Thread: Kraft Mac & Cheese Shedding the Dyes

Exclamation Kraft Mac & Cheese Shedding the Dyes

Kraft Mac & Cheese Shedding the Dyes

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...-dyes-30450746

This is the last year that the original version of Kraft Mac & Cheese sold in the U.S. will contain artificial preservatives or synthetic colors.

In January, Kraft says its macaroni and cheese will be colored using paprika, annatto and turmeric.

There has been a huge shift away from processed foods in the U.S. and larger food producers are trying to follow their customers in that direction.

A Change.org petition begun in March 2013 by food activist Vani Hari, who blogs as the "Food Babe," asked Kraft to remove dyes from its macaroni and cheese. The petition garnered more than 365,000 signatures.

Already the company is selling a version in the U.S., called Kraft Mac & Cheese Boxed Shapes, which has no artificial flavors, preservatives or synthetic colors.

Kraft said that its other macaroni and cheese varieties sold in the U.S., such as Shapes Cups, Original Cups, Premium Flavors and Easy Mac will have no artificial flavors, preservatives or synthetic colors later next year.

The Canadian macaroni and cheese version, called Kraft Dinner Original, will also eliminate synthetic colors by 2016's end.

The company said that it has worked for some time to make the changes to the product, but had to ensure that customers would not notice a change in taste.

"We weren't ready to change the product until we were confident that Kraft Macaroni & Cheese tastes like Kraft Macaroni & Cheese," the company said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.kraftfoodsgroup.com/delic...foodcolor.aspx

Why don't you use natural colors?
    Actually, we do in several varieties. We know some of you are looking for Mac & Cheese with natural food colors or no colors at all. Here are 14 options you can consider:

KRAFT Mac & Cheese Organic White Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Organic Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese White Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Alfredo
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Deluxe Original Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Deluxe Four Cheese
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Deluxe Sharp Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Creamy Parmesan Alfredo
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Sharp Cheddar and Bacon
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Classic Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Hearty Four Cheese
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Bowl Southwest Tortilla
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Homestyle Bowl Creamy Broccoli with White Cheddar
    KRAFT Mac & Cheese Cup Alfredo

Why do you use artificial colors in Mac & Cheese when other countries don’t?

All of the ingredients, including colors, work together to deliver the distinctive taste, appearance and texture people have come to expect and love from Original KRAFT Mac & Cheese.

I’ve heard these colors are bad for you. Is it true?

The artificial colors allowed in the U.S. food supply, including the Yellow #5 and #6 used in some KRAFT Mac & Cheese varieties, have been thoroughly studied for decades and deemed safe for use by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA). And the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) shares the FDA’s perspective that these colors are safe for use in foods. Scientific consensus on safety is very important when we look at what ingredients to use. You can check it out for yourself. Here are the links to what both the FDA and EFSA have to say.

C'mon. How hard is it to make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The artificial colors allowed in the U.S. food supply, including the Yellow #5 and #6 used in some KRAFT Mac & Cheese varieties, have been thoroughly studied for decades and deemed safe for use by the Food & Drug Administration

Clinical trials have shown that modest percentages of children are affected by doses up to 35 mg of mixtures of synthetic coloring, with larger percentages generally being affected by doses of 100 mg or more. The amount of dye that is needed to trigger reactions in the most sensitive children is not known.

"Until now, how much of these neurotoxic chemicals are used in specific foods was a well-kept secret," said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson. "I suspect that food manufacturers themselves don't even know. But now it is clear that many children are consuming far more dyes than the amounts shown to cause behavioral problems in some children. The cumulative impact of so much dyed foods in children's diets, from breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, is a partial reason why behavioral problems have become more common."

According to the Purdue researchers, the amount of artificial food dye certified for use by the Food and Drug Administration has increased five-fold, per capita, between 1950 and 2012.
    The researchers estimate that a child could easily consume 100 mg of dyes in a day and that some children could consume more than 200 mg per day. Studies that tested much smaller amounts could easily have downplayed or missed entirely the effect of dyes on behavior.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/201405071.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Yellow #5 (Tartrazine)

Yellow 5 causes sometimes-severe hypersensitivity reactions and might trigger hyperactivity and other behavioral effects in children. What it's in: Pet foods, numerous bakery goods, beverages, dessert powders, candies, cereals, gelatin desserts, and many other foods, as well as pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.

Yellow #6 (Sunset Yellow)

Caused adrenal tumors in animals and occasionally causes severe hypersensitivity reactions. What it's in: Color bakery goods, cereals, beverages, dessert powders, candies, gelatin deserts, sausage, cosmetics, and drugs.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...food-dyes.aspx
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

LEAVE MY KM&CD ALONE! GRRRRR!

As long as they are yellow...
    My kid identifies his noodles by color. Yellow (mac&cheese), red (marinara), and green (pesto)
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Hey lipservicetobiggovernmentjuan, maybe people don't want that crap in their food... but thanks for your perspective... are you an oligarchist too?
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let me guess, they'll make it smaller, worse and cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    LEAVE MY KM&CD ALONE! GRRRRR!
    No kidding! The $#@!s complaining about it aren't ever going to buy it! They are just pissed because other people are eating it. Concern trolls are some of the most obnoxious humans on the planet.
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-22-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Hey lipservicetobiggovernmentjuan, maybe people don't want that crap in their food... but thanks for your perspective... are you an oligarchist too?
    Speaking of concern trolls ..... nobody with half a brain equates KM&C with healthy. It's comfort food. Why can't you guys just leave other people the hell alone already?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    C'mon. How hard is it to make your own?
    I make my own, Kraft just very conveniently provides most of the fixin's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I make my own, Kraft just very conveniently provides most of the fixin's.
    The Food Babe is full of $#@!. <--- great article written by a hot chick with actual degrees in science.

ANd here's a kicker that the media forgot to mention - Food Bitch sells foods containing the same dyes she railed against. But liberals never make any sense. They're bullies, they don't need facts.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's comfort food.

Tatrazine isn't a comfort food, it doesn't grow, it doesn't have any nutritional value. Its refined from crude oil.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Tatrazine isn't a comfort food, it doesn't grow, it doesn't have any nutritional value. Its refined from crude oil.
    Two guesses: You're just reciting a random talking point you read somewhere without actually checking the facts behind it, and you didn't read the links I posted.

Here's another link: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/po...d%3DTartrazine

Tartrazine is a bright yellow azo dye. Azo compounds are of a very general form with a double bonded pair of nitrogen atoms at their heart. Each nitrogen is linked to a different organic group and this structure is ideal to enable delocalised electrons. These are electrons that aren't associated with individual atoms. Delocalisation gives molecules a tendency to have a strong interaction with light, and hence can have a powerful colouring effect.

Tartrazine has been widely used as a food colouring in everything from sweets and orange drinks to cereals and marmalades. It has traditionally been used in food, in part because it is cheap to make, but also because it is significantly more stable than most natural food colourings.
    I can only assume that when kids start getting sick because their mac and cheese went rancid on the shelf, the feel-good by screwing with other people's food crowd will simply say that their parents should have been threshing their own wheat or something.

And who cares if food for poor people gets more expensive - the government pays for it all any way! Best we should make sure they only eat the expensive organic crap, because they're obviously far too stupid to make their own decisions. We clearly have to save other people's children from the evil corporate scientists.

Science and reason is no match for the ignorance of bullies, though. If I have learned one thing from politics, it's that.
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.

I make my own...that stuff is gross.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I make my own...that stuff is gross.
    Yes, with REAL cheddar cheese.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Speaking of concern trolls ..... nobody with half a brain equates KM&C with healthy. It's comfort food. Why can't you guys just leave other people the hell alone already?
    Stop whining, tumeric will help keep your gall bladder healthy and it tastes good.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Two guesses: You're just reciting a random talking point you read somewhere without actually checking the facts behind it, and you didn't read the links I posted.

Two guesses:

You don't seem to grasp that given the option
    to put something that grew in the garden one's mouth vs
    something out of an oil well,
    one should be picking green and sunshine every time.

You've never attempted to trace the synthesis of tatrazine back to raw elements; grown or mined.

And yes, I read about your food babe skeptic who $#@!s blood when she eats white bread, but thinks anyone else without an officially approved diagnosis is a quack.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...