Thread: Helium Balloons

Helium Balloons

I bought a balloon bouquet on Tuesday. Life happened and we didn't make it to the hospital on Tuesday. We are headed to see the intended recipient in a few hours, but the balloons are all half deflated. Does anyone know a way I can get the balloons to look fully inflated again, or am I better off spending my time & money to go get something else?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I bought a balloon bouquet on Tuesday. Life happened and we didn't make it to the hospital on Tuesday. We are headed to see the intended recipient in a few hours, but the balloons are all half deflated. Does anyone know a way I can get the balloons to look fully inflated again, or am I better off spending my time & money to go get something else?
    Unless you have a cylinder of helium laying around I'd say your chances are slim. Congratulations though !
    "I am a bird"

If these are mylar balloons, nothing will work in the long run...it's all about pv=nRt, and n, the number of moles of helium in the balloons, is constantly decreasing through diffusion. The only way to reinflate them would be to increase n by adding more helium (or any other gas for that matter) or t (the temperature of the gas in the balloons), or to decrease p (the surrounding barometric pressure) or v (the volume occupied by the balloons, i.e. make them smaller--that might work with a creatively placed dab of superglue and tightly rolling up the bottom of the balloon).

There are several things that would theoretically reinflate the balloons, but none are practical. If you could lower the barometric pressure of the hospital room, the balloons will inflate. If you could heat the balloons, they would temporarily reinflate. If they are rubber balloons you could carefully untie them and blow in regular air, but then they won't be as buoyant and will probably sink.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Thanks guys! I better get moving and get out to the store.

No Congratulations. My week has been filled with "condolence" and "get well soons". :/

Informative post. I was going to say, use mylar ballons instead of latex and that helium leaks out of latex ballons faster than it leaks out of mylar.
    Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    If these are mylar balloons, nothing will work in the long run...it's all about pv=nRt, and n, the number of moles of helium in the balloons, is constantly decreasing through diffusion. The only way to reinflate them would be to increase n by adding more helium (or any other gas for that matter) or t (the temperature of the gas in the balloons), or to decrease p (the surrounding barometric pressure) or v (the volume occupied by the balloons, i.e. make them smaller--that might work with a creatively placed dab of superglue and tightly rolling up the bottom of the balloon).

There are several things that would theoretically reinflate the balloons, but none are practical. If you could lower the barometric pressure of the hospital room, the balloons will inflate. If you could heat the balloons, they would temporarily reinflate. If they are rubber balloons you could carefully untie them and blow in regular air, but then they won't be as buoyant and will probably sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post

You need to go on a game show.