Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: William Shatner wants 30 billion dollars

William Shatner wants 30 billion dollars

Wants to run a pipeline for water from Washington State to California....

The problem is that the Seattle region is facing drought as well.

http://www.king5.com/story/tech/scie...line/26080985/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At least he is asking for crowd funding- not taxes.

Thought this would be a Starbucks Pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Thought this would be a Starbucks Pipeline.
    I would club a 1000 adorable baby seals to death for a Starbucks Pipeline to my faucet.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Feasibility aside, I wonder if it would really cost that much.

I mean, I know it would if the FedGov was building it, but if it were privately contracted with incentives to finish "on time/early" and "at cost/under cost" I bet the price would be considerably lower.

A few years back with an interstate bridge collapsed in Oklahoma the contractor was offered incentives to finish on time (subject to safety verifications) and the project actually finished a couple of weeks early.

I've often wondered about the feasibility of running water pipelines along existing interstate routes. States and/or municipalities with an excess of water (and it seems like someone's always got a "too much rain!" problem going on somewhere) could put water up for sale to the highest bidder in an open market system. Costs of installation could be covered by selling stocks or shares (or even crowdfunding per Shatner's idea) and pumping costs could be covered by a percentage of the profits from the water sales.

I am just guessing here as far as the price but couldn't they build a bunch of coastal nuclear power plants for that amount and incorporate salt water distillation into the cooling process killing two birds with one stone?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    I am just guessing here as far as the price but couldn't they build a bunch of coastal nuclear power plants for that amount and incorporate salt water distillation into the cooling process killing two birds with one stone?
    Short answer - yes, most certainly. California only has itself to blame for its water and energy woes.

Instead, CA is shutting down power plants and probably refuses build de-salination plants. Environmental lobby, ya know.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The drought and water shortages in much of the Southwest are not predicted to abate anytime soon. And a December op-ed in the Los Angeles Times suggested that the issue of water may drive the next great migration straight into the Pacific Northwest.
    Jesus Christ...JK/SEA...two words:

Run Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Run Away!
    Ain't that scary? California tells Washington, 'Send us your water or we'll send you our excess yuppies!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Ain't that scary? California tells Washington, 'Send us your water or we'll send you our excess yuppies!'
    LMAO!!! If that doesn't work, Washingtonians could also threaten to send California way a bunch of grunge rock/hippie musicians from the Seattle hipster scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    LMAO!!! If that doesn't work, Washingtonians could also threaten to send California way a bunch of grunge rock/hippie musicians from the Seattle hipster scene.
    Nah. They'd actually like that.

Besides, California exports its excess yuppies in every direction. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas--a few even make it this far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm no yuppie.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I'm no yuppie.
    Are those designer shades in your avatar?Ever been to a fern bar?Had a pair of jeans that cost over $35.00?

Sorry,us people in flyover country can't be too careful,we've been burned before.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Are those designer shades in your avatar?Ever been to a fern bar?Had a pair of jeans that cost over $35.00?

Sorry,us people in flyover country can't be too careful,we've been burned before.
    I've never spent over 10.00 for a pair of sunglasses, and I wear Levis. Always have, always will. Don't know what a fern bar is. What is it?

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Fern bar was an American slang term for an upscale or preppy (or yuppie) bar or tavern catering to singles usually decorated with ferns or other greenery, as well as such decor as fake Tiffany lamps. The phrase came into common use in the late 1970s or early 1980s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern_bar

I've never been in one myself but I have heard the horror stories from California.
    They are crawling with yuppies.

I've never spent over 10.00 for a pair of sunglasses, and I wear Levis. Always have, always will. Don't know what a fern bar is. What is it?
    Well,you would fit right in,but you can see why we have to be careful.
    Last edited by mad cow; 04-20-2015 at 09:00 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    Short answer - yes, most certainly. California only has itself to blame for its water and energy woes.

Instead, CA is shutting down power plants and probably refuses build de-salination plants. Environmental lobby, ya know.
    Desalination plant in Carlsbad expected to go online this fall and produce enough water for 70,000 homes at the cost of $1 billion- enough for about ten percent of San Diego County. http://abc7.com/science/carlsbad-des...emands/369579/ But yeah- it takes a lot of fighting to get one built. (laugh at CA but other state also have NIMBY problems). It will be the largest one in the US.

We are still dry this year. Not only that but the last eighteen straight months have seen above average temperatures (March was a record).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-20-2015 at 09:34 PM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern_bar

I've never been in one myself but I have heard the horror stories from California.
    They are crawling with yuppies.

Well,you would fit right in,but you can see why we have to be careful.
    Yeah, I'm well aware of how hated California transplants are. A friend of ours who now lives in Montana has regaled us with his horror stories.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how hated California transplants are. A friend of ours who now lives in Montana has regaled us with his horror stories.
    well, you will need to get used to how people drive around here. nobody is really in a hurry or anything.
    they will even stop and hold up traffic to let you make a left turn or merge.
    we also pull over and stop for funerals.

in time, you will stop cussing at us and all will be normal..

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Run Away!
    funny you should mention. Told the wife we better build that pipe, or millions of people are coming to our backyard....

flip side is, my 400k house could be worth over a million soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Desalination plant in Carlsbad expected to go online this fall and produce enough water for 70,000 homes at the cost of $1 billion- enough for about ten percent of San Diego County. http://abc7.com/science/carlsbad-des...emands/369579/ But yeah- it takes a lot of fighting to get one built. (laugh at CA but other state also have NIMBY problems). It will be the largest one in the US.

We are still dry this year. Not only that but the last eighteen straight months have seen above average temperatures (March was a record).
    Hmmm... $1 Billion. For 70,000 homes. My math puts that at over $14K per home. 10 to 15 years before they start making a profit? Not including operation and maintenance costs? Which we all know will be high because operating a plant like this requires a lot of juice. I didn't click the link, but this has to be a government-sponsored project, right?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    well, you will need to get used to how people drive around here. nobody is really in a hurry or anything.
    they will even stop and hold up traffic to let you make a left turn or merge.
    we also pull over and stop for funerals.

in time, you will stop cussing at us and all will be normal..

A slower pace would suit me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Hmmm... $1 Billion. For 70,000 homes. My math puts that at over $14K per home. 10 to 15 years before they start making a profit? Not including operation and maintenance costs? Which we all know will be high because operating a plant like this requires a lot of juice. I didn't click the link, but this has to be a government-sponsored project, right?
    Desalination is costly- which is why it hasn't been done more. http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...t-goes-up-near

HIGH COST

Almost every discussion about desalination begins and ends with cost.

Desalinated water typically costs about $2,000 an acre foot -- roughly the amount of water a family of five uses in a year. The cost is about double that of water obtained from building a new reservoir or recycling wastewater, according to a 2013 study from the state Department of Water Resources.

And its price tag is at least four times the cost of obtaining "new water" from conservation methods -- such as paying farmers to install drip irrigation, or providing rebates for homeowners to rip out lawns or buy water-efficient toilets.

"We look out and see a vast ocean. It seems obvious," said Heather Cooley, water director for the Pacific Institute, a nonprofit research organization in Oakland. "But it's cost prohibitive for most places in California."

In Carlsbad, two gallons of seawater will be needed to produce each gallon of drinking water. And to remove the salt, the plant will use an enormous amount of energy -- about 38 megawatts, enough to power 28,500 homes -- to force 100 million gallons of seawater a day through a series of filters. The process, known as reverse osmosis, removes salt and other impurities by blasting the water at six times the pressure of a fire hose through membranes with microscopic holes.
    Sometimes the high costs can turn off the spigot.

After enduring severe water shortages during a drought in the late 1980s, Santa Barbara voters agreed to spend $34 million to build a desalination plant. It opened in 1991 and provided water for four months. When the drought ended, the city shut it down. Water from reservoirs and other sources was significantly cheaper.

Similarly, Australia spent more than $10 billion building six huge seawater desalination plants during a severe drought from 1997 to 2009. Today, Cooley noted, four are shut down because when rains finally came, the cost of the water became noncompetitive.

"We run the risk of building facilities that we don't use," Cooley said. "And that's a waste of money."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-21-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Desalination is costly- which is why it hasn't been done more. http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...t-goes-up-near

After enduring severe water shortages during a drought in the late 1980s, Santa Barbara voters agreed to spend $34 million to build a desalination plant. It opened in 1991 and provided water for four months. When the drought ended, the city shut it down. Water from reservoirs and other sources was significantly cheaper.

Similarly, Australia spent more than $10 billion building six huge seawater desalination plants during a severe drought from 1997 to 2009. Today, Cooley noted, four are shut down because when rains finally came, the cost of the water became noncompetitive.

"We run the risk of building facilities that we don't use," Cooley said. "And that's a waste of money."

So it sounds like the only thing preventing more of these from being built is the fear of not being able to recoup the investment costs. Hmm.

I wonder if there is any way to build one of these in modular form. That way, when a drought in any given area ends, the desal plant can simply be packed up and shipped off to the current high bidder who is suffering from drought. That way if some billionaire wants to invest in a few dozen of these, he's free to offer them on a rental/lease basis for varying terms. One year, two, three, five year leases could all be available. When the lease ends, the owner of the plant is free to lease it to the next drought-stricken area.

Free market at work.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    run a pipe from lake Michigan......

So... Basically, you just confirmed my post? Like I said, $1 Billion just builds it. They still have to operate it.

Pretty sure this is the definition of a boondoggle. Has nothing to do with NIMBY.

California would better off paying hundreds of rain dancers.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    So... Basically, you just confirmed my post? Like I said, $1 Billion just builds it. They still have to operate it.

Pretty sure this is the definition of a boondoggle. Has nothing to do with NIMBY.

California would better off paying hundreds of rain dancers.
    I'd have to disagree. Carriers, battleships, subs and the like have them, and if they can maintain them, coastal cities can too. The public needs to apply pressure and the private industry needs to step up. Otherwise, the gubers will use every excuse in the book to take more money and get more control over the population using the water shortage as an excuse. They're already talking about putting meters on private wells. We are on a private well. And I will be standing in front of it with a weapon if they try to charge me for my water. Guaranteed.

I'd have to disagree. Carriers, battleships, subs and the like have them, and if they can maintain them, coastal cities can too. The public needs to apply pressure and the private industry needs to step up. Otherwise, the gubers will use every excuse in the book to take more money and get more control over the population using the water shortage as an excuse. They're already talking about putting meters on private wells. We are on a private well. And I will be standing in front of it with a weapon if they try to charge me for my water. Guaranteed.
    Yeah, I don't want to use one bad policy as a justification for another bad policy. Did you see above where it's going to cost $14K per household it is designed to provide water for? And that's just to build it! It costs an incredible amount to actually run it. Yeah, they can blow money on government ships, but we shouldn't encourage them to blow more just because they do it somewhere else! You know someone's getting rich off this boondoggle, right?

Hell, maybe Shatner can just beam water from his planet.

Seriously, though. The answer is to allow the market to work. Let water prices rise to meet demand. Then innovative people will find a way to bring water to California. Hell, desalination might even be a part of it if the cost gets high enough.

Too many people living in an area that historically has not been able to support them. There is no fix really but to reduce the population of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Afraid that ship's done sailed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast