Thread: [Video] Rand Paul speech at New Hampshire Republican Leadership Summit 4/18/15

[Video] Rand Paul speech at New Hampshire Republican Leadership Summit 4/18/15

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MxfOipr7E

or watch whole event on CSPAN website, Rand introduced at 58:00

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325374-...p-summit-day-2

--

Airtime starts at 9am, I think Rand speaks at 10.

This summit is the two-day New Hampshire First in the Nation Republican Leadership Summit, with bunches of potential presidential candidates speaking. Nashua, NH.

http://www.fitn.gop/

Replays of today's speakers are on C-SPAN.org.
    Last edited by jct74; 04-18-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add video
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watching live now, sounds like a generic republican interventionist is speaking now. Hopefully Rand comes on at 10am EST.

Being introduced right now.

ugg man coming over the hill singing

Good speech. One interesting thing, is that during many of his taking points, it was the women who applauded while the men did not.

He took a few shots at Graham and his ilk and his Hillary attacks were very well received.

Hope there's a tube of this. Tried to watch the stream but in turn that stream tried to fry my CPU. I need a new computer lol or else I will miss the 2016 elections.
    "I am a bird"

Rand is working the room like a pro

He is a rock star on the floor

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    he's finished now.

Nothing new to those of us who follow closely.

I really like how he's focusing on a message of the GOP supporting the entire bill of rights, not just the 1st and 2nd amendment, but the 4th, 5th, 6th, as a way for outreach, growing the party, and speaking to new constituencies.

Of note to me was the lack of applause when he stated that we should've never gone into Libya.
    That said, his overall fp statements - other candidates want boots on the ground everywhere, naming the enemy (radical Islam), his declaration of war bill, defending interests, being careful about when and how to intervene, seemed to go over pretty well. He did mention in the Q&A that he now supported "military action" against ISIS, but didn't clarify what that was in detail. Given all the hawkishness this audience gobbled up yesterday with other speakers, I'd say he passed the test.

Nice joke about Hillary traveling with two planes, one for her entourage, one for her baggage. Predicted a more lively Democratic primary than is currently presumed.

Showing him chatting with a blind young lady - really awesome, he asked about her condition and they discussed it.

Another lady and man told him to continue to be strong with the media - nice.

He was swarmed when he went into the audience to press the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Hope there's a tube of this. Tried to watch the stream but in turn that stream tried to fry my CPU. I need a new computer lol or else I will miss the 2016 elections.

there will be, on c-span.org, later today most likely.

I see Frank Luntz hanging around…wonder who he intends to create a "surge" for, at the end of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I see Frank Luntz hanging around…wonder who he intends to create a "surge" for, at the end of day.
    I think he is objective. He studies political communication and speeches. Some of his best reviews have been of Rand. I have read his book Words that Work and I think it is actually really good for political communication/persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Afterwards, Luntz said this:

"He probably got more applause than anyone I've seen speak here so far," said focus group guru Frank Luntz, who had watched most of the speech standing next to Paul's campaign manager Chip Englander. "You've got to give them something different, and you've got to get them to pay attention for a year."
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Here ya' go.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Re: Frank Luntz

I think he is objective. He studies political communication and speeches. Some of his best reviews have been of Rand...
    "He probably got more applause than anyone I've seen speak here so far...
    What? We can't bash Frank Luntz today?!
    Oh well. Maybe Rand Paul will be the one who "surges".

It was a much older audience but they seemed receptive to the message.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Here ya' go.

Awesome, I had to make some pizza's while watching so I'm watching it again now.. Looks like a good speech so far! Thanks for the clip!
    "I am a bird"

Awesome, I had to make some pizza's while watching so I'm watching it again now.. Looks like a good speech so far! Thanks for the clip!
    Do not let Italian cuisine get in the way of Liberty...

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Here ya' go.

Thanks. Or if anyone wants to watch the whole event on the CSPAN website, Rand is introduced at 58:00

I wish he wouldn't say thank you thank you when he's getting large applause. That's always struck me as bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    ugg man coming over the hill singing
    LOL

from now on, in all debate / speech drinking games, "finish your drink" when this phrase is uttered
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    I wish he wouldn't say thank you thank you when he's getting large applause. That's always struck me as bizarre.
    It is funny that you mentioned that. When he did it I thought the same thing.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)