Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Response Ever To How Kids Survived Without Computers.

Best Response Ever To How Kids Survived Without Computers.

http://owen.tickld.com/x/how-kids-su...ypes=og.shares

This man was asked how he managed to survive back in the day…he responds with this priceless response and how he’d want those days back again.

My mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread butter on bread on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e. Coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or at the beach instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

We all took Phys Ed ..... And risked permanent injury with a pair of PF Flyers instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors that cost as much as a small car. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

We got the paddle for doing something wrong at school, they used to call it discipline yet we all grew up to accept the rules and to honor & respect those older than us. We had 40 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do math and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter.

Staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention we wish we hadn’t got.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or Netflix. We weren't!!

Oh yeah ... And where was the antibiotics and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? Could I have been killed!

We played “King of the Hill” on piles of gravel left on vacant building sites and when we got hurt, mom pulled out the bottle of iodine and then we got our backside spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10 day dose of antibiotics and then mom calls the lawyer to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thought this was priceless because this is how I grew up. When we were kids--we actually played outside, rode bikes or went to the playground to hangout together. There were only three channels on a 19" inch T.V. set with no remote! Lol We actually had to get off the couch, walk over to the T.V. set and change the channel. The fun was outside--not inside sitting in a chair behind computer monitor or T.V.

This is why there's so many kids having health problems today.

Another one:

Nobody I ever heard of would drop dead from eating peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Thought this was priceless because this is how I grew up. When we were kids--we actually played outside, rode bikes or went to the playground to hangout together. There were only three channels on a 19" inch T.V. set with no remote! Lol We actually had to get off the couch, walk over to the T.V. set and change the channel. The fun was outside--not inside sitting in a chair behind computer monitor or T.V.

I was my parents remote control. As well as their lawn care company and car wash.

Normally when something is described as "the best response ever", you expect it to be either deep or humorous. This, on the other hand, is a poorly informed rant.

It doesn't even have anything to do with cell phones, and also mentions only a marginal use of computers.

Now, It's been about a decade since I've been in the school system, but I'm pretty sure that his understanding of how school is today is wrong.

Here are some of the issues

• I'm pretty sure that brown paper bag lunches weren't, and probably still aren't particularly uncommon.
    • I'm pretty sure that phys ed is still required, and that regular tennis shoes are still allowed in most places.
    • I'm pretty sure that they still teach reading, writing, grammar, and even letter writing in elementary school.
    • Unless the guy is really really old, I'm pretty sure that he had TV. I also suspect that he was able to play board and card games, and possibly even Role playing games like D&D.
    • I'm pretty sure that king of the hill and other dangerous games such as Red Rover, and "Smear the *****" still exist.
    • I'm also pretty sure that common cuts and scrapes don't involve a trip to the emergency room, however some people might forgo the iodine in favor of this newfangled chemical called "water"
    • Although I'm only mildly sure that first aid kits existed back then, I'm pretty sure that people get a bee sting and go without one all the time today.
    • Unless this guy is really crazy old, they also had Penicillin.
    • A lawsuit involving playing king of the hill on a pile of gravel might have happened, but I somehow suspect that there was more too it than just that. If you actually tried to sue someone over your kid getting a minor injury on a gravel pile, then I'm pretty sure that you would lose.
    • I don't really get the "being told you're from a dysfunctional family" bit. Nobody that I knew had been told that either, at least to my knowledge.
    • Most people don't go to group therapy or anger management today even. It's not super uncommon, but I'd wager that less than 50% I.E. most.
    • If we take what he's saying at face value and assume that he grew up in a time before antibiotics, then the mortality rate from disease from that time was much higher than it is today.

This guy seems so out of touch with reality that it appears as though is outlook on today world comes through a medium that selects the most shocking and most sensationalized stories around.

I think that he's the one who only observes the world across an electronic screen.

So yeah, If we only leave the parts of his rant that have merit, then it looks like this

Q: How did you live without cell phones and computers
    A: Well, we had Corporal punishment in school, and we didn't have video games. We had other forms of entertainment.
    Last edited by Sam I am; 04-22-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    I'm pretty sure that king of the hill and other dangerous games such as Red Rover, and "Smear the *****" still exist.
    They do not.

I started going wherever I damned well pleased at age 2.
    Today, children under the age of 9 are quickly identified, forced into a car, driven far away from where they were found...
    ...and either given to a different family, or delivered back to their parents with a summons.

Kids that make it out of the house are supervised, because there is a professional group of kidnappers waiting for them.

And any group with a 40% parent-to-child ratio is not going to involve such games.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    They do not.

Today, children under the age of 9 are quickly identified, forced into a car, driven far away from where they were found...
    ...and either given to a different family, or delivered back to their parents with a summons.

Kids that make it out of the house are supervised, because there is a professional group of kidnappers waiting for them.

And any group with a 40% parent-to-child ratio is not going to involve such games.
    Are you sure about that that is a common occurrence and not just something that is so rare that it makes the news when it happens?

Are you sure about that that is a common occurrence and not just something that is so rare that it makes the news when it happens?
    This might be relevant reading, note the OP.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...r-to-arrest-us
    My 7yo and her 6yo friend decided to take a walk to the shopping center through the woods in back of our house.
    A concerned citizen called it in and kept them from leaving.
    They got a ride home in a cruiser.

Now some $#@!ing kid in a uniform is waiting for the Commonwealth Attorney to call him back (apparently he was instructed to PAGE the on-call attorney. Who the $#@! pages anyone in 2014?)

Some older cop was here for a while consoling us with the fact that he may not wish to press charges.
    Both cops agreed that they were never in any danger but gave us significant grief about not knowing the code of Virginia on this matter - apparently at 9 kids are magically able to be out by themselves. Before that they can't be unsupervised, even for a second.

(We've been spending the last hour discussing all the things she can't do for another two years now... going to a different aisle in the grocery to pick something up? UNSUPERVISED. Going over a hillside at the park with a gaggle of other kids? UNSUPERVISED.)

They handed us cards produced by Department of Social Services showing the legal ages for being unsupervised. I pointed out to both cops that this code they think we should know back and forth isn't printed on those cards. I don't think either of them processed what I said.

The good news is that CPS isn't getting involved today. Though we are getting a phone call follow-up. And we're in their system now... both cops pointed out that since this was the first time they're talking to us it should blow over. But what I heard, of course, is that the second time it's not going to go away....

....so young cop just showed up and said the commonwealth attorney wanted to press felony child neglect charges.
    The cop called the magistrate and the magistrate said she wouldn't sign for that.
    So the cop is going to press for misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

We're actually being criminally charged because our daughters chose to go on a walk to a place they've been several times before.

RPF, I am looking for a new state to live in.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These rants seem weird to me. I feel like I'm kind of in the middle on this being almost 40. We did goof around outside and we did have our Atari 2600 and eventually Nintendo. I don't think we need to be on one extreme end or the other.

There is this weird tendency I see often where the older generation relishes in coming from tougher times and they want to dump on the younger generation for being to soft. Older people even post this $#@! on Facebook which is probably kept running day and night by Young programmers.

I know a lot of young people appear to be spoiled brats, especially ones enabled by misguided parents, but we don't need just as many old people being grumpy curmudgeons generalizing them all. I bet many young people are actually damn brilliant.

I sympathize with this even though I'm relatively young by most people's standards. I grew up poor and lived in an old school house in the country. Me and my 5 siblings played outside all the time and we didn't have a computer until I was in my early teens. Those days are gone now and now that I'm in my mid 20s sitting at a computer takes up most of my time because the town I'm in is very small and mostly populated by old, retired people. I know it's not good for me, but I try to stay physically fit and take walks every day, but there's only so much I can do in a place like this. Hopefully it will be better when I move to Beijing in a couple weeks.

I tend to think I'm one of the last generations who played like me and my siblings did out in the countryside, climbing hills and taking long hikes and playing in abandoned buildings.

I did, however, get allergies despite my rough country lifestyle growing up. I had a terrible allergic reaction from playing in the old abandoned hay barn we lived right next to, so at least I know it's possible to get allergies even without a plush, comfy lifestyle, but thankfully, with the help of the internet, I found a way to deal with it effectively and it rarely bothers me anymore.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

They do not.

THAT is what worries me. I would not want to have children in the suburbs these days.

Shut up, Gramps, I can't hear Game of Thrones over all of your ranting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

This is why there's so many kids having health problems today
    Well, the typical American diet/lifestyle plays a part in this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Normally when something is described as "the best response ever", you expect it to be either deep or humorous. This, on the other hand, is a poorly informed rant.
    I would say that your response is poorly informed and you miss the humor of these nostaligisms. Of course, I also know that you're an anti-liberty progressive whose purpose is to make contrary posts on this forum, so that might explain why your critique is the one out of touch.

The guy is not talking about percentages, as if this is some peer reviewed paper. People are saying these items happen more today, or they happen now where they did not exist in the past. I don't see a lot in your posts being accurate.

• Anger management is a mostly new concept and tool, at least formally and bureaucratically. Of course, no one is saying that the majority of people aren't sent there. Your implication is exaggerated.
    • Schools. Many schools don't actually teach cursive because of computers. One school I know basically teaches phonetic spelling and emphasizes spell check quite a bit to pick up non-phonetic words. Again, a matter of degree and emphasis, but still a poor habit and teaching method.
    • Yes, people go to the emergency room for trivial matters probably more than in the past. My wife works in a hospital. People visit because they want a shot of drugs, something to eat, or a bed for the night. Her long time employed co-workers tell her this is more common.
    • Smear the ***** might still be a game, but you can bet kids will be disciplined for using those words.

Etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

We had 40 kids in our class and we all learned to read and write, do math and spell almost all the words needed to write a grammatically correct letter.
    This one in particular strikes me as an exaggeration. My parents grew up on farms during the 40s and early 50s, and I never heard "back in the day" stories about class sizes that ginormous. They used relatively small school houses and buildings back then, and class sizes were roughly the same that they are now or smaller.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    THAT is what worries me. I would not want to have children in the suburbs these days.
    There are ways around the established method of parenting, especially if you're hooked up to homeschool groups.
    I'd like to talk up Ancestral Knowledge, if you're in the DC area...
    http://www.ancestralknowledge.org/

Last session my daughter got to be an object lesson for the whole class in listening to what your elders are patiently telling you about your situation, how to tell for yourself if the ice is too thin to walk on, and what you do if the lower half of you is drenched and it's 40 degrees out, all in one episode.
    That's right... the instructors just let her fall through... and I'm glad they did.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I would say that your response is poorly informed and you miss the humor of these nostaligisms. Of course, I also know that you're an anti-liberty progressive whose purpose is to make contrary posts on this forum, so that might explain why your critique is the one out of touch.

The guy is not talking about percentages, as if this is some peer reviewed paper. People are saying these items happen more today, or they happen now where they did not exist in the past. I don't see a lot in your posts being accurate.

• Anger management is a mostly new concept and tool, at least formally and bureaucratically. Of course, no one is saying that the majority of people aren't sent there. Your implication is exaggerated.
    • Schools. Many schools don't actually teach cursive because of computers. One school I know basically teaches phonetic spelling and emphasizes spell check quite a bit to pick up non-phonetic words. Again, a matter of degree and emphasis, but still a poor habit and teaching method.
    • Yes, people go to the emergency room for trivial matters probably more than in the past. My wife works in a hospital. People visit because they want a shot of drugs, something to eat, or a bed for the night. Her long time employed co-workers tell her this is more common.
    • Smear the ***** might still be a game, but you can bet kids will be disciplined for using those words.

Etc, etc.
    It sure looks to me like he's talking the majority of the country, maybe even the "entire country". Nothing in his tone suggests that he actually meant stuff happening a little bit here and there.

We never needed to get into group therapy and/or anger management classes. We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
    Did I mention that he didn't actually explain how people communicated without cell phones or computers?

I have to wonder about class size. Some classrooms of yesteryear were routinely over 30 students with one teacher. A class could be 40 students today, but now you have several teacher's aides. The difference seems to be that there was usually one person to manage all the kids. Today there are multiple people. My understanding is that classroom management is a larger part of the contemporary school day. I am not a school teacher, so maybe one of the oldsters here who taught would know much better.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

It sure looks to me like he's talking the majority of the country, maybe even the "entire country". Nothing in his tone suggests that he actually meant stuff happening a little bit here and there.
    That was either you saying that or implying that he said it. Really, you're not very good at your gig.

Did I mention that he didn't actually explain how people communicated without cell phones or computers?

That's because it's not the original content. It's abridged content from another site. The person on tickld put in the title about computers and cell phones, but he never said those words.

Anyway, you should abort and take lessons from ZippyJuan. He does this much better than you.

I think some of this is because times have changed, but I think some of it is because life has changed.

Specifically, I want to address the peanut thing. Back when I grew up, most of our food came from within 50 miles of my house. Today, unless you grow it yourself, you have no idea where your food comes from. Back 150 years ago, food allergies were practically unheard of. Everyone ate a locally grown, seasonal diet.

I think easy transportation and storage of food is directly related to the rise of food allergies.
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-23-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Thought this was priceless because this is how I grew up. When we were kids--we actually played outside, rode bikes or went to the playground to hangout together. There were only three channels on a 19" inch T.V. set with no remote! Lol We actually had to get off the couch, walk over to the T.V. set and change the channel.
    The crappy plastic knob would always break, so we kept a pair of pliers nearby to change the channel...I grew up thinking that's why they were called "channel" pliers. Oh....rabbit ears and horizontal hold....remember the TV "flipping"?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This one in particular strikes me as an exaggeration. My parents grew up on farms during the 40s and early 50s, and I never heard "back in the day" stories about class sizes that ginormous. They used relatively small school houses and buildings back then, and class sizes were roughly the same that they are now or smaller.
    I'm 51; my class sizes as a child were between 30-40. One teacher, we all faced forward, we all worked on the same thing at the same time. Grades were posted publicly, competition was viewed as healthy.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    The crappy plastic knob would always break, so we kept a pair of pliers nearby to change the channel...I grew up thinking that's why they were called "channel" pliers. Oh....rabbit ears and horizontal hold....remember the TV "flipping"?
    LOL Yup...also remember adjusting the rabbit ears...

I'm 51; my class sizes as a child were between 30-40. One teacher, we all faced forward, we all worked on the same thing at the same time. Grades were posted publicly, competition was viewed as healthy.
    Where did you go to school? /curious

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Where did you go to school? /curious

Various; Parochial grade school (urban), public elementary (rural), public elementary/middle (urban), parochial HS (urban).
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Another one:

Nobody I ever heard of would drop dead from eating peanuts.
    Ha!! Peanut allergy is one of the biggest most overly exaggerated scams going. We have a medical clinic and most patients who report "peanut allergy" to us have things like itching and rash from eating peanuts. Those who have "deadly" reaction to peanuts are so rare we've never seen one. I'm sure they are out there somewhere but then they KNOW they have extreme reaction to peanuts so they will take EVERY precaution to stay away from them. There's absolutely NO reason to take them off airplanes and out of school lunches, etc.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

There are ways around the established method of parenting, especially if you're hooked up to homeschool groups.
    I'd like to talk up Ancestral Knowledge, if you're in the DC area...
    http://www.ancestralknowledge.org/

Last session my daughter got to be an object lesson for the whole class in listening to what your elders are patiently telling you about your situation, how to tell for yourself if the ice is too thin to walk on, and what you do if the lower half of you is drenched and it's 40 degrees out, all in one episode.
    That's right... the instructors just let her fall through... and I'm glad they did.
    I'll be in the DC area on Monday.

Yep! LOl--now I do remember the plastic channel knob breaking off and having to use pliers too. Don't forget the extra tin foil on the rabbit ears for better reception either.

I'm 59, I remember my class sizes being around twenty to maybe twenty five students in junior high and high school. Those were the days when the principle was actually allowed to use the large long paddle with holes in it on kids too. Lol Nowadays they'd be sued or worse if they tried that on a kid. But I grew up in the burbs too in the sixties and seventies, so life was a lot different then than it is today.

They were great times for me. We never wore bike helmets or had to carry cell phones. We knew what time we were suppose to be home for lunch or supper and if we weren't there--we didn't get to eat afterwards either. Mealtime was strict because there were five of us kids running all over the neighborhood. Times have changed for sure--no doubt about that. Kids just aren't getting out of the house like they used to and that's why we have such a problem with so many fat little kids waddling around now. When we were kids, we played down by the creek or playgrounds, out in the yards and rode our bikes all over the place. We had tons of fun when we were kids and we never worried about stalkers--even though they existed then too, but in the burbs then--people were a lot safer than they are today I think.
    Last edited by Terry1; 04-24-2015 at 08:27 AM.

It doesn't even have anything to do with cell phones, and also mentions only a marginal use of computers.

Now, It's been about a decade since I've been in the school system, but I'm pretty sure that his understanding of how school is today is wrong.

Here are some of the issues

• I'm pretty sure that brown paper bag lunches weren't, and probably still aren't particularly uncommon.
    • I'm pretty sure that phys ed is still required, and that regular tennis shoes are still allowed in most places.
    • I'm pretty sure that they still teach reading, writing, grammar, and even letter writing in elementary school.
    • Unless the guy is really really old, I'm pretty sure that he had TV. I also suspect that he was able to play board and card games, and possibly even Role playing games like D&D.
    • I'm pretty sure that king of the hill and other dangerous games such as Red Rover, and "Smear the *****" still exist.
    • I'm also pretty sure that common cuts and scrapes don't involve a trip to the emergency room, however some people might forgo the iodine in favor of this newfangled chemical called "water"
    • Although I'm only mildly sure that first aid kits existed back then, I'm pretty sure that people get a bee sting and go without one all the time today.
    • Unless this guy is really crazy old, they also had Penicillin.
    • A lawsuit involving playing king of the hill on a pile of gravel might have happened, but I somehow suspect that there was more too it than just that. If you actually tried to sue someone over your kid getting a minor injury on a gravel pile, then I'm pretty sure that you would lose.
    • I don't really get the "being told you're from a dysfunctional family" bit. Nobody that I knew had been told that either, at least to my knowledge.
    • Most people don't go to group therapy or anger management today even. It's not super uncommon, but I'd wager that less than 50% I.E. most.
    • If we take what he's saying at face value and assume that he grew up in a time before antibiotics, then the mortality rate from disease from that time was much higher than it is today.

This guy seems so out of touch with reality that it appears as though is outlook on today world comes through a medium that selects the most shocking and most sensationalized stories around.

I think that he's the one who only observes the world across an electronic screen.

So yeah, If we only leave the parts of his rant that have merit, then it looks like this
    Fact is that those were better days when every single emotion or phase a kid had or went through didn't have some 10 letter clinical diagnosis by a school nurse who was working for a school system in bed with the government and pharmaceutical companies to push a drug called "Ritalin" on kids and other drugs as well using them as guinea pigs. Back in those days they used something far more effective called *good discipline* and *guidance* by both parent and teachers.

This is why the kids are so screwed up today and have no sense of values or responsibility either along with most of them being so fat they can hardly walk. These back-packs kids are wearing today have them so humped over they're having spinal issues before they're out of their teens too. A lot has changed for the worse in this country--obviously.

Fact is that when Mom was able to stay at home while Dad worked, the kids actually had some supervision then and their lives were far more productive with better guidance and discipline too. Nowadays--a lot of Moms have to work if they want what their parents had growing up. Life is a lot harder today than it was for Mom and Dad back in those days. People are having to work a lot harder today if they want two cars and a house in the burbs.

And forget about retirement today--plan on working until you die. You can thank the government for that one too. They had a great time squeezing blood from the taxpayers using their future retirements to support every single worthless slacker and entitlement program to further their agendas.

Another problem as I see it too is that many people are living outside of and way beyond their means loaded with so much debt they'll never be able to have a comfortable retirement. Credit was no as easily obtained in those days either. People worked and paid cash for what they wanted or needed and there was no such thing as kids wearing 100.00 pair of sneakers and designer clothes either. It's absolutely ridiculous today what people *think* they have to have and really don't need at all. Instead of buying kids expensive electronics and clothes--they should be stuffing that into their college funds.
    Last edited by Terry1; 04-24-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast