Thread: Michigan: Bill Would Force Homeschoolers To Have Home Inspections by Social Workers

Michigan: Bill Would Force Homeschoolers To Have Home Inspections by Social Workers

This bill must be be stopped!
    Bill Would Force Homeschoolers To Have Home Inspections by Social Workers

A new bill in Michigan would require homeschoolers to be monitored by the State with two annual visits from social workers.

The bill was introduced this week, after two children were found dead in a freezer by officers serving an eviction. The children had been dead for two years, but their mother had told everyone who asked about them that they were being homeschooled.

If the newly-introduced bill is passed, it will require all homeschooled children to be registered with their school district, and to have social workers pay two home visits every year.

“Michigan is one of only 11-states that does not require parents homeschooling their children to initiate to any contact with the state about the kids being homeschooled,” State Representative Stephanie Chang said.

But Chang, the author of the bill, had very little to say about the bizarre home inspection visits.

Chang said the bill will be named after Stephen and Stoni, the two children found dead.

“I believe this bill not only will have a part in monitoring children’s education… in some cases, save lives,” Stephen Berry and Stoni Blair’s grandfather John Blair said.

“I believe this bill is the start of fixing things that have been needed in Michigan for years,” John added.

“I have a problem with it because the whole premise of the legislation assumes there is something wrong with people who homeschool,” Rhonda Smith, a homeschooling mom told local WXYZ news.
    http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/0...e-inspections/
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-20-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added link at the bottom
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Talked with my legislators and this bill is very poorly written and will not pass. That doesn't mean there won't be further push for this. $#@! them. I don't care what "laws" they pass. I will not comply.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Also, I'm looking into this Chang lady. I bet she has connections to the MEA.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Michigan is one of only 11-states that does not require parents homeschooling their children to initiate to any contact with the state about the kids being homeschooled
    What are the other 10?

-t

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    Talked with my legislators and this bill is very poorly written and will not pass. That doesn't mean there won't be further push for this. $#@! them. I don't care what "laws" they pass. I will not comply.

Good for you on the "will not comply."

But even better is to stamp out this stuff before it ever begins to take root. Eternal vigilance really IS the price of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    What are the other 10?

-t
    Texas is one. Anyone know the others? I'm not so familiar with other states homeschooling laws.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Relax guys, it's for the children.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Good for you on the "will not comply."

But even better is to stamp out this stuff before it ever begins to take root. Eternal vigilance really IS the price of liberty.
    Eternal unity in vigilance really works. Vigilance and unity work best when the ultimate purpose of free speech can be engaged. Otherwise the tyrants have their covert infiltrators pointing at the vigilant claiming, "conspiracy theorists", or "cries of wolf".

When the ultimate purpose of free speech can be served, the principles supporting liberty and freedom can be kept alive and well defined in the hearts and minds of the people. The ends of our vigilance are easily served from this environment.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Texas is one. Anyone know the others? I'm not so familiar with other states homeschooling laws.
    Oklahoma is another. I remember seeing a map a few years back that had some sort of homeschool freedom rankings of the states, but don't remember where it was. Something like that shouldn't be terribly difficult to dig up.

With regard to the OP, what is this sort of proposed legislation supposed to accomplish? If someone kills their kids and sticks them in the freezer, they get caught in 6 months instead of 2 years? I fail to see how this would save a life, if someone was going to commit murder anyways.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Oklahoma is another. I remember seeing a map a few years back that had some sort of homeschool freedom rankings of the states, but don't remember where it was. Something like that shouldn't be terribly difficult to dig up.

With regard to the OP, what is this sort of proposed legislation supposed to accomplish? If someone kills their kids and sticks them in the freezer, they get caught in 6 months instead of 2 years? I fail to see how this would save a life, if someone was going to commit murder anyways.
    Is this it?

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/11/...schooling.html

The 10 freest states for homeschooling are in green and listed below:
    Alaska
    Connecticut
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Missouri
    New Jersey
    Oklahoma
    Texas

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Is this it?

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/11/...schooling.html

The 10 freest states for homeschooling are in green and listed below:
    Alaska
    Connecticut
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Missouri
    New Jersey
    Oklahoma
    Texas

-t
    That, is a very interesting map, I notice its from 2012, I wonder if anything has changed. I never would have guessed IL and NJ ranked so high on the goodness scale. MO makes perfect sense to me, I am aware of a ton of homeschooling families up there. OK also makes sense, as does ID.

Its interesting that New Hampshire is ranked poorly. I don't know exactly what 'moderate regulation' means. Homeschooling is even above Gun Rights in my ranking of liberty priorities.

I think I will make another thread about homeschooling liberty in the 50 states. Maybe others will chime in, I don't see enough discussion about it here.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Any evidence at all that all of these deaths were home-schooled children?

Age in Years (2013):

Age Total
    1-4 134
    5-9 87
    10-14 114
    15-19 413
    http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/osr/...byagerace1.asp
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Homeschooling is even above Gun Rights in my ranking of liberty priorities.
    I don't know... When they come to "inspect" your homeschooling operation, your gun rights will prove to be extremely useful. It's a funny thing about rights - it's pretty hard to rank them. It's like, "Which do you prefer to keep, good sir, your heart or your brain?"
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I don't know... When they come to "inspect" your homeschooling operation, your gun rights will prove to be extremely useful. It's a funny thing about rights - it's pretty hard to rank them. It's like, "Which do you prefer to keep, good sir, your heart or your brain?"
    No, I'm not talking about giving up all gun rights. I'm saying if forced to choose, I would rather live where I potentially get a mild citation for certain things having to do with a firearm, than where my kids would have to jump through government hoops.

I ain't giving up guns, but a man can always hide them if necessary. When the government makes you ask permission to homeschool your children, there is always the risk they will tell you No.

If they come to "inspect" then homeschooling freedom is clearly not existing where I am, so its moot anyway. But yes, its always hard to rank liberty. Raising your family and self defense are two of the most basic rights. But its easier to not comply with gun stuff and get away with it. Not complying with state law regarding schooling can get you a visit easily.
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-23-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

No, I'm not talking about giving up all gun rights.
    Yeah, I gotcha. Just a reminder that are rights are not exclusive. They can't be separated and judged on their own. They are natural and you either have them all, or you have none.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Home schooling did not cause the children to die. Maybe these children were not actually home schooled. I've known people to skirt truancy laws by claiming their kids were home schooled. It would be a shame to indict all home school parents because one parent lied.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, I gotcha. Just a reminder that are rights are not exclusive. They can't be separated and judged on their own. They are natural and you either have them all, or you have none.
    Of course, but mighty few of them are entirely recognized by government. I believe there are still areas with no speed limit. But that's not a priority issue for me. I don't kid myself that I'm "free enough" but the car I mainly drive barely goes 75 anyway.

I will not live in NY, where I risk a charge of a felony for possessing certain firearms, granted those laws are immoral and unconstitutional, but they are the current reality there. Neither will I live in a place with strict homeschooling laws.

Its not about giving up rights, its recognizing that certain state governments may attempt some level of infringement, at least on paper. For a cancer patient trying natural remedies, living in a place like Colorado is probably a good idea. As for myself, I have never used, and have no current intention of using that plant. I will attempt to get the law changed, and I recognize others natural right to use it. I imagine homeschooling laws are probably not a priority for a lot of liberty lovers who do not intend to have children.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Home schooling did not cause the children to die. Maybe these children were not actually home schooled. I've known people to skirt truancy laws by claiming their kids were home schooled. It would be a shame to indict all home school parents because one parent lied.
    Based on the article, it sounded like the woman killed her children, and then told everyone she was homeschooling them.

So logically, if she had told them they had moved to Nebraska to live with their aunt, this member of the MI legislature would be considering outlawing moving to Nebraska.
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-23-2015 at 07:57 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Its interesting that New Hampshire is ranked poorly. I don't know exactly what 'moderate regulation' means. Homeschooling is even above Gun Rights in my ranking of liberty priorities.
    NH used to be worse than average. Now it is better than average.

NH requires a one time notification. It then requires annual keeping of a portfolio , or test by one of several methods. I believe you have to keep test results or the portfolio for 3 years. However, you don't need to show the portfolio or test results to anyone.

Many parents go further than is required in NH because they want their children to partially attend government school for the advanced classes, sports, or online classes. After all, the parents already paid for all of those services, anyway.

Also, NH is the only state where there is a business tax credit to pay back the costs of homeschooling.

Plenty of people unschool in NH. In fact, perhaps the most famous unschool mom in the nation lives in NH. http://thesparklingmartins.blogspot.com/ The Unschool Bus was also a many year NH project. You remember the bus right? It was parked outside the NH Ron Paul office in 2012. The kids grew up. Now it is the Bitcoin Bus. https://www.facebook.com/theUnschoolBus
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Based on the article, it sounded like the woman killed her children, and then told everyone she was homeschooling them.

So logically, if she had told them they had moved to Nebraska to live with their aunt, this member of the MI legislature would be considering outlawing moving to Nebraska.
    Exactly. Prosecute the crime. Make it about killing the children and trying to hide the evidence. That affects everyone, not just a select portion of the population.

Although the home school aspect would be fairly easy to check. Are there books in the home? What does the internet history say? Correspondence from an online school? It is practically impossible to home school and not have any evidence in the home.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Parents will be able to conveniently renew their annual parenting license during each inspection.
    /satire
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

This is a typical case of action for action's sake.

Whenever we hear about something bad or disgusting, legislators are pressured to do something about it. It really doesn't matter whether or not what they do is reasonable. It also doesn't matter much whether it actually reduces the problem. The important part is that is appeases the masses.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

I bet a pile of heads in front of USSA CPS STAZZI HQ would reverse this policy REAL FAST!

ZIG HEIL MUTHER $#@!ERS!

-t

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like an excuse to get inside the homes. If they are worried the kids are dead, why not just have the kids show up at one of their public indoctrination centers twice a year to prove they are still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    This is a typical case of action for action's sake.

I agree, but this is an area where there are differences between Democrats and Republicans. I'm one to say that Republicans are as big on gov as Democrats, but progressives such as yourself are more opposed to home schooling than liberty minded people. Your progressive brethren is much more likely to support big state institutions such as public education and labor behind them. You are often the ones hostile to home schooling and advocate this general brand of intervention.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Formal schooling is obsolete because of the smartphone.