Thread: Robert Bates apologizes to family of Eric Harris... Sh*t happens

Robert Bates apologizes to family of Eric Harris... Sh*t happens

Tulsa reserve deputy accused of manslaughter for fatally shooting an unarmed suspect apologized to the dead man’s family, saying he "had no desire to ever take anyone's life."

In his first public comments since the shooting and his subsequent arrest on a manslaughter charge, 73-year-old cancer survivor Robert Bates said the killing was "the second worst thing" to happen to him - before quickly qualifying his comments by adding, "or first" worst thing.

“First and foremost,” Bates, surrounded by is wife, two daughters and attorney, said onNBC’s “Today” show on Friday, “let me apologize to the family of Eric Harris. This is the second worst thing to ever happen to me - or first.

"I’ve had cancer a number of years ago, I didn’t think I was going to get there. Luckily, I was able to go to a hospital where I had hours of surgery. I rate this as number one on my list of things in my life that I regret.”

“This has happened a number of times around the country, I have read about it in the past,” Bates said.“I thought to myself after reading several cases, ‘I don’t understand how this could happen.’ You must believe me, it can happen to anyone.”

At one point in the eight minute interview, during which his daughters and wife rubbed his shoulders to console him, Bates, prompted by interviewer Matt Lauer, got up to show where he keeps his weapons while acting as a reserve deputy. The stun gun, he said, is kept in front, tucked into a jacket in a special holster. His revolver, he said, is kept on the right side of his belt “toward the rear.”

The April 2 incident was caught on the body camera of a Tulsa, Okla., sheriff’s deputy who was on top of Harris when the fatal shot rang out. Audio of the video catches Harris yell out, “taser, taser!” immediately before he fires.

“Oh, I shot him. I’m sorry,” Bates said as deputies continued to cuff and subdue Harris, who cried out in pain and yelled, “He shot me!” and said he can’t breathe.

Bates added: “I never considered the repercussions of what I had just done. It was shock, I can tell you it stayed with me for a number of days. I’m not at all sure it’s not still with me today – lack of sleep, inability to concentrate – all of those plus more. I still can’t believe it happened.”

Bates surrendered to police on the manslaughter charge Tuesday and is free on $25,000 bond. On Wednesday, local newspaper the Tulsa World reported that supervisors falsified training and weapons certifications for Bates so that he could participate in the reserve program, even without the necessary 480 hours in the Field Officer Training program.

Glanz, the sheriff, said his department can’t find some of Bates’ certification records.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2188740
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was the shooting a wrongful death?

Carrying a firearm means also carrying a responsibility.

If you wrongfully shoot a man, be prepared for the consequences. All the sorry's in the world wont bring that man back, and your bout with cancer is completely irrelevant. There should be no badge to cower behind, or all of these other irrelevant details.

Again, remorse isn't going to bring someone back - this man is sharing thoughts that he should have had before he ever strapped that gun on his hip.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

On Wednesday, local newspaper the Tulsa World reported that supervisors falsified training and weapons certifications for Bates so that he could participate in the reserve program, even without the necessary 480 hours in the Field Officer Training program.
    Sounds to me like some charges should be filed against those supervisors.

It also sounds like the poster that commented that this sounded liked a guided hunting trip was right on.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Sounds to me like some charges should be field against those supervisors.

It also sounds like the poster that commented that this sounded liked a guided hunting trip was right on.
    Yeah, something very wrong about this whole thing. Either this was incompetence all around (most likely), or there was a sinister motive here.

A 73 year old with no training on the streets with a full utility belt of weapons? This guy probably puts his car keys in the freezer and brushes his teeth with shaving cream. No way he should be allowed to do this.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I keep seeing a lot of people talking about this guy's age. I think its another irrelevant detail.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I keep seeing a lot of people talking about this guy's age. I think its another irrelevant detail.

maybe, but it is inevitable that we all slow down mentally and physically as we age. Mileage may differ, plus the guy bought his way in to playing Dick Tracy...

his life is over regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    maybe, but it is inevitable that we all slow down mentally and physically as we age. Mileage may differ, plus the guy bought his way in to playing Dick Tracy...

his life is over regardless.
    You're probably right about his life being over.

You're also spot on about how some people slow down when they get older.

Still, that doesn't relieve the burden of responsibility for carry. Nor should it deny anyone the right.. Not to put words in anyone's mouths, but to imply that age was a factor here may support denying decent people a fundamental right, simply because they're older.

Otis McDonald was in his 70's when he took his case against the city of Chicago - that man had every right to carry, and had arguably more need than many in their 20's and 30's (not that having a need is any kind of qualifier for a right either).

To me, the headline should read - "Man wrongfully shoots/kills another man, and is remorseful for his negligent, irresponsible, and lethal action".

Gulag Chief:

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Should be charged under USC title 18 sections 241-242==== Criminal actions

Sued under title USC 42 section 1983--- Civil action

Acesfull

Normally, I would agree. But in this case, it's a job that a senior citizen should never be doing. Is this guy going to wrestle a suspect to the ground? Take a punch from a 25 year old? At his age, he has only one option, and in this case, he used it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Normally, I would agree. But in this case, it's a job that a senior citizen should never be doing. Is this guy going to wrestle a suspect to the ground? Take a punch from a 25 year old? At his age, he has only one option, and in this case, he used it.
    In this particular case, he had a better option -- to do nothing. I think two other deputies had the guy pinned to the ground, and the pay-to-play deputy either saw it as a chance to *finally* use his taser on somebody, or he panicked thinking he just had to do something to help out, to validate his presence.

And this was all over the suspect trying to sell a pistol to an undercover deputy ?

I didn't know there were restrictions on private sales of guns in most states, unless maybe the seller is a felon, selling to a known felon, or is selling a gun known by him to be stolen (I'm guessing the deceased was a felon in possession, though I thought it was generally the BATF who pursued trying to entrap people concerning such things).

+rep

You're probably right about his life being over.

You're also spot on about how some people slow down when they get older.

Still, that doesn't relieve the burden of responsibility for carry. Nor should it deny anyone the right.. Not to put words in anyone's mouths, but to imply that age was a factor here may support denying decent people a fundamental right, simply because they're older.

Otis McDonald was in his 70's when he took his case against the city of Chicago - that man had every right to carry, and had arguably more need than many in their 20's and 30's (not that having a need is any kind of qualifier for a right either).

To me, the headline should read - "Man wrongfully shoots/kills another man, and is remorseful for his negligent, irresponsible, and lethal action".

I will say this, he shows 1000 times more remorse than your typical "paid" cop that blows somebody away.

Even when $#@! ups occur, (which at this point I have no reason to believe it was not a $#@! up) the volunteer model is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    It was an accident. He said "sorry."
    We should accept his apology and move on.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    We should accept his apology and move on.
    Missteps were made

Volunteer deputy heading to Bahamas amid manslaughter charge

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - A volunteer sheriff's deputy plans to vacation in the Bahamas while facing a second-degree manslaughter charge in Oklahoma, his attorneys told a judge Tuesday, drawing immediate criticism from the family of the man he killed.

Robert Bates pleaded not guilty during the hearing in Tulsa district court. The 73-year-old former insurance executive has said he confused his handgun for a stun gun when he shot Eric Harris after the suspect ran during a sting investigation involving gun sales.

Bates' lawyers told the judge that Bates, a reserve deputy with the Tulsa County sheriff's office, and his family planned to take their previously planned vacation ahead of his next court date in July.

"It's really not an issue," Corbin Brewster, one of Bates' attorneys, said in an interview after the hearing.

Harris' family criticized the trip, saying it sends a message "of apathy with respect to the shooting and Eric's life."

"At a time when we are still mourning the death of a loved one that he shot down in the street, Mr. Bates will be relaxing and enjoying his wealth and privilege," the family said in a statement released Tuesday.
    Read more: http://www.wsmv.com/story/28857655/v...#ixzz3Y2vRLy2m

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, at least he paid for his own vacation.

New hunting grounds...
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hopefully that will help with the stress he must be under now.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You heard the guy. He was tore up for real, whole days with not being able to sleep and such. All over a victimless unconstitutional crime against the state. He will just go plug back into FOX news and be patted on the back by the statists. Could happen to anyone? Piss off.

But Sheriff Stanley Glanz said Bates - his longtime insurance agent and former campaign manager - had been properly trained and passed annual firearms certifications required by the state.

Hunting expedition indeed.

Robert Bates was just sentenced to four years in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I will say this, he shows 1000 times more remorse than your typical "paid" cop that blows somebody away.

Even when $#@! ups occur, (which at this point I have no reason to believe it was not a $#@! up) the volunteer model is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Robert Bates was just sentenced to four years in prison.
    And not punished the same either.

maybe when he gets out, he can get a part-time job guarding silverbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    And not punished the same either.
    No kidding, four years for manslaughter.

They'd have to fight hard just to nail an actual cop with four years in prison, and we're talking about charges worse than manslaughter on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.