speech in Cedar Rapids, when Eddie Failor, 24, expressed concern “as a young Republican” that the party must make inroads to new voter blocs, including by supporting a comprehensive overhaul of immigration.

Mr. Walker told Mr. Failor that his top priority would be securing the border. He also said he favored “making sure the legal immigration system is based on making our No. 1 priority to protect American workers and their wages.’’

Alexander Staudt, the treasurer of the University of Iowa College Republicans, also told Mr. Walker in the meet-and-greet line that he was concerned that by talking tough on immigration, Republican candidates would turn off Hispanics.
    Why don't we just move out of our homes and just sign over the deeds to the Hispanics? Let's get it over with.
    Last edited by AuH20; 04-27-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Why don't we just move out of homes and just sign over the deeds to the Hispanics? Let's get it over with.
    "we" vs. "the hispanics"

Not everybody looks at the world that way. And no, it is not common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    "we" vs. "the hispanics"

It has turned into that over time. Americans are generally very generous and kind until these special interests have turned up the heat with racial animus. Hispanic isn't even a valid term but they use it for maximum political potency and intimidation.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Good for Scott Walker. He's speaking my language.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

So Walker is saying that it depends upon the economy. That sounds like a past Presidential candidate...Ron Paul.

What is*your view on legal immigration?

I think it depends on our economy. If we have a healthy economy, I think we could be very generous on work*programs. People come in, fulfill their role and go back*home.

I`m not worried about*legal immigration.*I think we would even have more*if we had a healthy economy.

But in the meantime, we want to stop the illegals. And*that`s why I don`t think our border guards should be*sent to Iraq, like we`ve done. I think we need more*border guards. But to have the money and the personnel,*we have to bring our troops home from Iraq.

Is the*economy healthy enough right now?

No. I don`t think so. I think the economy is going*downhill. People are feeling pinched—in the middle, much*more pinched than the government is willing to admit.*Their*standard of living is going down.*
    http://www.vdare.com/articles/ron-pa...al-sovereignty
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Young republicans are that gullible? This isn't an old person issue. It's a common freaking sense issue if anyone understands how the state operates.

Why don't we just move out of our homes and just sign over the deeds to the Hispanics? Let's get it over with.
    Yep, I'd definitely say they are that gullible. Look who has been winning elections, and most of the so-called non-gullible ones tend to be so primarily because they don't show up to vote. Also, common sense is not a terribly common thing. If you doubt this, talk to the average Romney or Obama supporter from 3 years ago and ask them why they supported them.

"we" vs. "the hispanics"

A substantial chunk of Latin immigrants look at the world that way, particularly in places where they run things like California and several ethnic conclaves in New York. You'll note prominent groups like La Raza and La MEChA, and other Aztlan pride organizations. The fact that you have a few token friends of Latin descent who are probably 3rd or 4th generation Americans and can actually speak English does not reflect the demographic reality of short-term, mass immigration, which tends to Balkanize areas where it occurs.

"we" vs. "the hispanics"

Not everybody looks at the world that way.
    We agreed there. It has nothing to do with a person's racial mix or ethnicity.

It has to do with supply and demand and the desire of our modern elite slavemasters to shamelessly flood the labor market to make every individual worth less.

He's not a libertarians that's for sure.
    Then I guess Cruz is a libertarian if anyone who supports legal immigration is a libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Then I guess Cruz is a libertarian if anyone who supports legal immigration is a libertarian.
    Isn't that one of the most important criteria for "Beltway libertarians"?

We would have to call Jennifer Rubin a libertarian too, as she also attacked Walker for this.

Let's face it, all of the "think tanks" support US borders being opened to expanded immigration. Marxist, progressive, establishment, US Chamber, neoconservative, anarchist, foriegn lobbyists all align. It's only mundane Americans that might disagree, depending upon the economy (and water rationing).

No worries, the Marxists and progs are experts at propaganda and demonization. If Walker keeps this up, they will paint him as the next Hitler, and they will effectively silence any debate on this subject. Ungood thought must be punished.

In principle, I have some sympathies towards Walker's "professed" position on this issue, though not for the same reasons. However, not only do I doubt the sincerity of Walker's position, I also think that this will be a losing issue for him if he sticks to it, primarily because despite it being better for the GOP to limit the number of potential lefties coming in and potentially getting citizenship for themselves or their children, most GOP voters don't go for this approach, to speak nothing for the corporate people that tend to sway primary elections and bankroll general elections.

Nuance is what carries the day on this issue in Republican primaries, and I'd argue that Rand has the most nuanced one, talking up the idea of upping the quotas of legal immigrants (the David Koch crowd will go for this) and also securing the border (Hannity's people like this stuff). Walker's position sounds identical to Pat Buchanan's, and right or wrong, it did give him problems back in 1996, though it was slanderous accusations of racism (similar to what happened to Ron Paul) that sealed the deal.
    What Walker said in the video I agree with. I am a Pat Buchanan paleoconservative-ish person. I do not; however, trust that Walker is doing anything more than pandering. I have given up on the idea that anyone cares about border security and that anyone would really do anything to change the situation except open the borders further. "Racism" has now become the Unforgivable Sin of American politics and any candidate serious about border security will be branded with the scarlet "R" and then dismissed.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast