Thread: Navy moves away from chemical propellents.

Cool Navy moves away from chemical propellents.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/navy...46184-cbs.html

Perhaps this technology will spin off a small arms weapon one day. One that will use a battery to fire a projectile eliminating the need for powder. A revolutionary hand gun that can be fabricated by 3D printing....

Just a thought. I remember when the first computer was the size of a dumpster. The other day, Apple introduced one the size of a wrist watch.
    Last edited by navy-vet; 04-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post

Perhaps this technology will spin off a small arms weapon one day. One that will use a battery to fire a projectile eliminating the need for powder. A revolutionary hand gun that can be fabricated by 3D printing....

Note: How do I edit the title? That "Naval" was supposed to be "Navy".....

Fixed it for you. I think you can edit the title if it's quite soon after it was made otherwise you can't but I'll ask Bryan for clarification
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Fixed it for you. I think you can edit the title if it's quite soon after it was made otherwise you can't but I'll ask Bryan for clarification
    Much appreciated!

That's pretty cool!

I love technology, but the military applications scare the heck out of me. This is defensive, so it's cool. But I was watching a thing today about tiny little robot spiders that could crawl up your leg, bite you and inject a lethal dose of poison, then self destruct. The CIA is all about those.

Seems cowardly. If you're going to kill someone, you should at least have the stones to do it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That's pretty cool!

I love technology, but the military applications scare the heck out of me. This is defensive, so it's cool. But I was watching a thing today about tiny little robot spiders that could crawl up your leg, bite you and inject a lethal dose of poison, then self destruct. The CIA is all about those.

Seems cowardly. If you're going to kill someone, you should at least have the stones to do it in person.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It is cowardly and horrific. Hopefully there will be a way to detect and deter such weapons. Awareness is the first step.

Just a thought. I remember when the first computer was the size of a dumpster. The other day, Apple introduced one the size of a wrist watch.
    Rail guns are in the works w/muzzle velocities in the 20K ft/sec range. That basically makes them plasma weapons because the projectiles are reduced to that state upon impact, as is much of that with which they make their contact. Fast, painless death in most cases.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Rail guns are in the works w/muzzle velocities in the 20K ft/sec range. That basically makes them plasma weapons because the projectiles are reduced to that state upon impact, as is much of that with which they make their contact. Fast, painless death in most cases.
    "20K ft/sec range" I have trouble comprehending that....

And these are just a few of the treasures that they are choosing to reveal to us. One can only imagine what surprises are being worked up in the back rooms. On our dime I might add.

"20K ft/sec range" I have trouble comprehending that....

As well you should. The M-rod hits target in the 33K ft/sec range, based on what I read. It is a gravity-boosted rocket. Fire it into a high trajectory and then it turns sharply downward lights off and accelerates to blinding speed. Once again, a plasma weapon for all practical purposes. I have no idea whether it is or will be deployed, but has over-the-horizon capabilities.

If you watch video of a rail gun, the projectile exits so fast that I assume the air is ionized down the ways because there is a large muzzle flash.

And these are just a few of the treasures that they are choosing to reveal to us. One can only imagine what surprises are being worked up in the back rooms. On our dime I might add.
    If you knew the $#@! I worked on in the desert, you would simply crap in your pants. I can tell you without equivocation that evil exists and that ISIS holds no candle when standing next to it.

Here you go, Railgun:

Last edited by osan; 04-26-2015 at 04:07 PM.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

As well you should. The M-rod hits target in the 33K ft/sec range, based on what I read. It is a gravity-boosted rocket. Fire it into a high trajectory and then it turns sharply downward lights off and accelerates to blinding speed. Once again, a plasma weapon for all practical purposes. I have no idea whether it is or will be deployed, but has over-the-horizon capabilities.

If you watch video of a rail gun, the projectile exits so fast that I assume the air is ionized down the ways because there is a large muzzle flash.

If you knew the $#@! I worked on in the desert, you would simply crap in your pants. I can tell you without equivocation that evil exists and that ISIS holds no candle when standing next to it.

Here you go, Railgun:

It's frightening that there are people who have this kind of power that you speak of...God help us.

It's frightening that there are people who have this kind of power that you speak of...God help us.
    Personally, I say either everyone should have it, or nobody. I might trust the armed forces in themselves, but I categorically distrust those who pull their strings. Likewise, I am uncertain as to what orders our own will follow v. refuse. I want to believe in the best in these people but too much rests at stake to indulge myself in such luxuries.

Personally, I say either everyone should have it, or nobody. I might trust the armed forces in themselves, but I categorically distrust those who pull their strings. Likewise, I am uncertain as to what orders our own will follow v. refuse. I want to believe in the best in these people but too much rests at stake to indulge myself in such luxuries.
    I admire your optimism osan.

I thought the navy's development of the railgun was common knowledge and not secret. Railguns were the fictional weapons used in the movie Eraser. I've watched many Youtubes on homemade railguns, most are slow moving toys, but a fun idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

I've been designing railguns since I was 10 years old. That's 31 years. This really isn't landmark tech.