Thread: Beer made from sewage water might soon be a reality

Beer made from sewage water might soon be a reality

They do this already, it's called Buttweiser.

On Wednesday, the Oregon Environmental Quality Commission voted to let one brewery use water recycled from sewage to brew its beer, Oregon Public Broadcasting reports. The brewery, Oregon Brew Crew, would be supplied by Clean Water Services, a utility with a highly sophisticated treatment process that turns sewage into drinking-quality water.

The batches of beer made from recycled water would be served at events, not sold at a brewery, the radio station reports.

There’s still one hurdle to anyone actually sipping a pint of beer that was once sewage: The state recycled water reuse regulations must be amended to include human consumption.

But the Oregon Health Authority has already approved Clean Water Services’ request to provide water for beer, citing “the high quality of the treated water, additional microbial reduction in the brewing process, and a low health risk overall,” in an official report.

Recycled sewage water is already used in some cases to spread on crops for irrigation in Oregon, as well as for recharging groundwater. But this is the first time the state has considered allowing the stuff to be repurposed for human consumption.

http://www.newsweek.com/beer-made-se...reality-322817

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Stahp already...don't make me hate muh beer......
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Stahp already...don't make me hate muh beer......
    muh pisswater, ya mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    muh pisswater, ya mean.
    Everybody around me drinks frickin' light beer. What's up with that?

I can't stand drinking "beer aid", won't touch the stuff.
    "The Patriarch"

I like my beer to have a bite to it.

"The Patriarch"

Thank God for microbreweries.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Garbage in, garbage out. Just collect the money from the middle man.

Gives whole new meaning to mirobrewey.

When you think about it, all water is just recycled water.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I don't want to think about it though.....
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Air too.

With every breath you breathe that's another 100 million atoms also breathed by Jesus. (and the dinosaurs)
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.

I'm not feeling so bad about my arsenic infused hooch now.
    At least it's not piss.

I'm not feeling so bad about my arsenic infused hooch now.
    At least it's not piss.
    It was somebodies piss at some point.......
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

muh pisswater, ya mean.
    I tasted beer once in HS and it tasted like crap. Never gave it a second chance. But here's a funny story. At a party one of my friends took a bottle, poured out the contents, peed in it, put the cap back on somehow and put it in the fridge.......yeah someone drank it. He kept saying "This beer takes like piss." Finally everyone else couldn't stop laughing and told him. Glad that wasn't me.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

No big deal. We already drink "recycled" water in California.

Ever wonder what they drink on the space station?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I tasted beer once in HS and it tasted like crap. Never gave it a second chance. But here's a funny story. At a party one of my friends took a bottle, poured out the contents, peed in it, put the cap back on somehow and put it in the fridge.......yeah someone drank it. He kept saying "This beer takes like piss." Finally everyone else couldn't stop laughing and told him. Glad that wasn't me.
    I bet he was pissed off when he found out. Don't tell me that young man grew up to be Bear Grylls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    No big deal. We already drink "recycled" water in California.
    Ya nasty.

Ever wonder what they drink on the space station?
    Franzia Chillable Red?

Would that pass the Reinheitsgebot/German Beer Purity Law?

They do this already, it's called Buttweiser.

Any water, regardless of how foul, after passing through a reverse-osmosis filter, is rendered perfectly potable.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Introducing reclaimed sewage water into the potable supply is absolutely in the long-term plans of all arid region water suppliers in the USA. Unofficially called "toilet-to-tap". There are many known problems, aside from the psychological aversion. One is the high level of unhealthy nitrates. Another is the presence of powerful pharmaceuticals. The drugs come from people flushing surplus prescriptions down the toilet as a means of disposal and also from drug residue that pases through the body in an active form. While the technology exists to filter it effectively, the cost of treating millions of gallons of water is significant.

I suspect there are also unknown problems. Without a doubt, the single greatest triumph in the history of public health was getting the sewage out of the drinking water supply. I think everyone is underestimating the problems that will arise from putting it back in.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.