Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Snobs Are Right: Glass Shape Does Affect Flavor

Wine Snobs Are Right: Glass Shape Does Affect Flavor

Franzia Chillable Red tastes lovely out of a plastic cup, no fancy glassware needed.

Seeing is smelling for a camera system developed by scientists in Japan that images ethanol vapour escaping from a wine glass. And, perhaps most importantly, no wine is wasted in the process.

Kohji Mitsubayashi, at the Tokyo Medical and Dental University, and colleagues impregnated a mesh with the enzyme alcohol oxidase, which converts low molecular weight alcohols and oxygen into aldehydes and hydrogen peroxide. Horseradish peroxide and luminol were also immobilised on the mesh and together initiate a colour change in response to hydrogen peroxide. When this mesh is placed on top of a wine glass, colour images from a camera watching over the mesh on top of a glass of wine can be interpreted to map the concentration distribution of ethanol leaving the glass.

Different glass shapes and temperatures can bring out completely different bouquets and finishes from the same wine. So Mitsubayashi’s team analysed different wines, in different glasses – including different shaped wine glasses, a martini glass and a straight glass – at different temperatures.

At 13°C, the alcohol concentration in the centre of the wine glass was lower than that around the rim. Wine served at a higher temperature, or from the martini or straight glass, did not exhibit a ring-shaped vapour pattern. ‘This ring phenomenon allows us to enjoy the wine aroma without interference of gaseous ethanol. Accordingly, wine glass shape has a very sophisticated functional design for tasting and enjoying wine,’ explains Mitsubayashi.

Wine scientist Régis Gougeon, from the University of Burgundy, France, says the work is really interesting when considering its experimental setup, which allows for a rather straightforward and inexpensive detection of ethanol. ‘Bearing in mind the flavour enhancer properties of ethanol, this work provides an unprecedented image of the claimed impact of glass geometry on the overall complex wine flavour perception, thus validating the search for optimum adequation between a glass and a wine.’

In the future the system could help indicate the best wine glass and precise temperature to serve a certain wine.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...id=SA_Facebook

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    You have inspired me to buy my first box of wine. I am no connoisseur, I just like wine that isn't dry or bitter or whatever. Boone's Farm is tasty to me... Koolaid with a buzz!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    You have inspired me to buy my first box of wine. I am no connoisseur, I just like wine that isn't dry or bitter or whatever. Boone's Farm is tasty to me... Koolaid with a buzz!
    Franzia Chillable Red. Seriously, it's like awesome Kool Aid.

We Got Two Sommeliers to Rank Franzia's Classy Boxed Wine

4 (tie). Chillable Red ($16.99 5L)
    Jamie: I quite like this. On the nose you get red currant, raspberry, and tobacco. It’s jammy with some earthiness and reminds me of Jolly Ranchers. Pair with pork rinds. (Rank 3)
    Cesar: This wine is trying to be Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Pair with calamari or chicken fingers. (Rank 4)

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/natio...ine-boxed-wine

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Dry all the way for me. You can still do it on the cheap using boxed wine--that Black Box stuff is good, but all the Franzia is too sweet for me. If I'm going to drink sweet, I go all the way and make something fruity with rum or vodka.

Just saw a really interesting variation on a bloody mary that's made with tomato water rather than tomato juice (Geoffrey Zakarian recipe), and man it looks good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ato-slice.html
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I like wine out of ceramic cups...
    "I am a bird"

/.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Not washing them tends to do that too.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OoOoOoOo....Classy. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I have some friends that bring these to parties:

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I like wine out of ceramic cups...
    I've been known to drink it out of coffee cups. It's not as good as my plastic cup but not bad. Btw, when I say plastic cup, I mean a Tervis Tumbler, not a solo cup but specs friends cups are pretty sweet.

This is my wine cup. I only drink 2 glasses per night.

I can't get it to embed but here's my cup. I have the lid, straw, and handle features to minimize spillage. It really is a great cup, no condensation, and they replace them if you manage to break it..

I have the pink S, not the ugly blue stripe that shows up.

http://www.tervis.com/designs/Form-C...c=093597197154

Port and just drink it out of the bottle.

Or does glass shape just amplify aroma?

Yes- that is a huge part of it. A significant portion of taste is actually smell- yes, the shape of the glass can effect the aroma by allowing or not allowing smells of the wine to escape. A glass like the one in AntiFederalist's post contains the aroma and can even concentrate it more while a V- shaped plastic cup lets it escape so there is less of a smell/ taste. (temperature effects taste too- colder wines offer less flavor).

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I have some friends that bring these to parties:
    My ex preferred the shot glass necklace.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I like tequila in my coffee...
    I like tequila in anything.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a Argentina Malbec 2012 last night. Superb...

I don't know about the type glass...but glass over plastic is a must.

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've been known to drink it out of coffee cups. It's not as good as my plastic cup but not bad. Btw, when I say plastic cup, I mean a Tervis Tumbler, not a solo cup but specs friends cups are pretty sweet.

I can't get it to embed but here's my cup. I have the lid, straw, and handle features to minimize spillage. It really is a great cup, no condensation, and they replace them if you manage to break it..

Nice tumblers,though a little spendy.

Restraining yourself to a quart and a half a night is admirable,red wine in moderation is actually quite healthy.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Nice tumblers,though a little spendy.

Restraining yourself to a quart and a half a night is admirable,red wine in moderation is actually quite healthy.
    They are a little pricey BUT they keep hot drinks hot, cold drinks cold, they don't sweat, they come with cute patterns , and they replace them, no questions asked, if one ever breaks. I've sent back dozens over the years. I bought a similar looking tumbler at Walmart for $10.00 and it didn't last a year. I've had some of my Tervis tumblers for 15 years. They really are great cups.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    My ex preferred the shot glass necklace.
    Well LAH-DEE-DAH for those red plastic stem goblets, really classy. LOL!

<--- wants the shot glass necklace
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those fancy chalices make me feel like I'd have to do the sign of the cross and say Amen after each sip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Those fancy chalices make me feel like I'd have to do the sign of the cross and say Amen after each sip.
    On a slightly related note, if Mr A hasnt tried one already, get him a glencairn for his scotch... They make a difference.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Ah, the insulated tumbler. Those work great. Did you know they now make them for wine? Usually I see them with no lid or straw, but it appears that they come with them. They are popular right now. We use them at outdoor events. And at the last one, the guy that was pouring the sparkling was filling them to the brim. Way too much for the ladies.

An example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Modern...df_B076CW2M3Q/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ah, the insulated tumbler. Those work great. Did you know they now make them for wine? Usually I see them with no lid or straw, but it appears that they come with them. They are popular right now. We use them at outdoor events. And at the last one, the guy that was pouring the sparkling was filling them to the brim. Way too much for the ladies.

An example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Modern...df_B076CW2M3Q/
    I have one but I never use it because it's not big enough, lol.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    On a slightly related note, if Mr A hasnt tried one already, get him a glencairn for his scotch... They make a difference.

He has some fancy scotch glasses but, and I'm not kidding, he usually just drinks it out of the bottle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast