Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Response Ever To How Kids Survived Without Computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    When we were kids, we played down by the creek or playgrounds, out in the yards and rode our bikes all over the place. We had tons of fun when we were kids and we never worried about stalkers--even though they existed then too, but in the burbs then--people were a lot safer than they are today I think.
    My brother and I were allowed to go as far as we could hear our mom's hollerin' to come in for dinner. She'd stand on the back stoop, and bellow our names as loud as she could; if she had to do it twice we were in trouble...
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    My brother and I were allowed to go as far as we could hear our mom's hollerin' to come in for dinner. She'd stand on the back stoop, and bellow our names as loud as she could; if she had to do it twice we were in trouble...
    I ran away from home when I was about 8. Mom even packed a lunch in a bandanna on a hobo stick. Of course I wasn't allowed to cross the streets by myself when I was 8 so I just took a circuitous route around the block back to the house. As she knew I would. When I was 12 I rode my bike everywhere. Well out of earshot. I knew I had to be home at 6pm for dinner if I didn't want an ass whippin'. I'd go miles. Always back by dinner.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    These rants seem weird to me. I feel like I'm kind of in the middle on this being almost 40. We did goof around outside and we did have our Atari 2600 and eventually Nintendo. I don't think we need to be on one extreme end or the other.

There is this weird tendency I see often where the older generation relishes in coming from tougher times and they want to dump on the younger generation for being to soft. Older people even post this $#@! on Facebook which is probably kept running day and night by Young programmers.

I know a lot of young people appear to be spoiled brats, especially ones enabled by misguided parents, but we don't need just as many old people being grumpy curmudgeons generalizing them all. I bet many young people are actually damn brilliant.

I agree-

My grandmother tells stories of how when she was a kid, swing dance was evil and all kids who participated were going to hell. My parents were told that rock was a communist plot.

Many of the kids I work with today are brilliant- the biggest problems I see in their growth is a controlling government and many times extremely dominating parents.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    That is so funny because that's the way kids were called home for dinner back then. My Dad used to whistle standing outside of the front door and we could hear that for good ways off too. Lol If we missed his whistle and the second whistle--no supper at all when we did get there.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I ran away from home when I was about 8. Mom even packed a lunch in a bandanna on a hobo stick. Of course I wasn't allowed to cross the streets by myself when I was 8 so I just took a circuitous route around the block back to the house. As she knew I would. When I was 12 I rode my bike everywhere. Well out of earshot. I knew I had to be home at 6pm for dinner if I didn't want an ass whippin'. I'd go miles. Always back by dinner.
    I remember when I was about 7 I announced to the entire household that was running away. So I packed my little plastic Barbie case with anything I could fit in there and proceeded out the door through the backyard and into the neighboring playground next to our house. I sat there crying for about 5 minutes and all of the sudden my Dad showed up. I'm pretty sure they all watched to see how far I'd go, which wasn't very far. Lol

We were suppose to be home when the street lights came on. If we weren't, the only punishment was listening to my mom bitch. My parents didn't spank or withhold food, they were pretty broken in by the time I came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    We were suppose to be home when the street lights came on. If we weren't, the only punishment was listening to my mom bitch. My parents didn't spank or withhold food, they were pretty broken in by the time I came along.
    They were worn down by the time you came along--Lol. I think the funniest thing my Mom ever did was get a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off my bothers little pee-pee because he peed on my other brother and it wasn't the first time he did that. She had him cornered in the kitchen in a chair and held those scissors up and I can still remember the look of terror on his face when she did. Well--at least he didn't pee on anyone else ever again, so I guess it worked.

I think the funniest thing my Mom ever did was get a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off my bothers little pee-pee because he peed on my other brother and it wasn't the first time he did that. She had him cornered in the kitchen in a chair and held those scissors up and I can still remember the look of terror on his face when she did. Well--at least he didn't pee on anyone else ever again, so I guess it worked.

Holy crap. Scissors?! I probably would've $#@! myself. I about had an accident just reading the post!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Holy crap. Scissors?! I probably would've $#@! myself. I about had an accident just reading the post!
    If you knew how my brother used to be, you'd understand why she had to threaten him. Lol He thought his little member there was a weapon. If he didn't like something or someone, he'd whip it out and pee on them. We used to catch him peeing in the floor registers where the heat came out too. I guess it was some kind of weird form of rebellion. The scissors thing actually worked and my mother was very convincing too.

They were worn down by the time you came along--Lol. I think the funniest thing my Mom ever did was get a pair of scissors and threaten to cut off my bothers little pee-pee because he peed on my other brother and it wasn't the first time he did that. She had him cornered in the kitchen in a chair and held those scissors up and I can still remember the look of terror on his face when she did. Well--at least he didn't pee on anyone else ever again, so I guess it worked.

My mom threw my oldest brother out of the house because he got caught growing weed in the backyard. She didn't really care about the weed as much as she cared about the cops finding it growing in our yard. This wasn't the first time he got caught doing that, btw. So the next day I wake up to my mom yelling in the backyard, looked out my window, and saw my brother and his girlfriend had pitched a tent in our backyard. I remember my mom telling my brother when she told him he had to leave the house she meant the property, lol. He stayed in that tent for a couple of weeks before she eventually put her foot down. He was 18 and had a good job, btw.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

My mom threw my oldest brother out of the house because he got caught growing weed in the backyard. She didn't really care about the weed as much as she cared about the cops finding it growing in our yard. This wasn't the first time he got caught doing that, btw. So the next day I wake up to my mom yelling in the backyard, looked out my window, and saw my brother and his girlfriend had pitched a tent in our backyard. I remember my mom telling my brother when she told him he had to leave the house she meant the property, lol. He stayed in that tent for a couple of weeks before she eventually put her foot down. He was 18 and had a good job, btw.

The hubs brother had some really raunchy friends that were all into the drugs big time. He used to grow pot in the backyard too, LOL. He was always getting in trouble. I'll never forget one time he met this girl that was living in a tent in the woods--LOL--ah-jeez--she was nasty too. His mom had a really nice house and he brought her home and his mom told him to take her outside she was so nasty. Me and the hub were over there visiting when he brought this skank into the house. We were all sitting there in shock and awe-- I asked his brother when I got him alone--just how stoned were you when you met this girl? Lol

Kids have been surviving for how many million years vs. how many years for computers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Kids have been surviving for how many million years vs. how many years for computers?
    About 0.006 million years.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Hi, I think kids will survive without computers like we did before. We just have to disciplined them and concentrate some of their time to sports and other activities to make them busy in a worthwhile manner. Just make them understand not to rely on computers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    These rants seem weird to me. I feel like I'm kind of in the middle on this being almost 40. We did goof around outside and we did have our Atari 2600 and eventually Nintendo. I don't think we need to be on one extreme end or the other.

There is this weird tendency I see often where the older generation relishes in coming from tougher times and they want to dump on the younger generation for being to soft. Older people even post this $#@! on Facebook which is probably kept running day and night by Young programmers.

I know a lot of young people appear to be spoiled brats, especially ones enabled by misguided parents, but we don't need just as many old people being grumpy curmudgeons generalizing them all. I bet many young people are actually damn brilliant.

I agree. I see these "When I was a kid . . ." rants pretty regularly and they are generally a mix of some truth and a bunch of crap.

Computers are FAR better entertainment than the television that dominated from the early 1960's up through the 1990's. TV is totally passive and unilateral. The computer is interactive and bilateral. TV has always been nearly brain-dead while the computer is the greatest repository of human knowledge ever imagined. While there are tons of crap on the internet and many video games are horrible, there is overall more information and more activity on the computer than ever on tv. The computer wins hands down.

I also often note how these old farts always glorify how tyrannical public school was. Do they really think that was a good thing? Force the kids to attend and then brutalize them as much as possible. Beat them into submission so they will submit to authority. Ah, the good old days.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Yeah old people complain, but they made the world we live in today including the school system.

Also, the sad truth is many of the best young people who are really disciplined workers and loyal to a fault go into the military meat grinder. People who could live up to these ideals come back blown to pieces or with mental trauma. Guess who sends them overseas.... the older generation power establishment in D.C..

So my suggestion would be if you want to see more great young people that are role model material in the general population, don't squandered them on the battlefield fighting pointless wars with no end.

It's actually something to really contemplate. All these people who have the will to go through boot camp and all this training. Think of how much good people like this could do at home.

Guess who sends them overseas.... the older generation power establishment in D.C..
    You do realize that we have had an all volunteer military for many decades now,don't you?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    You do realize that we have had an all volunteer military for many decades now,don't you?
    really?

Well yeah... young people enlist to either defend the country or get a break on college. However, I think they get sent to combat for reasons that have nothing to do with defending the homeland.

So maybe I see it as foolishly squandering their good will and volunteerism.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should read the small print.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

I don't know, I guess I was thinking in terms of kids today compared to the kids I grew up with who didn't sit around the house all day playing games on the internet. I don't remember ever seeing as many fat kids then as I do today. Not to mention that when I was growing up, all of the fun was outside--not inside. I just see the pattern today as really unhealthy for kids, especially those with both parents working now trying to maintain a home and two cars and support the entire family.

I mean--we're not talking that long ago before the internet--back in the mid 90's.

We can sit around blaming someone else's generation for the deterioration of morals and values that we have today, but what it all boils down to in my mind is when this country lost their sense of responsibility and accountability for raising their own kids instead of allowing teachers, T.V.s, video games and things to keep the kids busy while they went about their own business--whatever that was/is. We've hot Hillary's village through Obamacare now and there's no turning back at this point.

Parents have basically lost their right to raise their kids as they see fit now and who's to blame for that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12