Thread: Rand Paul Scraps with Bush, Rubio, and Graham — on Policy if Not by Name

Rand Paul Scraps with Bush, Rubio, and Graham — on Policy if Not by Name

Rand Paul Scraps with Bush, Rubio, and Graham — on Policy if Not by Name
    Rand Paul issues jabs to his competitors from the New Hampshire stage.

by David Weigel
    Apr 18, 2015 11:46 AM EDT

NASHUA, N.H. -- Republican-on-Republican brawling broke out during Kentucky Senator Rand Paul's speech to the First in the Nation summit. Seventeen minutes in, as Paul discussed his Senate fights against threats to due process, he said that "the loudest critics of me" had engaged in an outrageous debate.

"One of them said, well, 'When they ask for a lawyer, just tell them to shut up,'" said Paul. "Really? That's the kind of discourse we're going to have in this country?"

He was referring to, but not naming, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham, who would speak to the summit several hours later. In 2011, Graham found himself debating Paul on whether enemy combatants — not American citizens — should be read their Miranda rights. "You don't get a lawyer," Graham had continued. "You're an enemy combatant."

Not for the first time, Paul was telling Republican voters that his critics had been debunked and discredited. Standing next to a lectern, wearing jeans, a button-down white shirt, and a red tie, Paul warned that there was "a group of folks in our party who would have troops in six countries right now, maybe more" and "a group of folks in our party who voted to give arms to Gaddafi." They talked tough on terrorism, but they had no idea what the consequences of their votes were.

read more:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...if-not-by-name

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Civil forfeiture — this is where the government can take your stuff without you being charged with a crime," said Paul. "Disproportionately, the people affected by it are minorities. Disproportionately, the people affected by it are poor... you know who the biggest defender of it is?"

"Loretta Lynch!" yelled Norman Trezenga, a former member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives.

"This is the main reason I oppose her," said Paul, to more applause. "Nobody on the Democratic side is doing a damn thing about this."
    damn right Rand, call 'em out.

Wow, blooooody. In a good way. I now have a model for going negative in the correct way.

Rubio took a shot at Rand during a speech last night

One of Rubio’s Senate colleagues who has also declared for president takes a more libertarian approach to the issue. Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul holds up a cell phone during his stump speech and declares, “On day one, I will end this unconstitutional surveillance.”

Without mentioning Paul by name, Rubio lit into him.

“You can listen to all this hyperbole about how they’re listening to your phone calls and all these other things,” Rubio said, “but I’m telling you, if God forbids that happens here, the first question people are going to want to know is: Why didn’t we know about it? Why didn’t we stop it? This is not a game!”
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...us-117105.html

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Rubio took a shot at Rand during a speech last night

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...us-117105.html
    He is making a direct case for the surveillance state. This is great lol-- if he manages to win the Primary this will give him a 25 point headwind in the General. dummies.

"He probably got more applause than anyone I've seen speak here so far," said focus group guru Frank Luntz, who had watched most of the speech standing next to Paul's campaign manager Chip Englander. "You've got to give them something different, and you've got to get them to pay attention for a year."
    What has the world come to, when I can no longer say "$#@! You, Frank"?
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Thumbs up

On Friday night, Florida Senator Marco Rubio told the same room of Republicans that anti-NSA rhetoric was unfounded. "Don't listen to hyperbole about listening to your phone calls," he said.

Paul got some of his biggest applause by warning about exactly that. "The Fourth Amendment is not consistent with a warrant that says Mr. Verizon on it," he said. "Last I checked, Mr. Verizon is not a person. The government, it's none of their damn business what you're doing on your phone."
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    What has the world come to, when I can no longer say "$#@! You, Frank"?
    I know, right?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul slams GOP foreign policy hawks

By JAMES HOHMANN
    4/18/15 12:58 PM EDT

NASHUA, N.H.—Rand Paul ripped into his hawkish rivals for the Republican nomination Saturday, suggesting that problems in the Middle East would actually be worse under them than President Barack Obama.

“There’s a group of folks in our party who would have troops in six countries right now — maybe more,” the Kentucky senator told hundreds of activists at a GOP cattle call that has drawn every major presidential aspirant. “This is something, if you watch closely, that will separate me from many other Republicans. The other Republicans will criticize Hillary Clinton and the president for their foreign policy, but they would have done the same thing – just 10 times over!”

The Kentucky senator went on the offensive against the militarists in his own party – using his strongest language on the subject since formally kicking off his candidacy two weeks ago.

Speaking of the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Paul asked: “Why the hell did we ever go into Libya in the first place?”

read more:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...ks-117107.html

great stuff. great stuff!
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Frank Luntz is really making the rounds here. I hate to say it but if he remains consistent through the general election and Paul ends up winning, I may end up taking back every single thing I've said negative about the guy, and there were MANY of those. MANY I tell you!

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Frank Luntz is really making the rounds here. I hate to say it but if he remains consistent through the general election and Paul ends up winning, I may end up taking back every single thing I've said negative about the guy, and there were MANY of those. MANY I tell you!
    He needs to be hired by our side as soon as possible. Either by Rand, or by a PAC.

He is to good at what he does to be on the wrong team again.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Four years ago, Rand was present for one of Luntz's televised focus groups discussing foreign policy. Upon seeing some adverse results for Ron Paul on the issue, he replied "I guess we have our work cut out for us." Rand's every move on the subject since has been directed at reversing or softening the opposition to the non-interventionist view. He has done his homework, and maintained a constructive approach to dealing with the kind of data Luntz collects, and Luntz appears to respect and appreciate Rand as a result.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Damn Rand was on fire. He's not pulling any punches and I like it. Keep calling these son of a bitches out.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson