Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK: Fracking, Earthquakes, and Clusters

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    And another big one.
    Hey, Invisible. I think me and you are the two main ones who even follow this.

Where are you in Oklahoma?

I just posted a thread on the methane leak in CA. But the video summarizes other methane leaks and landslides and earthquakes. Good summary video. Recommend dutchsinse on youtube if you don't already know about him. He does weekly updates.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post

I just posted a thread on the methane leak in CA. But the video summarizes other methane leaks and landslides and earthquakes. Good summary video. Recommend dutchsinse on youtube if you don't already know about him. He does weekly updates.
    Oklahoma City. Edmond is a surburb, pretty much on the opposite side of town from me. This last earthquake would have been centered roughly 15 miles away. The main reason others aren't following the issue is because it is no longer possible for them to deny that the activities of the oil and gas industry are causing this sort of property damage, it is now accepted as fact, even by the most diehard paid industry shills. What makes the issue interesting to follow is to see how the industry will eventually be held (or not held) accountable for the property damage that they are causing, given the state's track record of running interference for the industry. As I said, I don't feel that accountability will be forced on the industry until there is widespread and severe property damage in a moneyed area like Edmond or Bethany. I didn't see pictures of it on any of the articles I've found, so cannot verify this, but I did hear a secondhand report tonight that at least several houses in Edmond have been "reduced to rubble" from this morning's event.

edit: I don't see where you posted about a methane leak, where did you post that? It isn't in the CA section or GP
    Last edited by invisible; 12-29-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

edit: I don't see where you posted about a methane leak, where did you post that? It isn't in the CA section or GP
    It's in open discussion. I embedded link in my last post, though it was after an edit, maybe you missed.

Yeah, I thought it was quite flippant of the Governor to say, "well, we sure do like the taxes" as if joking about corporatism in her state was the proper tone to take with this issue. I hope that shutting them down and property damage fight is all it comes to. OK is right on the edge of the craton. There's more going on geologically than just fracking where you are at.

And people forget just how many pipelines and salt domes and storage facilities are beneath us that any major seismic event could turn an earthquake disaster into a huge environmental disaster. And OK's earthquake rate keeps climbing.

Well, as I have said earlier in this thread, the main problem is that the "correct" solutions of the courts and free market are not working, and the deck has been heavily stacked in favor of the industry. I also agree that this is a huge disaster waiting to happen unless a real solution comes about quickly. As you said, what happens when some pipeline or storage facility goes ka-boom? What happens when one of these tanker trains derails and blows up in a densely populated urban area? When a major city's water supply is permanently poisoned? Or when one of these earthquakes causes widespread loss of life? I'm certainly no tree-hugging environmentalist, but anyone with half a brain can see that one or more of these things will eventually happen sooner or later. All of the above have happened repeatedly on a smaller scale, it is only a matter of time before a damage causing event happens on a major scale.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perhaps this one did do the trick, it looks like there very well could be some significant political pressure starting to be applied now. Interesting to note who both of these State Legislators are, and the difference to their approach. Murphy is a Ron Paul supporter and is from the town next to Edmond, morrisette is a democrat and one of the biggest statists in the entire State Legislature from a district in south OKC.

Note that morrissette just calls blindly for a ban on injection without banning fracking entirely, uses the issue as an excuse to slam the Governor for not dictating an executive order, and says nothing about how the problem of wastewater disposal should be handled. What would we then do with it, genius? Dump it up over the state line in KS somewhere?

Murphy is correctly calling it an issue of responsibility, but to my knowledge, has so far failed to make the conclusion that it is the state's responsibility to ensure that property owners have legal protection from and a means of actual recourse in the event of damage. However, he may have done so, and it simply hasn't been reported, since he has been holding town halls and fielding citizen complaints on the issue.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/okla-la...ter-injections
    An Oklahoma lawmaker has called for a an end to oilfield wastewater injections following a series of earthquakes.

State Rep. Richard Morrissette released a statement Tuesday saying that Governor Mary Fallin should end oilfield wastewater injection into the Arbuckle Formation immediately. The call comes after a 4.3 magnitude earthquake, and many smaller earthquakes, was recorded Tuesday morning in the Edmond-area.

"The governor "has control of the drill bit here," said Morrissette, D-Oklahoma City. "She has the executive authority to order a complete halt to 'produced water' being pumped into any more wells that inject into the Arbuckle formation, not simply a reduction in the amount injected into wells near areas that have previously experienced a quake."

Morrissette also stated that Gov. Fallin's administration's steps to address the disposal well problem have not had "any significant impact".

"Back in March, operators of 347 wells were ordered to reduce injection outputs. In July, another 211 wells were ordered to do the same. Have we seen a reduction in 'quakes? I think today's earthquakes prove my point, and no order to cease operations has come from Fallin's office." Morrissette said.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/oklahom...-edmond-quakes
    Some state lawmakers are speaking up after a series of earthquakes shook Edmond Tuesday. The biggest, a 4.3 magnitude centered in the city, caused some damage at homes, businesses and city buildings.
    Murphy also said it's time the state take more responsibility for stopping the earthquakes by regulating energy companies.

"I think that in the past the legislature has left this matter to the Corporation Commission but the fact that certain energy companies have started to push back against the commission's cut back areas and maybe not comply with it, really starts to move this ball in to the legislative arena where it's likely that there will be more support across the board for legislation this year," he said.
    Murphy questioned whether companies were actually following the voluntary measures.

The Corporation Commission said the activity for the 4.3 quake was just outside the cut back zone
    , and issued this statement on the quake "The Oil and Gas Division staff of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission is working on a response to the latest earthquake activity, and details will be announced as soon as a plan is finalized."

Another 4+ earthquake in Edmond this morning, and the state whitewash agency is supposed to announce their new and improved plan on Monday.

http://newsok.com/regulators-to-take...rticle/5470144
    State regulators plan Monday to detail their response to the recent earthquakes that have struck near Edmond this week, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission said Friday.

Oklahoma rang in the new year with a magnitude 4.2 earthquake centered near Edmond at 5:39 a.m., exactly four days after a magnitude 4.3 tremor shook the area.

Dutchsinse puts a lot of photos from the OK damage on 12/29/15 EQ, at the 1:04 mark in this video. The rest of the video concerns increased west coast activity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEg3qZOW1Cg

I'm glad to read that some people here are taking this seriously. This has rarely been the case in this corner of the web.

And the response of the state's whitewash agency is...
    ...wait for it...
    More of the same! Since this strategy hasn't been working, it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-regulator...rticle/5470545
    The Oklahoma Corporation Commission said Monday it has asked operators of five nearby saltwater disposal wells to reduce volumes after a swarm of earthquakes hit the Edmond area in the past week.
    In all, 14 earthquakes greater than 2.5-magnitude have been reported in the Edmond area in the past week, according to the United States Geological Survey.
    Researchers have linked high-volume disposal of the produced water that comes up with oil and natural gas to the state's ongoing escalation of man-made earthquakes.

The commission said there are five operating Arbuckle disposal wells within 10 miles of the recent Edmond earthquake activity. Disposal wells within 3.5 miles will be directed to reduce disposal volumes 50 percent, while the others are to cut volumes by 25 percent. All Arbuckle disposal wells within 15 miles are expected to test reservoir pressures.
    "We are working with researchers on the entire area of the state involved in the latest seismic activity to plot out where we should go from here," said Tim Baker, director of the commission's Oil and Gas Conservation Division. "We are looking not only at the Edmond area, but the surrounding area as well, including the new seismic activity that has occurred in the Stillwater area."

Three earthquakes greater than 3.0-magnitude were recorded in the Stillwater area on Monday, according to the USGS.

None of the Edmond-area disposal wells targeted by regulators on Monday are operated by SandRidge Energy Inc., which is defying a voluntary directive issued last month to reduce volumes at six disposal wells in Alfalfa County. Commission officials are preparing an administrative case against the company.

Seismologist Daniel McNamara, with the USGS Geologic Hazards Science Center in Golden, Colo., said last week the recent Edmond earthquakes may have revealed a previously unknown fault line. The fault runs northeast at least two miles from near Interstate 35 and Second Street.

McNamara said it was unknown if it could connect to other, larger faults such as the Nemaha Ridge or the Wizetta Fault, the fault involved in the 5.6-magnitude earthquake that hit the Prague area in 2011.

Oklahoma had 881 earthquakes greater than 3.0-magnitude in 2015, according to the OGS. That was up 50 percent from the 585 recorded in that category in 2014.

The state had 29 earthquakes greater than 4.0-magnitude in 2015, up from 14 in 2014, OGS records show.

So far in 2016, there have been eight earthquakes greater than 3.0-magnitude in Oklahoma. according to USGS.
    Last edited by invisible; 01-05-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: correct typo

More earthquakes:

http://newsok.com/4.8-4.3-magnitude-...rticle/5471094
    FAIRVIEW — Two sizable earthquakes were recorded within seconds of one another late Wednesday, with three weaker quakes on their heels.
    The first, at 10:27 p.m., registered at magnitude 4.3, while the second large earthquake was magnitude 4.8 about 30 seconds later, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
    The other three smaller quakes were each recorded at magnitude 3.3 or magnitude 3.4, according to the survey.
    The 4.8 earthquake falls shy of Oklahoma’s largest recorded temblor — a magnitude 5.6 near Prague in 2011 — but ties for fourth largest ever recorded in the state, if verified, according to data from the Oklahoma Geological Survey.
    Wednesday’s magnitude-4.8 quake shares fourth place with two other temblors recorded near Prague on Nov. 5 and Nov. 8, 2011, according to the data.
    The 4.8 quake is the largest to hit the state since 2011. The previous record-holder was a 4.7 that struck near Medford on Nov. 30.
    Here's a few other related stories:

http://newsok.com/earthquake-insuran...rticle/5470728
    Did you know earthquake insurance may not cover masonry and may not go into effect until 10 percent of the cost of your house is affected?
    In today's paper, business reporter Brianna Bailey writes about how more Oklahomans are buying earthquake insurance, however, there are still few claims filed for earthquakes in the state, and insurers don't pay out on most of them.
    "Within the last year or so, yes, we've definitely got more calls after earthquakes, but a lot of times when people find out that the deductibles are high or the coverage doesn't cover masonry damage, they find that maybe it's cost prohibitive," Paine said.
    http://kgou.org/post/oklahoma-oil-re...dated#stream/0
    State officials initially were reluctant to publicly acknowledge the link, which was made in numerous peer-reviewed scientific papers. That changed in 2015.
    The Oklahoma Corporation Commission, the state’s oil and gas regulator, is now more frequently ordering plug-backs and issuing quake-related shutdowns and volume limits at disposal wells, which scientists say are likely fueling most of the earthquake activity in Oklahoma.
    https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...uake-research/
    Meanwhile, the state seismologist, Austin Holland, readily acknowledged that the industry has tried to influence his work — even as he and his colleague, Amberlee Darold, are pelted with “hate e-mail” from quake victims.

“I can’t really talk about it,” Holland said, taking a cigarette break from the dirty work of burying instruments near a cow pasture southwest of Oklahoma City. “I try not to let it affect the research and the science. We’re going to do the right thing.”
    http://kgou.org/post/state-geologica...s-oil-industry
    Despite long-held suspicions that the state’s earthquake surge was linked to oil and gas activity, the Oklahoma Geological Survey stayed silent amid pressure from oil company executives, EnergyWire reports.
    For this and other interviews, State Seismologist Austin Holland acknowledges “intense personal interest” from energy company executives, but told reporter Mike Soraghan it never affected his scientific findings:
    In October 2013, OGS joined the U.S. Geological Survey in issuing a statementabout Oklahoma’s growing earthquake risk and possible links to oil and gas industry disposal wells. A week later, Holland was “summoned” to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission for a meeting with Jack Stark — then a senior vice president of exploration, now president and chief operating officer at Continental Resources — and then-Commissioner Patrice Douglas,
    After the OGS “cautiously” agreed with scientists about links between disposal wells and earthquakes, Holland in November 2013 was called into a meeting with University of Oklahoma President David Boren and oil executives, including Continental Resources Chairman Harold Hamm, “a leading donor to the university.” Boren also serves on Continental’s board of directors, where, in 2013, “he received $272,700 in cash and stock for his service,” Sorgahan reports:
    http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060029814
    SandRidge Energy Inc., the financially troubled oil producer focused on earthquake-prone northern Oklahoma, is defying a state directive to shut down six disposal wells linked to quakes.
    "They are in operation, and we are preparing a case" to formally shut the wells, Matt Skinner, spokesman for the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC), said Friday. Skinner said SandRidge representatives told OCC they would "respectfully decline" to comply.
    Commission officials have also indicated that proving a case might be hindered because there is currently no state seismologist at the Oklahoma Geological Survey (OGS) to explain the science behind the commission's actions.
    "We are very concerned we don't have seismologists we can consult," Skinner said earlier this month. OGS Director Jerry Boak has said he has more staff now than before his two seismologists left. But the agency has not replaced top seismologist Austin Holland
    Scientists have known for decades that injecting wastewater deep underground can lead to earthquakes. Under the right circumstances, the fluid can seep into faults and change the pressure, essentially lubricating them.

More earthquakes:
    Crazy. That kicked off a swarm of 25 2.5+ quakes from 10:30pm last night till 1:30pm today (central time).

SandRidge Energy Inc., the financially troubled oil producer focused on earthquake-prone northern Oklahoma, is defying a state directive to shut down six disposal wells linked to quakes.
    "They are in operation, and we are preparing a case" to formally shut the wells, Matt Skinner, spokesman for the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC), said Friday. Skinner said SandRidge representatives told OCC they would "respectfully decline" to comply.
    Because they know the courts will buy them time at the very least. Sad state of affairs this country is in.

If I was the governor and dealing with these guys, I would declare a state of emergency and just shut the whole operation down UNTIL we figured it out. Get the lazy ass legislators to work, bring these bubble company frackers into court, and get some scientific consensus on what the hell is going on.

We aren't talking about endangering some rare species of caterpillar, for crying out loud. This is the ground you stand on.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another 4.0! 45 minutes ago.

The last 4.0 was at 2:30am. It just doesn't want to settle down.

Because they know the courts will buy them time at the very least. Sad state of affairs this country is in.

If I was the governor and dealing with these guys, I would declare a state of emergency and just shut the whole operation down UNTIL we figured it out. Get the lazy ass legislators to work, bring these bubble company frackers into court, and get some scientific consensus on what the hell is going on.

We aren't talking about endangering some rare species of caterpillar, for crying out loud. This is the ground you stand on.
    There is already a scientific consensus as to what is going on. What to do about it is the question! North central OK has continued to suffer smaller quakes, I don't bother to mention anything smaller than a 4. Are the ones you're talking about up there in KS?

I haven't looked for a link for it yet, but I heard word of mouth today that sandridge has now been de-listed from the New York Stock Exchange because their stock price just fell to under $1 a share. They're about to go under. devon, chesapeake, or one of the other major players will probably buy up all the equipment and hard assets at a rock-bottom price, and no one will likely want to touch their oil fields in the formation they're drilling in.

There is already a scientific consensus as to what is going on. What to do about it is the question! North central OK has continued to suffer smaller quakes, I don't bother to mention anything smaller than a 4. Are the ones you're talking about up there in KS?

I haven't looked for a link for it yet, but I heard word of mouth today that sandridge has now been de-listed from the New York Stock Exchange because their stock price just fell to under $1 a share. They're about to go under. devon, chesapeake, or one of the other major players will probably buy up all the equipment and hard assets at a rock-bottom price, and no one will likely want to touch their oil fields in the formation they're drilling in.
    I'm just commenting on the Fairview swarm.

"We" did feel them in parts of Kansas. Apparently, Wichita has activated there "earthquake response" as after last nights quakes in OK, there were a few water main breaks and people reported cracks in basements, etc.

The worst earthquake I personally felt was when I was in St. Louis. The 4/18/08 Wabash Valley 5.4 quake shook our apartment quite noticeably and that was centered 100 miles away from where I was at. I managed to open the door and look outside just in time to see the bushes stop shaking.

Yup. newsok.com confirms your report of a 4.0 at 1:59pm central time. No story on it, it's just on their ticker in the sidebar, along with a ton of smaller ones. You're right, it's been going pretty steady since Wed. night.

However, here's our wonderful Governor's response:

http://newsok.com/gov.-fallin-addres...rticle/5471160
    Fallin said the Oklahoma Corporation Commission is being encouraged to adjust their policies every time something different is experienced, such as back-to-back earthquakes. Oklahomans felt a 4.7 earthquake followed by a 4.8 earthquake last night. Watch the video above for more.
    Translation: "We don't know what to do, try anything except limiting fracking activity in any way, shape, or form!" This issue may finally be growing legs, especially if Edmond gets hit again with another 4+. There's a video at the link, but I don't have flash so couldn't watch it to remark on anything else that may have been said.

This will be extremely interesting to follow!

http://okcfox.com/news/local/lawsuit...nd-earthquakes
    The lawsuit was filed Monday in Oklahoma County court on behalf of 12 Edmond residents and two Oklahoma City residents. The suit comes after a 4.3 magnitude earthquake was recorded Dec. 29 in Edmond along with a 4.2 magnitude earthquake recorded in the same area Jan. 1.

The suit alleges that 12 oil companies, close in time prior to Dec. 29 ,"with reckless disregard for the consequences to others" injected large volumes of drilling waste in disposal wells located near the cities of Edmond and Oklahoma City. The suit also alleges that the defendants knew or should have known that this would result in an increased likelihood for earthquakes.

Court documents show all of the plaintiffs suffered property damage as a result of the Dec. 29 and Jan. 1 earthquakes. The lawsuit specifically identifies destruction and loss of personal property, cracked and broken interior and exterior walls, bricks and fascia, movement of foundations as well as mental and emotional anguish.

The plaintiffs ask for general damages as well as permanent injunctive relief against the defendants to prevent future harm. The suit also asks for a jury trial in the matter.

More news: more public outcry, more lawsuits. Note that the two different articles describe two different meetings that took place.

http://newsok.com/crowd-fills-house-...rticle/5472977
    Lawsuits and insurance questions took center stage Friday at a town hall meeting at the Capitol over Oklahoma's spike in earthquakes and the links to saltwater disposal wells used in oil and natural gas production.
    Morrissette briefly mentioned several possible solutions, including assessing a per-barrel fee on producers to fund a pot of money for earthquake damages not covered by insurance. He also pulled back on his earlier call for a full moratorium and now favors a partial moratorium on saltwater disposal wells in a 10-county area of central and northern Oklahoma.
    Meanwhile,staff for law firms were taking contact information from people who described earthquake-related damages to their homes.

Fallin spokesman Michael McNutt said “there is no need for the governor to intervene at this time.” He said the Corporation Commission, the Oklahoma Secretary of Energy and Environment and the Coordinating Council on Seismic Activity continue their work on the issue.
    Scott Poynter, an Arkansas attorney who has signed up several Oklahoma clients for induced seismicity lawsuits against oil and gas companies.
    Several attendees wondered why they should have to pay for earthquake policies if the quakes can be linked to oil and gas activities. One resident suggested the industry pick up the tab for earthquake coverage.
    Poynter said he's working on three earthquake lawsuits in Oklahoma and has been hired by the Sierra Club to work on a possible federal lawsuit under the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. The law allows citizen lawsuits over hazardous waste.

He said regulators at the Corporation Commission have dragged their feet on the induced seismicity issue. Poynter, who handled an earthquake case in Arkansas, said the problems in Oklahoma are of a much greater scale. A class-action his firm filed this week in Logan County would cover the entire state, he said.

http://newsok.com/residents-express-...rticle/5472642
    EDMOND — Dozens of concerned residents increasingly worried about growing cracks in their homes, property values and the cumulative effects of earthquakes spoke at a forum Thursday evening, with some calling for a moratorium on the use of saltwater disposal wells from oil and gas drilling.

Rep. Lewis Moore, who organized the town hall at the University of Central Oklahoma, got an earful from constituents not happy about the perceived slow response by lawmakers and other elected officials to the state's spike in seismic activity.

“I've only got small cracks, but I'm scared to death,” Edmond resident Kathy Matthews told Moore. “You are late to the party. There's no lack of conversation. There's a lack of action.”

Other residents wanted to know why Moore voted last year for Senate Bill 809, which limited the ability of local governments to regulate oil and gas operations. The bill also reaffirmed the Oklahoma Corporation Commission as the state's chief energy regulator.
    Moore said he stood behind his vote for SB 809. He said the issues surrounding induced
    seismicity cross multiple local jurisdictions, and the Corporation Commission was the right place to take action.
    “This is not political,” Morrissette said. “When houses shake, there's not a Democrat, Republican or independent house in the state that's not affected. This is an issue that affects all Oklahomans, particularly in the central part of the state. I have had communications with the industry. It's not going to make you feel any better, but your voices are being heard. Because you are from Edmond, your voices are being heard, if you get my drift.”

http://kfor.com/2016/01/17/we-have-n...-quake-damage/
    LOGAN COUNTY,Okla. - Four earthquakes rocked northern Oklahoma since midnight on Sunday, but only one of them above 3.0 magnitude.
    A Logan County resident who is behind a class-action lawsuit against Chesapeake, Devon Energy, New Dominion and Sandridge says she's fed up.
    Lisa Griggs says she just moved back into her home after it was gutted because of earthquake damage.
    Now, she's ready to start a fight against the people she says started it all.
    "There used to be when you came in here, all of these walls were cracked, and the floor here, there was this giant valley," Griggs said.
    "Forty percent of this foundation was separated from its mortar and you can see that right here, see these cracks? That's where the separation was," Griggs says.
    "When the engineer came out, I didn't understand it was this bad. He found over $75,000 worth of damage to the house," Griggs says.
    She was one of the lucky ones to have insurance.
    "I got earthquake insurance early on, a lot of people can't buy it now or can't afford the deductibles," Griggs said.
    She, along with a few others in the area, have filed a class-action lawsuit; the first of its kind in this county.
    They want to hold the people the say are accountable for the damages.
    "The homeowners, we have no power at all and even our legislators are not behind us, there is nobody here," Griggs says.
    The lawsuit alleges the oil companies including Devon and Chesapeake are negligent and continued hazardous activity.

I've felt a few earthquakes in Central Kansas. One of them was very noticeable. It made my bed shake. The weird thing is that they all seem to be happening in the evening or late at night, never during the day. I suppose that's just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I've felt a few earthquakes in Central Kansas. One of them was very noticeable. It made my bed shake. The weird thing is that they all seem to be happening in the evening or late at night, never during the day. I suppose that's just a coincidence.
    Nice to see you rejoin the discussion, welcome back.
    They happen at all hours. You can confirm that by looking at the newsok site that reports a lot of this stuff. Take a look at the sidebar on the "earthquakes" section of the site, it lists every one of them, with when and where they happened. Yes, the stronger ones are being felt well into KS and beyond. Of course, at a distance, you'll only feel the ones that are stronger and / or closer to the state line. You'll also notice daytime earthquakes less when you're more busy going about your day, compared to sitting in your living room or lying in bed in the evening. So did you ever do any of the research about this stuff? What are your thoughts about how this situation is developing here in OK?

A quick set of cliff notes, since you've last posted here:
    More and more earthquakes, and they keep getting stronger
    Governor and state whitewash agency admit the earthquakes are caused by oil and gas activity
    Significant property damage in the wealthy Edmond area that has a lot of political clout
    Pushback from citizens is quickly increasing
    State Legislators realizing that the Governor is allowing the property damage to continue
    Legislative attempts to somehow address the situation will be made in the upcoming session
    Multiple lawsuits filed to hold the industry accountable for property damage

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm starting to think that the earthquakes are becoming more of a significant problem all the time. I've come to the conclusion that it's not inconsistent for libertarians to support government involvement in this issue, at least at the state level, since it involves the destruction of private property. Libertarians believe that one of the limited roles the government should have is to protect private property, and people's homes in Oklahoma and perhaps in Kansas are being damaged by these earthquakes which are being caused by the waste water disposal wells. Something needs to be done about it, although I'm not sure what. At the very least the oil companies should be forced to pay out damages to the people who have had their property damaged by these earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I'm starting to think that the earthquakes are becoming more of a significant problem all the time. I've come to the conclusion that it's not inconsistent for libertarians to support government involvement in this issue, at least at the state level, since it involves the destruction of private property. Libertarians believe that one of the limited roles the government should have is to protect private property, and people's homes in Oklahoma and perhaps in Kansas are being damaged by these earthquakes which are being caused by the waste water disposal wells. Something needs to be done about it, although I'm not sure what. At the very least the oil companies should be forced to pay out damages to the people who have had their property damaged by these earthquakes.
    Exactly. One way or another, people cannot be allowed to cause widespread property damage without being held accountable and the activity stopped. It is government's responsibility to protect private property rights. In the ideal scenario, the courts would be the proper venue for this, but that isn't working. So now the ball is thrown to state governments, and it's being fumbled if not outright dropped.

No story on it yet (will update when it's available), but there was a huge earthquake this morning. Did you guys up in KS feel it? Felt it real good down here in OKC. The newsok.com site is reporting it as a 5.1 at 11:07AM with a 3.9 aftershock 10 minutes later, centered near Fairview (close to Medford, where a lot of this has been going on recently in NW OK). If I'm correct, this would be the biggest earthquake since the one in Prague in 2011 (a 5.6, IIRC). Expect a good amount of property damage from this one.

edit for initial story, surely there will be more to report:
    http://newsok.com/magnitude-5.1-quak...rticle/5478789
    The earthquake is the largest in the state since the 5.6 magnitude near Shawnee in 2011.
    The USGS website shows people as far north as Manhattan, Kansas, and as far south as Wichita Falls, Texas, reported feeling the earthquake.
    Note that the article says Shawnee, but it was actually east of there, near Prague (they are talking about the same earthquake I referred to). Doubtless it was also felt further away, as the one in 2011 was felt all over the midwest, these are only the very first reports coming out. This will be a big news item, as was the 2011 earthquake.

2nd edit: The initial story has been corrected to read "Prague" instead of "Shawnee".
    Last edited by invisible; 02-13-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: updated with initial story

Looks like we may have gotten off lucky, no reports of injury or significant property damage (yet).

http://newsok.com/5.1-and-3.9-magnit...rticle/5478791
    A 5.1 magnitude earthquake shook northwest Oklahoma and was felt in seven other states on Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, the third-largest temblor ever recorded in the state where the power and frequency of earthquakes has dramatically increased in recent years.

The earthquake centered about 17 miles north of Fairview in northwestern Oklahoma occurred at 11:07 a.m. and was reportedly felt across Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas, the USGS said. A second quake measured at 3.9 magnitude struck ten minutes later, followed at 11:41 a.m. by a 2.5 magnitude quake. Both were in the same area of the larger temblor and about 100 miles northwest of Oklahoma City.
    Fairview police and the Major County Sheriff's Office had no reports of injury or significant damage. Sheriff's dispatcher Cheryl Landes said there had been several calls from concerned residents, but no damage more than pictures knocked off shelves and walls.
    Oklahoma's stronger and more frequent earthquakes have been linked to the injection of the briny wastewater left over from oil and gas production underground. Regulators have recommended reducing the volume or shutting down some of the disposal wells. Oil and gas operators in Oklahoma, where the industry is a major economic and political force, have resisted cutting back on their injections of wastewater.
    Gov. Mary Fallin last month approved the use of nearly $1.4 million in state emergency funds for state agencies working to reduce the number of earthquakes linked to the wastewater disposal.
    $1.4 million? WTF! It doesn't cost anything at all to say "No more causing earthquakes or property damage. We don't need fracking to drill for oil here in OK. If you want to drill for oil, do it the old-fashioned way, just like we've always done here." Or, "We don't need fracking to drill for oil here in OK. If you want to use fracking, then post a $100 million bond for each well. Any companies fracking within 50 miles of an earthquake epicenter will be required to pay any damages and medical costs in the event of an earthquake, in proportion to the number of wells that a company owns, and to their distance from the epicenter." Problem solved, at zero cost to the taxpayers. Instead, the Drone Queen is already talking about tax increases to cover the costs of infrastructure repairs that these earthquakes are making increasingly necessary.

Suing the oil companies
    Carthago Delenda Est

Another 4.0! 45 minutes ago.

The last 4.0 was at 2:30am. It just doesn't want to settle down.
    Just putting the rocks where they want to go. Entropy rules!

5.6 west of Tulsa at 7am central time.

Ties Oklahoma's 2011 earthquake record when another 5.6 quake struck. Also a 5.6 nine hours earlier in California around cascadia subduction zone.

That thing actually woke me up today. I live 200 miles away in Topeka. Was shaking my bed and blinds were clanking against wall. Others in town report houses shaking and dishes shifting.

5.6 west of Tulsa at 7am central time.

Ties Oklahoma's 2011 earthquake record when another 5.6 quake struck. Also a 5.6 nine hours earlier in California around cascadia subduction zone.

That thing actually woke me up today. I live 200 miles away in Topeka. Was shaking my bed and blinds were clanking against wall. Others in town report houses shaking and dishes shifting.
    I have family in Edmond. They said it was the longest one they've felt so far.

I felt it in Central Kansas. It was probably tied for the biggest one I've felt.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123