Thread: One way Rand can appeal to women: child care costs

One way Rand can appeal to women: child care costs

One of the most common complaints I hear women make is that the cost of childcare is ridiculously expensive. I personally am aware of a few mothers who calculated that if they were to head back to work after having a child, daycare costs would eat up 80-90% of the salary.

Daycare is a heavily regulated industry with some pretty pronounced barriers to entry. Perhaps Rand could sell a free market message on this if it comes up in debate. Many websites like huffpost and Salon are calling for universal, public funding for childcare. We can't let these people control the narrative.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or make economic policy that lowers taxes, encourages better wages, and then maybe one parent can stay home with the kidlets.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Men pay childcare too. I'd love to see it become tax deductible. Of course that probably has the unintended consequence of inflating rates.

Completely agree about keeping the gvmt out of childcare at all levels.

Can you imagine how different elections would be if the "go" order were different? Say take 50 pieces of paper and a bowl...

Take a wild guess of the percentage of 18-30yo females that answer yes to the question "would you consider abortion as an option in the case of unintended pregnancy". It clocks in right around 98-99%.

IA, SC, FL as early states = kiss Evangelical ass for snowball effect.
    Kiss Evangelical ass early in the campaign for snowball effect = loose huge voting block if you ever make it to the general, even if you are massively popular on everything else.

Ron Paul was right: reproductive and gun rights are STATE issues! On a national level, they serve to divide and cost elections.

When Ron botched this in 2007, fully a third of our CA meetups evaporated overnight. He had strong support from people that normally voted Dem or Ind before that. We lost Meetups in other parts of the country too.

I support Rand, but I wish he would stop tap dancing and take off the golf shoes.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 04-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Childcare costs really are asinine. I've run the numbers, and it's not even close to being worth it to leave your kid with strangers, expose them to diseases, bullying, and being a part-time parent.

One person in the relationship needs to be the one who pays, the other needs to take care of the household. I've been on both sides, and it's a pretty tough job to do the latter--very little downtime, you're a teacher, a cook, a maid, a groundskeeper--all while trying to keep your kid from running out into the road, drinking cleaning supplies, etc. and nobody takes care of you if you get sick.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Sounds like you are AWESOME! but everything breaks when you get to this point:

and nobody takes care of you if you get sick.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Childcare costs really are asinine. I've run the numbers, and it's not even close to being worth it to leave your kid with strangers, expose them to diseases, bullying, and being a part-time parent.

One person in the relationship needs to be the one who pays, the other needs to take care of the household. I've been on both sides, and it's a pretty tough job to do the latter--very little downtime, you're a teacher, a cook, a maid, a groundskeeper--all while trying to keep your kid from running out into the road, drinking cleaning supplies, etc. and nobody takes care of you if you get sick.
    You have got it easy. There are a lot of single parents out there. Think about how lucky you are.

-t

universal, public funding for childcare

So a single individual with no kids and no plans to have kids will be forced to pay taxes to raise someone else's kids... LOL. I guess there is already a precedent to it since people pay property taxes anyways that goes to schools... even if the property owners dont have any kids at all.

I would want all my resources to go to my biological child. I don't want resources to be siphoned off to help someone else raise their child. I know I might sound heartless or maybe even a statist, but that someone else's child is a potential competition for my child :P... BTW, I am talking about being FORCED to raise or help another child. Forced is the key word.

Or... ironically that someone else's child may develop the cure for my child who might get a rather incurable disease.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    You have got it easy. There are a lot of single parents out there. Think about how lucky you are.

-t
    I am, essentially, a single mother as he's living in another state and has been for a while. But yes, I am lucky. I don't know how women with 4 kids do it. Especially the last couple of days where she's gone on a bender being destructo girl.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Childcare expense are already deductible at the federal level. I support anything that keeps $$$ out of fedgov's pocket, but this isn't something I'd want to subsidize either. We've done both the daycare thing and the stay-at-home thing. No easy answers there.

Maybe if fedgov didn't eat so much of our paychecks, the wife could afford to stay at home? That message won't fly today.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    Childcare expense are already deductible at the federal level. I support anything that keeps $$$ out of fedgov's pocket, but this isn't something I'd want to subsidize either. We've done both the daycare thing and the stay-at-home thing. No easy answers there.

Maybe if fedgov didn't eat so much of our paychecks, the wife could afford to stay at home? That message won't fly today.
    I don't think it is deductible. There's a small credit available but it only scratches the surface of expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    universal, public funding for childcare

So a single individual with no kids and no plans to have kids will be forced to pay taxes to raise someone else's kids... LOL. I guess there is already a precedent to it since people pay property taxes anyways that goes to schools... even if the property owners dont have any kids at all.

I would want all my resources to go to my biological child. I don't want resources to be siphoned off to help someone else raise their child. I know I might sound heartless or maybe even a statist, but that someone else's child is a potential competition for my child :P... BTW, I am talking about being FORCED to raise or help another child. Forced is the key word.

Or... ironically that someone else's child may develop the cure for my child who might get a rather incurable disease.
    Its not that big a stretch. Its basically extending k-12 below k.

Make it mandatory, let the municipalities pay for it. Watch as the final straw makes half the cities default.

Hope we win the fight during the reset.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

one way to cut the cost would be to allow home based day care the same tax advantages as the large official centers. plus a $100,000 a year exemption for all small businesses.

Deregulation and removing a lot of the barriers to entry will reduce the price but my guess is that the women are already skeptical of him would prefer the high quality and heavy regulated daycare system over some tinkering in the market of daycare.

I really don't see what he can do here to appeal to those people.

Our tax policy is not very family friendly at all. This is why we should have a flat tax. People with kids should have some freedoms to be able to raise those children themselves.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    ...high quality and heavy regulated daycare system...
    Heavily regulated is the antithesis of high quality. You get Ma Bell instead. You are correct that people are willing led to increased regulation. The Fed Gov should be completely out of the daycare system. Better to have fifty states and a handful of territories operating as independents and letting successful innovations develop and be shared.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wasn't Ron's proposal to make child care 100% tax deductible (or refundable)?

We paid $16k for daycare etc a year ago for 2 kids. Our daycare flows right into a private school so daycare works on things that they'd learn in Kindergarten so its not wasted time. The teachers are for the most part great. Now whether we made the right decision to continue to work and pay daycare or have me stay home? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Childcare costs really are asinine. I've run the numbers, and it's not even close to being worth it to leave your kid with strangers, expose them to diseases, bullyi g, and being a part-time parent.